[thoughts] Remembering (July 8-14, 2002)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 3:49 AM
      New at Anabaptist Bookstore:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/added.html

      Now for this week's thoughts....

      WE WORSHIP OUR CREATOR
      (Psalm 8)

      July 8-14, 2002

      HE REMEMBERS ME!

      We humans assign significance to size. The bigger something is,
      the more aware we are of it and the more easily we remember it.
      When you visit our place, it is more likely you will remember the
      huge redwood by our driveway than the small apple tree (buried in
      the blackberries out back).

      What if God were that way? If I were by the Grand Canyon, He
      wouldn't even notice me. If I were on Mt. Hood, He would miss
      seeing me. If I were amid the skyscrapers of New York City, I
      would be out of His sight. And since I'm only one of more than
      six billion puny humans on a little planet in a small solar
      system in one of countless of galaxies scattered across a
      monstrous universe, I would most certainly not come to His mind.

      Praise be to God, He is *not* that way! He *is* mindful of me. He
      not only remembers me, He also cares about me. He loves even me.
      Do you get it?! I am important to Him . . . and so are you!

      Because God remember us, He has pity and compassion on us. He
      remembers our weakness and frailty, dealing with us with the
      gentleness of a loving father toward his small children. "Like as
      a father pitieth his children, so the LORD putteth them that fear
      him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust"
      (Psalm 103:13,14).

      Because God remembers us with compassion, He also extends to us
      much-needed forgiveness and mercy. Remembering us and our
      imperfect mortality, He generously defers His righteous anger
      many times. "But he, being full of compassion, forgave their
      iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his
      anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath. For he remembered
      that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh
      not again" (Psalm 78:38,39).

      How often we hear of mothers and fathers who forget their
      children in hot cars, returning hours later to find them dead. We
      also hear more and more of abusive parents who kill their
      children, accidentally or purposefully. And of course we know of
      fathers and mothers who reject their babies, aborting them before
      birth or dumping them afterward. Such parental behavior is
      contrary to nature. In this context, let Isaiah 49:15 bless you
      in a special way: "Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she
      should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may
      forget, yet will I not forget thee."

      DO I REMEMBER?

      I said at the beginning that we assign significance to size. I
      should amend that to read *physical* size. Otherwise we would
      never forget, overlook, and disregard God. Way back many years
      ago, God's people received this warning (which they disregarded):
      "Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his
      commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I
      command thee this day" (Deuteronomy 8:11).

      Many folks remember God in a glib sort of way. They believe there
      is a God and at times they even profess to see Him at work. But
      even in their remembering, they forget.

      How can that be? It seems senseless to say we can forget while
      remembering. The explanation is found in Deuteronomy 8:11 -- to
      God, disobeying Him is the same as forgetting Him. So, do you
      remember God?