[thoughts] The Superiority of Christ (May 31 - June 6, 2004)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2004
      I have no control over and hereby disclaim ads/links above.

      My apologies for missing last week's devotional!

      Anabaptist Bookstore:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/catalog/

      THE SUPERIORITY OF CHRIST
      (Hebrews 1:1-9; 2:1-4)

      A SUPERIOR MESSENGER!

      When God began His relationship with man, He connected very directly and
      personally with Adam and Eve. One could easily get the impression that He
      visited them daily, going on walks with them through the garden (Genesis
      3:8). He did not rely on any kind of messenger to communicate with them. He
      was His own messenger, revealing Himself to His special creatures
      personally and directly. Adam and Eve learned to know God, His will, and
      His ways from God Himself!

      Alas, only a little time had unwound from history's clock till this
      incredible relationship ceased and the man and his wife found themselves
      banished from God's presence. As time continued to tick away, the
      connection between God and man grew flimsier. Oh, God continued to speak to
      mankind, alright -- especially to His chosen people -- but it just wasn't
      the same. He mostly used human messengers to relay His words to their
      fellow humans. No, it just wasn't the same.

      Then came that scheduled event for which God surely had waited with
      tremendous anticipation. He sent to earth a superior Messenger -- The Best
      Messenger of All. God sent His Son to restore and to enable our communion
      with Him. But as wonderful as that may sound, we cannot let that distract
      us from a deeper reality: The Father and the Son are one! That means God
      didn't just send us another messenger to tell us about Himself, He Himself
      came to us directly and personally!

      "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the
      fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son
      . . . unto [Whom] he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a
      sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom" (Hebrews 1:1,2,8).
      Jesus! Emmanuel! God with us!

      A SUPERIOR MESSAGE?

      In the opening chapters of the Bible (and of time), God communicated
      directly with man. Then we have year after year and chapter after chapter
      of God speaking to His people through a few selected men and even fewer
      selected women. Finally, God came again, speaking unto us by His Son. His
      Son eventually left, promptly sending the Holy Spirit to maintain God's
      direct and personal presence with (and in!) His people.

      As you know, all of this generated many chapters compiled into what we call
      the Bible. It is the written revelation of God, His will, and His ways. It
      is His message to us. I have an crucial question for you, though: Is God's
      message through His Son superior to His message through His prophets and
      apostles?

      What you are reading right now, I wrote by my own hand. I am commissioning
      this message to you. If I commissioned someone to go deliver this message,
      that could conceivably be more special. Or I could present my message to
      you directly. But the message is still mine.

      Can you see how, in a feeble and flawed way, that shows the equality of the
      message through the prophets, through the Son, and through the apostles? It
      is still God's own message. So heed it; live it!