[thoughts] Sowing and Reaping (September 2-8, 2002)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      Check out my expanding link archive from here:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/daily.html

      Now for this week's thoughts....

      MANASSEH: SOWING, REAPING, AND REPENTING
      (2 Chronicles 33:1-13)

      YESTERDAY'S PLANTING

      Earlier this year we wanted corn, carrots, beans, zucchini,
      cucumbers, and other vegetables later this year. So we planted
      corn, carrots, beans, zucchini, cucumbers, and other vegetables. In
      addition to taste beauty we wanted visual beauty for our garden, so
      we planted various flowers. And since we hoped gophers and moles
      would avoid our garden, we planted tobacco. Would you be left in
      stunned amazement if I told you the seeds and seedlings produced
      exactly what they were supposed to produce? Of course not! It's
      just one of those things -- any harvesting done is the direct
      result of what is sown.

      I wonder if Manasseh ever wondered why his life became so difficult
      and miserable. It seems to me that, by the time he found himself in
      captivity, he figured out that his afflicted harvest resulted from
      his godless sowing. So he changed seeds in his planter, and his
      harvest eventually changed. Too bad the lesson struck home so late
      in life for him. Too bad he didn't seriously analyze life
      agriculture while he was yet young, learning from the miserable
      experience of other godless kings.

      But what about you? What did you plant in your life yesterday? If
      you don't harvest the same today, you surely will tomorrow or in
      some future tomorrow. My friend, it is so abjectly foolish to have
      sown thorns, poison ivy, and wild oats yesterday just because they
      weren't going to produce an undesirable harvest on that same day!
      Though you have no guarantee of tomorrow, you need to pick the
      seeds you plant as though tomorrow *were* guaranteed! That means
      you should treat the present with no more value than you do the
      future. People who live for the present and the fun of it minimize
      the value of tomorrow. How absolutely stupid! So let's remember
      that our life tomorrow is just as much our life as is our life
      today. Why shortchange *myself* tomorrow by planting an unwise
      harvest today?

      If yesterday you planted selfishness, unkindness, disrespect,
      insubmission, lawlessness, lust, covetousness, gossip, theft, or
      some other evil seed, repent! Where restitution and apologies are
      necessary, make amends. Then plant new seed which is after
      righteousness. You thought Manasseh should have learned from
      others, so you learn from Manasseh.

      By God's grace, I'll do the same.

      MY CHOICES; MY INFLUENCE

      Manasseh made bad choices which brought him a bad harvest. Alas,
      his choices influenced other people, causing them to err and
      bringing on them a bad harvest as well. I want to avoid this kind
      of effect from my life. If you do also, join me in taking up the
      Titus Challenge: "In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good
      works" (Titus 2:7). The Timothy Challenge has a similar ring to it:
      "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the
      believers" (1 Timothy 4:12).

      HAVE YOU HEARD GOD RECENTLY?

      Manasseh and his people "would not hearken" when God spoke to them
      (2 Chronicles 33:10). How well did you hear Him in this lesson, in
      the sermon, in your personal devotional time, or during family
      Bible reading?