Thoughts for the Week -- February 1, 1999

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 1999

      The Christian and the State
      (Romans 13)

      Why be subject to the State? After all, it has its share of evil and
      corruption. Besides it represents the kingdom of this world, whereas the
      Christian represents the heavenly Kingdom. Then, of course, there are those
      "certain laws" with which we have problems. So why be subject to it?

      "The powers that be are ordained of God." David refused to rise up against
      Saul because he was the anointed of the LORD. We should reject rebellion
      against the State because we see it as one of the powers God Himself has
      ordained.

      "Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God."
      A lack of subjection to the State is tantamount to a lack of subjection to
      God. Would we dare?! Those that resist stand in line awaiting damnation.

      "Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power?" Submission brings peace and
      safety, because those are the results of living within the boundaries of
      God's plan. Doing good blesses us with a freedom from fear.

      So we submit because of a certain fear factor, but we also submit because
      our consciences have been refined and brought into conformity with the will
      of God. We don't reject the authority of the State because we are God's,
      but quite to the contrary, we accept its authority because we are God's.

      But what about war and social program taxes? What about the funding of
      immoral and anti-Christian art? What about seatbelts, mandatory insurance,
      building codes, Social Security and a myriad intrusive, freedom-abusing laws?

      Yes, what about all this and more? Well, let me quote God on the subject:
      "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power
      but of God." Hear ye Him. Then obey.

      We must recognize, though, that this business of being subject to the State
      can easily go beyond relating to some sort of faceless entity. Personal
      feelings can quickly enter into the picture as we deal with or hear about
      State officials. Then what?

      As I write, the President of the United States find himself embroiled in a
      real mess involving character issues and accusations on various fronts. Of
      course I'll be subject to him as one of "the higher powers," but what shall
      be my attitude toward him?

      I suppose the biggest challenge I face is balancing revulsion for certain
      aspects of his character with compassion for his soul with subjection to
      him because of the power he represents. Thus, I can understand why a
      congressional representative of the opposing party would describe him with
      very uncomplimentary terms. But I cannot sanction such disregard for the
      man and his position and the God behind his power. I firmly believe that
      one aspect of fearing God is to honor the king. God's will is very clear!

      Anabaptists -- http://www.anabaptists.org
      Anabaptist Bookstore Online -- http://www.woodburns-own.com/books/

      Double-clicking the links here records votes for the
      Anabaptists Web Site:

      http://www.stpt.com/vote.asp?spvote_id=29988
      (at Starting Point Hot Sites)
      http://www.awesome-sites.com/vote.php3?sid=321