[thoughts] God and the Details (October 2-8, 2000)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2000
      Egroups placed the above message and link; not I.

      But I *did* pick some links for you:
      http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/links4you.html

      Now for this week's thoughts....

      Saul Rejected, David Anointed
      (1 Samuel 16:1-7,11-13)

      God cares about the details!
      Does rebellion always lead to rejection?

      The boss asked her to clean out the dog kennel. He also specified that the
      extra stuff should be put in the loft of the storage shed. The young lady
      dutifully took care to get the kennel cleaned out. And she got the extras
      put in the shed, though not in the loft. She was too tired and hot for
      that; she'd get to it some other day. She reported her task accomplished
      and her boss thanked and commended her generously. Alas, when the boss saw
      the extra stuff didn't get put in the loft as he had clearly specified, he
      "went ballistic." After a receiving thorough chewing-out, the young lady
      mused, "Why couldn't he be thankful for what I *did* do?!"

      Since we are not the young lady, we can easily see why the boss got upset
      with her. We have no problem seeing through the young lady's faulty logic
      as expressed in her musing. We know that incomplete obedience rarely
      satisfies those in authority. And we even figure that had the roles been
      reversed, the young lady would have been just as upset. But I wonder if we
      can achieve such perception and understanding in our own Christian living.

      Do we ever dare think that God doesn't care about the details and the
      "minors" of His will for us? And have we ever deceived ourselves into
      thinking we have obeyed completely and fully even though we haven't done
      all the details? If we have, then we do well to remember that Saul did also.

      God clearly commanded Saul, "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy
      all" (1 Samuel 15:3). Saul did only some of that: "But Saul and the people
      spared Agag, and the best...and all that was good, and would not utterly
      destroy them" (verse 9). Then Saul dared greet Samuel with "Blessed be thou
      of the LORD: I have performed the commandment of the LORD" (verse 13). But
      Samuel already knew God's perspective on Saul's "obedience": "It repenteth
      me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following
      me, and hath not performed my commandments" (1 Samuel 15:11).

      My friend, God does indeed care about the details. If He didn't, He
      wouldn't include them! So, please, please, take God at His Word...all of
      it. Do not indulge in the folly of Saul who thought he could choose to
      leave portions of God's will undone and still have it count as performing
      the commandment of the Lord.

      He was a likeable person who made friends easily. But he also lost friends
      easily. He just couldn't figure out why most people eventually became
      uncomfortable when he was around. The ongoing pattern of quick acceptance
      and eventual rejection hurt him deeply. He felt he didn't have any true
      friends. And he couldn't see that the trouble sprouted from his own heart.
      Despite many attractive personality traits, he suffered a huge character
      flaw: he had a rebel heart.

      Rebellion leads to rejection. This is most true in our relationship with
      God, of course, but it also holds true in many human relationships as well.
      To my knowledge, only two types of people like and befriend rebels: other
      rebels and non-rebels who have a heart to try to help rebels. All other
      people eventually reject those that they perceive as rebels.

      If you do not wish to be rejected as Saul was, then keep close guard over
      your heart. Do not allow it to become a rebel heart!

      Please forward these to two or three friends.

      Thank you!

      thoughts4week-unsubscribe@egroups.com