[thoughts] Chidren of God (May 6-12, 2002)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2002
      I have no control over any ad or link that may appear above.
      So I would prefer you gave consideration to this one instead!
      Check out my updated and expanded online CLE catalog:

      Today's lesson focuses our attention once again on this
      incredible truth: We are God's children. I'm afraid, though, that
      our minds aren't terribly warmed and awed by this privilege and
      position given us through faith. So perhaps we need to begin by
      asking Him to banish that chill and indifference from our hearts.

      Our confession of faith in Jesus has brought about our adoption
      into God's family. As we will note in the following verses, this
      kinship brings great blessings and responsibilities upon us.

      "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the
      children of God" (Matthew 5:9). Peace follows God's sons and
      daughters. They promote peace, they seek peace, they follow after
      peace, they love peace. Their relationship with the Prince of
      Peace affects their own relationships with others as well as the
      relationships others have among themselves.

      "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of
      the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God,
      neither he that loveth not his brother" (1 John 3:10). God's
      children do what is right. They also love others. You can count
      on it; it's their nature. These character traits make them stand
      out so that they cannot be overlooked. They don't set out to call
      attention to themselves, but that is precisely what happens, they
      are so unique.

      "As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the
      former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you
      is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation" (1 Peter
      1:14,15). God's children are formed, fashioned, and shaped by
      holiness, not ungodly lusts. No aspect of their lives is
      untouched by the holiness of their Father. They exhibit and exude
      purity through and through. They have been sanctified for the
      Father's use; they bear His name.

      "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith
      the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive
      you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and
      daughters, saith the Lord Almighty" (2 Corinthians 6:17,18).
      Because of their consecration, God receives His children,
      recognizing them as His own. Gladly, lovingly, He shoulders the
      responsibilities of Fatherhood. Loved and accepted, they rest
      securely and in peace.

      "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are
      the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God,
      and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him,
      that we may be also glorified together" (Romans 8:16,17). Not
      only has God adopted us and made us full heirs with Jesus, He has
      also given us His Spirit to establish and assure us of our
      kinship with Him! Furthermore, because of our relationship with
      Him, we know that any suffering with Him and for Him will result
      in our being glorified with Jesus. Now tell me, what could we
      possibly suffer that wouldn't be worth that?!

      "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us,
      that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world
      knoweth us not, because it knew him not" (1 John 3:1). Behold!
      Consider! Give careful thought! How much the Father must love us
      to grant us the honor of taking His name. Oh sure, the world
      won't look on us kindly for it, but what else is new? They didn't
      look kindly on Him either. Besides, the best is yet to come (1
      John 3:2)!

      "Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in
      love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us
      an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour"
      (Ephesians 5:1,2). As children of God, follow the same
      sacrificial way of love as Jesus walked. He's our Brother!

      Webmasters: Did you know this is a syndicated column?
      With two lines of code, you can put it on
      your own site...and that's it. Click this
      link for more details: