[thoughts] Asking for a Gift (December 1-7, 2003)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      I have no control over and hereby disclaim ads/links above.

      New at Anabaptist Bookstore:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/added.html

      A CHILD FOR THE LORD
      (1 Samuel 1:20, 26-28; 2:1-8)

      ASKING FOR A GIFT

      Hannah desperately wanted a gift . . . *from* God. She had no
      children. How she craved a son! Years of marriage did not result in
      that need being met, so in her desperation she called on God. By
      this time she knew clearly that having a child was not normal for
      her. She knew it would require special divine intervention. So she
      went to the giver of life and asked for that gift.

      Hannah desperately wanted a gift . . . *for* God. She wanted her
      very own son to dedicate to God. She knew of the corruption of the
      priests; perhaps she hoped a son of hers would be God's tool to
      revive that office as well as the nation. Perhaps God gave her the
      vision that no child born to the current batch of priests would
      bring about this revival. God may have shown her that the spiritual
      condition of the priesthood and of the nation required special
      divine intervention. Whatever the case, she went to the giver of
      life and asked for that gift to give back to Him.

      God answered! Hannah received her gift from God. She cherished and
      nourished this child until he was old enough to survive without
      her. During that time she made certain that he got a good launch in
      life. She tended to his physical needs and development, of course,
      but she also saw to his spiritual, moral, and social needs and
      foundations. In all this, Hannah's cup of joy and fulfillment was
      filled more and more.

      Hannah answered! God received His gift from her. The boy she had
      cherished, nourished, and prepared was finally in the house of God
      where he belonged. She would still cherish him. She would still
      pray for his ongoing nourishment and preparation. Though he had
      always been God's, her gift had at last been fully and completely
      finalized. She completed the process: Samuel had transitioned from
      being *dedicated* to service to actually *being* in service. Now
      Hannah's joy and fulfillment sloshed over the rim of her cup,
      overflowing in exultant praise and glory to the Giver who was also
      the Recipient.

      Perhaps thoughts like these meander through your mind: *What a nice
      story, albeit terribly familiar. But what's in it for me? Is it
      supposed to be practical to me somehow?* My friend, I obviously
      can't speak for you, but I see at least one practical application
      for me. I need long-range, Kingdom-oriented vision and purpose in
      my asking. Hannah had that; I want it. Do you? Then that makes an
      excellent first request!

      BEING THAT GIFT

      Why do you exist?

      Your presence on this planet may well be the result of your parents
      petitioning God for a gift. Then all I have to say to you here is
      this: Get on with fulfilling the vision of your parents and the
      purposes of God!

      On the other hand, my dear reader, *your* presence here may not
      have been requested by your parents. For all that I know, you may
      be a so-called "illegitimate child," like my granddaughter. Take
      heart! Not only are you just as legitimate a child as anyone else,
      you are on this planet by special divine appointment. God chose to
      put you here! Get on with fulfilling His vision and purposes!