Thoughts for the Week -- March 8-14, 1999

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 1999

      The Voice and His Witness
      (John 1:19-34)

      John the Baptist identified himself as a voice, specifically, "the voice of
      one crying in the wilderness." John cried for repentance. John cried out
      the news of the coming One. John cried forth that the kingdom of Heaven was
      at hand. John was a voice, John had a voice, John used his voice to prepare
      the way for Jesus.

      Have you found *your* voice?

      Then came the day when Jesus appeared on the scene of John's ministry. John
      saw Him...and used his voice: "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away
      the sin of the world."

      John was not so caught up with his ministry and his message that he missed
      seeing Jesus. John was not so consumed with himself and his surroundings
      that he missed seeing Jesus. John was not so aware of the people that he
      missed seeing the Person. I wish this were true of me.

      I can get so involved with these youth pages...that I can actually miss
      seeing Jesus. I can become so involved with the direction of the mission
      board...that I miss seeing Jesus. I can get so bogged down with my failings
      (and successes)...that I miss seeing Jesus. I can become so consumed in my
      pursuit of solutions to interpersonal problems...that I miss seeing Jesus.

      My friend, how can I point out *the Lamb of God* to others if I have missed
      seeing Him myself? Life is not about youth pages, mission boards, failings
      (and successes) and interpersonal relationships. Life is about Jesus!
      Because Jesus is life. And Jesus is the One who takes away the sin of the
      world.

      Have *you* seen Him?

      Have *you* found your voice?

      Would men know you've been with Jesus? They need to know by your voice.
      They also need to know by your life. Let your life develop into one that
      points to Jesus, "Behold the Lamb of God!" May those around you see in
      daily walk and action that you have His life divine. When they are near you
      may they feel His presence near.

      We will never be the voice crying in the wilderness. I believe, though,
      that God calls each one of us to be a voice calling in the moral wilderness
      in which we live. And wilderness it is, hastening steadily toward absolute
      depravity not seen since Noah's time.

      Noah found refuge in his ark. Your refuge is in the Lamb of God. But you
      will not reach that refuge if you do not see Him! Nor will you help others
      to safety if, having seen Him, you do not find your voice.

      Have you seen Him today? Did you even look for Him?

      Imagine John, preaching and answering questions...but scanning the crowd,
      looking for the One his spirit would identify as the focus of his message.
      And then..."Behold the Lamb of God!"

      Anabaptists -- http://www.anabaptists.org

      Please, double-click to vote for the Anabaptists Web Site:

      http://www.stpt.com/vote.asp?spvote_id=29988
      (at Starting Point)

      Just don't vote more than once a day.

      Thanks!