[thoughts] Spiritual Advantages (March 4-10, 2002)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2002
      New at Anabaptist Bookstore:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/added.html

      Now for this week's thoughts....

      OUR JUST GOD JUSTIFIES
      (Romans 3:1-4, 19-31)

      SPIRITUAL DISADVANTAGE?

      My children come from a long lineage of Christians. Our family tree
      has had its roots in the faith for generations. Christian life
      views, values, attitudes, and goals are absorbed with little
      thought or effort. Godly patterns of thought, speech, and action
      seem to come naturally. Does this mean we are perfect? No, not even
      remotely close. But without a doubt, we have been tremendously
      blessed with and because of our godly heritage. We clearly enjoy a
      great spiritual advantage.

      Perhaps your story is markedly different. Maybe you are a
      first-generation Christian. This whole business of living the
      Christian way is so contrary to so much of what you lived. Nothing
      about it seems to come naturally, and if you don't stay focused,
      you miss the mark more often than not. You have no godly heritage
      to back you up. You are at an obvious spiritual disadvantage.

      Right?

      Well, in a way, yes. However, I want you to consider just three
      spiritual advantages that are the birthright of every child of God.
      As you read these, keep in mind that these represent only a portion
      of the heritage and inheritance that God bestowed on you when you
      yielded to Him.

      Forgiveness.
      The long-term Christian and the novice Christian would find
      themselves in desperate straits without forgiveness. We all need it
      because we all fail. Forgiveness gives us the privilege of
      returning to right standing with God. Forgiveness enables us to try
      again without our past sins weighing us down and hindering our
      efforts. Forgiveness stands us upright after we have fallen.

      Fellowship.
      God knows that no one (neither I nor you) can walk in the
      narrow way alone. So He comes to walk with us by living in us. He
      comes to be our companion, friend, guide, and encourager. Without
      Him, we would be disadvantaged beyond help. With Him beside us, we
      truly live! While you rejoice in God's companionship, though, don't
      overlook another way He has blessed us. You see, in addition to
      walking with us, God also provides us the fellowship of the
      believers. Do not despise, minimize, or underestimate the value and
      importance of God's people. God has put them in your life for
      blessing!

      Grace.
      I wonder how long it would take to count all the definitions
      that have been used for this term. As a dimension of spiritual
      heritage, though, let's simply consider it as the desire and power
      to do God's will. Every Christian receives from God an ample supply
      of grace! Without it, victory would happen infrequently, if at all.
      Without grace in our lives personally, we are doomed to defeat
      without regard to how long we or our ancestors have been in the
      faith.

      ALL HAVE SINNED

      I am not the exception. Neither are you. No matter how much worse
      someone else might seem, the same awful judgment falls on everyone:
      "All have sinned" (Romans 3:23). But, praise the Lord, we needn't
      live under that condemnation! So I ask you, are you still damned?
      How about your friends? Just because someone else is worse than I
      am doesn't make me any less doomed if I haven't repented before
      the Lord and surrendered my life to Him

      Thank the Lord, He has redeemed me! I am saved by the blood of the
      Lamb. Clean! I am clean! And you too can be "justified freely by
      his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Romans
      3:24).