person and heart

  • James
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 11:37 AM
      Hello,

      As you probably know, I have been discussing the topic of the human person for some time now -- as Aquinas points out, the human person is what is most perfect in nature.  And as such, it gives us a more perfect view of created reality, for all things are made to perfect the person.  Every person is unique and made in the image of God, and therefore bears a Trinitarian-social nature, as the documents of Vatican II attest.  To understand the person therefore, we need not only the lights of natural reason, but also supernatural illumination.  This is provided by Revelation, Tradition, and Magisterium, and complemented by the science of theology and the wisdom of mystical experience (would that all people have this in abundance!).

      The last post concluded Maritain's exposition of mystical experience which is non-conceptual and above the reasoned arguments of theology, the fruit of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (given to one who has a personal relationship with the Spirit, I might add).

      The gift of the wisdom given in mystical experience however relies not only on faith by also upon charity or love.  Love is something found in the heart.

      Therefore it would be of help to peruse two books by Dietrich von Hildebrand, translated recently -- that is The Nature of Love and The Heart: An Analysis of Human and Divine Affectivity.

      These two books will help us expand our understanding of the human person beyond the classical distinction of the human soul as intellectual and volitional.  We will seek to fuse these new elements of heart and love into a more elevated understanding of the human person in light of social and Trinitarian realities.  The psychological element will come later -- dealing with consciousness, knowledge, deliberation, reasoning.

      Welcome to the list any new members!

      James