Welcome to new year!

  • jamesmiguez
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2009
      Hello Everyone,

      Welcome to all new members!  It's another year for all those who walk the halls of academia, or sit in the classrooms for credit or for pay, while some do profess the truth!

      Here on the thomism list we hope to continue our investigation into the reality and the meaning of the human person in particular but also to those persons divine and supernatural.

      As Aquinas points out there is nothing more perfect in nature than that of the person, and as such, Pope John Paul II urged all thomists to look more closely at the reality, dignity, truth of the human person, which of course we aim to do.

      The reality of the human person is something that escapes most philosophical interest, and its close ties with the thomist distinction of esse and essence is something that has never really been delineated.  I am speaking about the understanding of esse personale, or personal actuality or existence, a term used by Aquinas.

      With God's help we hope at least to make a start at this.  Post after post, principle after principle, a view begins to take shape and a vision, inchoate at first, comes to mind.

      So once again, welcome everyone to a sometimes active but usually simmering discussion.

      P.s. I hope to address also a few loose strands leftover from spring and summer.

      James