[thoughts] The Sinfulness of Man (February 28 - March 6, 2005)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005
      I have no control over and hereby disclaim ads/links above.

      May I please have your Travelocity business?
      Thank you!

      (Romans 1:16-20; 3:9-20)

      Do you put yourself in a different category from certain others,
      thinking them to be worse than you?

      Do you acknowledge your own enticements by, struggles with, and
      surrenders to sin?

      Do you turn to Jesus daily for grace for victory and cleansing?

      Nobody is naturally perfect.
      Aside from the Holy One, nobody else born of a woman has lived
      life perfectly before God. We all have a bent toward sin. We all
      have a strong attraction for sin. That puts us all in the same
      category and on the same plane: guilty. "There is none righteous,
      no, not one . . . they are together become unprofitable" (Romans

      God is knowable.
      No matter how we choose to compare, God is far above us. But He
      is not so far beyond us as to be unreachable and unknowable. Quite
      to the contrary, He chooses (and delights) to make Himself known.
      Those who choose to avoid knowing God also choose to expose
      themselves to the fulness of His wrath. "That which may be known of
      God . . . God hath shewed it unto them . . . so that they are
      without excuse" (Romans 1:19,20).

      The Gospel reveals God's power and righteousness.
      In the Gospel we see God's personal righteousness. In the
      Gospel we also personally experience God's own power of redemption.
      How then shall we be ashamed of it?

      Because of faith, the just live.
      Faith in Jesus takes us from death to life in an instant. Then
      faith in Jesus leads us and empower us for abundant Godly living.

      What about those who have not heard the Gospel of Jesus?
      God knows. And in His love, grace, and justice, He has made
      sure that everyone can know Him (Romans 1:19,20). We can rest in
      that. However, we cannot afford to be inactive in our rest! We have
      been called, commissioned, and empowered to be participants in
      God's plan for mankind.
      "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did
      beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled
      to God" (2 Corinthians 5:20).

      What are some characteristics of the Christian's new nature?
      The answer's varied dimensions and angles are presented
      throughout the Scriptures. In today's lesson we can take the
      opposites of the descriptions in Romans 3:10-18 as character traits
      of our new nature in Jesus. We are righteous and understanding. We
      seek after God and walk in His way. We are profitable to Him. We do
      good. From our mouth comes a fountain of life and truth, blessing
      with the sweetness of Jesus those who listen. Our feet are swift
      with the redemptive message of the shed blood of Jesus. The people
      in our wake are built up and blessed. We know the way of peace and
      walk in it in the fear of God.

      Despite my new nature in Jesus, I continue to sin. Why?
      You live in a body that has not yet been redeemed. Your flesh
      is yours, obviously, but it is traitorous to your new nature, which
      just as obviously, is also yours. Take heart -- Jesus *is* at work
      in you. He *will* perfect that which concerns you (Psalm 138:8;
      Philippians 1:6).