[thoughts] Righteous before God (December 2-8, 2002)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      If you're going to buy books from Amazon.com,
      please use my gateway!
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/amazon/

      A RIGHTEOUS COUPLE
      (Luke 1:5-14; 39-45, 57, 58)

      RIGHTEOUS BEFORE GOD?

      "And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the
      commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless" (Luke 1:6). What
      an amazing thing to have the Bible say about you! It makes me wish
      I could have known Zacharias and Elisabeth; perhaps I could have
      learned the secret of their righteous blamelessness. I would like
      to have known some of the other Biblical characters who got this
      kind of incredible recognition from God. I'll point out two others.

      First consider a man who "walked with God" and "was a just man and
      perfect in his generations" (Genesis 6:9). About this man, God
      declared, "Thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation"
      (Genesis 7:1). I suppose the references give away his identity:
      Noah. His society and acquaintances offered him no help in living
      that just, perfect, righteous life. So such a life is surely
      attainable for us in *our* generation!

      The other man? Well, God said there was "none like him in the
      earth." Sounds like another Noah-type, doesn't it? God also said
      this man was "perfect and upright . . . and eschewed evil." When
      God looked in this man heart and when He considered this man's
      ways, He saw "one that feared God." Without question, Job also was
      righteous before God (Job 1:1,8). Job had such integrity that God
      Himself was quick to stand up for him. That assures me that even
      today, God stands up in defense of His people.

      OK, fine. So there we have four people who get this kind of
      distinctive recognition for righteousness. Do these character
      snapshots offer us any kind of key that we might use to unlock the
      secret of their godliness? Just what enabled them to attain to
      righteousness *before God*?

      I think the answer lies in their choices. Make that their *daily*
      choices. These people made God their foremost choice. Then that
      choice guided them in all their other choices which in turn
      affected or reflected their characters and lives. These people
      chose to walk with God, living righteously because of their
      communion with Him. This walk of theirs was visible and tangible
      because it found partial expression through obedience to His ways
      and commands. And do you know something else? You and I can make
      those same choices and experience the same results!

      This is possible because Jesus gave Himself fully and without
      reserve for us, "that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and
      purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works"
      (Titus 2:14). His selfless death for us makes it possible for Him
      to present us "holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight"
      (Colossians 1:22). I am amazed that this could be for . . . and
      about . . . Mark Roth. And it is no less for *you*! If we have been
      redeemed by the blood of Jesus, the coming of Jesus Christ will
      find our hearts established in unblameable "holiness before God,
      even our Father." Do you believe that? I do, because that is what
      1 Thessalonians 3:13 says! This is possible because of "the
      righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ" (Romans
      3:22).

      So let's make the daily choices that are both demonstrations and
      results of our commitment to walk with God. Will you give your life
      to ongoing obedience to God and His Word? Then God Himself will
      find you righteous in your generation!

      HIS LOT WAS . . .

      Luke 1:9 illustrates the faithfulness of Zacharias. He had an
      assignment, so he did it. And he did it the right way. What is your
      lot right now? No matter what God gives you to do, do it! And do it
      the right way! Your faithfulness in that makes it easier for God to
      show you your next lot. Remember, getting today's assignment done
      is more important than knowing what our assignment will be for
      tomorrow.

      Webmasters: Did you know this is a syndicated column?
      With two lines of code, you can put it on
      your own site...and that's it. Click this
      link for more details:

      http://www.anabaptists.org/syndicate.html