[thoughts] Where to turn (January 7-13, 2002)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2002
      Encourage someone:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/services/ecards/

      Now for this week's thoughts....

      REPENTANT SINNERS AND GOD'S GRACE
      (Isaiah 55:1-11)

      January 7-13, 2002

      DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO TURN?

      When people have a need, they carefully consider that need in order
      to determine where to go to have that need met. Generally speaking,
      when our sewing machine needs repairs we do not take it to the same
      place we take our vehicle when it needs repairs. By the same token,
      folks seeking out investment advice likely won't turn to a medical
      professional for that counsel. Even in a school setting, the odds
      are very low that a student will pull out a grammar reference book
      when he needs the formula for circumference of a circle.

      The first verse of today's lesson underscores the importance of
      knowing where to turn in our time of need: If you're thirsty, go
      where the drinking water is; if you have no money, go where the
      free stuff is. But this verse is more than a statement of such
      obvious facts; it is also an invitation! Listen: "Come ye to the
      waters... come, buy wine and milk without money and without price."
      What an offer!

      So I ask you, do you turn to the right place in your time of need?
      Don't make the awful mistake of depending on the wrong helpers and
      solutions. When you're struggling -- with dejection and rejection,
      with inadequacy and failure, with bitterness and temper, with
      loneliness and temptation, or with whatever else -- don't try to
      wing it on your own and definitely don't listen to the direction of
      the evil one. To do so would be even more foolhardy than trying to
      treat appendicitis with a squirt of Chloraseptic in your nose or a
      frenzied call to Microsoft customer support. Be sure to turn to the
      right Source to have your needs met! Turn to God, His Word, and His
      people.

      CHOOSE WHAT IS GOOD!

      In the Scriptures, bread often symbolizes that which is essential
      to life. "Give us this day our daily bread" is not only a request
      for that simple food you might put in a toaster. It is an appeal
      for all that we need to survive another day. In the same way,
      Isaiah 55:2 doesn't imply we should spend our money on buns, bread
      sticks, rolls, and loaves of bread. Rather, this verse asks a very
      difficult question: Why blow your money and waste your life on that
      which is neither essential nor fulfilling?

      I know, defining *essential* and *fulfilling* can be as frustrating
      and fruitless as tacking down a shadow or tracing around a water
      droplet. That is why we need to hearken diligently to Him. Only
      with His direction can we determine when something is
      essential...as well as when it ceases to be essential (that *does*
      happen, you know!). Only with His help can we find fulfillment
      without subjecting ourselves to all manner of experimentation as
      well as trial and error.

      Determine to invest your life and your resources wisely. Commit
      yourself to choosing only the good. Then follow that determination
      and that commitment with the acknowledging of God in all your ways,
      allowing Him to direct your paths (Proverbs 3:6).

      TREASURE THE WORD!

      The Psalmist proclaimed, "I will delight myself in thy statutes: I
      will not forget thy word" (Psalm 119:16). He treasured God's Word
      and he committed himself to treating it as a treasure. May have the
      same response to God's call to "incline your ear...hear, and your
      soul shall live" (Isaiah 55:3)!