Human Person and Good Friday

  • jamesmiguez
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2009
      Dear Everyone,

      A blessed Good Friday to all!  In keeping with the topic of person, I would like to draw out a few considerations concerning the meaning of person and its relation to Good Friday.  As every Catholic and most Christians understand, Jesus was the second Person of the Trinity made flesh.  He was a divine Person who assumed a human nature.  This is the fact of the Incarnation.  Now Simon the Fisherman was the first to recognize this reality.  He answers: "You are the Son of the Living God".  For this deed, Simon's name was changed to Peter and he was awarded a special place in the Church; that is, he, in reflection of the living God, was to become a living foundation stone of the Church.  "Thou are Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church".  And the gates of hell were never to prevail against it.  Here a new society of people is born, A Church invincible, one that is built upon the very person to person relationship between Peter and Christ.

      Later under stress from persecution Peter denies Christ, but Christ in turn never denies him and takes this relationship between Peter and the Son of God to the cross and death, bringing along with it all the persons who are related to this first, seminal relationship of fallen humanity to God.

      It is not until centuries later that the full understanding of this relationship begins to take shape under the dogmas of the Trinity, and the term "person" is used to advocate this meaning.

      Philosophically it is advanced under the exposition of Boethius who in answering the heresies of Nestorius and Eutyches came up with the formulation of person as the "individuated substance of a rational nature", one that Aquinas accepted and deepened with his understanding of subsistence as related to esse.

      Aquinas, as it was pointed out earlier, drew a distinction from the understanding of person in general and the understanding of the human person, who is unique.  The human person is no abstraction!

      And the relationship between Jesus on the Cross, that is, the suffering Second Person of the Trinity made made man and crucified for love of all, and that of fallen humanity is universal in its salvific intent that all, yet unique for each person in each and every human person's relationship to Christ and to his or her place in the Church founded upon Peter, the first fallen person to recognize the Son of the living God.

      Thus Christ's death as the Second Person of the Trinity is unique for each of us in so far as our relationship to him as human person's is unique and irreplaceable, yet for all that it is founded upon the original relationship between Peter and Jesus so many years ago, yet alive in heaven.

      May we truly understand and appreaciate the love the Second Person of the Trinity has for us and how it was given to us through the human nature of Jesus nailed to a wretched cross and faithful to God and to Peter and to all.

      For in the resurrection of Jesus that was to follow, the denial of Christ by Peter, was to be healed and forgiven, and the Church of unified yet unique human persons born of Pentacost will be that of Peter strengthen, and a Church made invincible.

      Praised be Jesus Christ for this wonderful deed!

      Peace to all.

      James
    • Jim Ruddy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2009
        James,

        Thank you for these thoughts.

        I often imagine talks between Peter and Christ to be filled with energy, hurt, triumphant joy and ineradicable love that any friendship fosters between persons. The two must have shouted at each other, stomped away in exasperation, and then quickly reconciled. Food for thought.

        Thanks again,

        Jim

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2009
          --- In thomism@yahoogroups.com, Jim Ruddy <jim.ruddy@...> wrote:

          > James,
          >
          > Thank you for these thoughts.
          >
          > I often imagine talks between Peter and Christ to be filled with energy, hurt, triumphant joy and ineradicable love that any friendship fosters between persons. The two must have shouted at each other, stomped away in exasperation, and then quickly reconciled. Food for thought.

          Jim,

          You said it when you talked about the love that any friendship fosters between any two persons.  Love is the key and it is the truth of any relationship between persons. Love is the greatest truth and the foundation of all truth.  As St. Paul says, only love remains after all is said and done, and if when do not have love, we have nothing.  Indeed, love is part of the definition of person, for it takes love between two people, as in between the Father and the Son, to make a person, and this is why the Holy Spirit is spirated.  For the Holy Spirit is a person that comes from the relationship of love.  Where there is love, there is everything and the person subsists.  This is why the Boethian definition of a person as an individual substance of a rational nature does not suffice to capture the full picture of person.  The person is never a mere individual, or a substance subsisting alone in itself.  For a person to subsist there must be a loving relationship between two people that influences other people in turn.

          It is the love between the Father and the Son that led to the power of the Holy Spirit and the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the tomb.

          James