On the soul -- STh I, 75, 1-4

  • jamesmiguez
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
      Dear Francisco,

      The articles 1-4 in STh I, 75 answer very precisely your questions about the soul, and the past conceptions in Christianity that for all practical purposes often equated the human person with the "soul".  As Aquinas points out in these article (noted above), this concept is essentially a platonic one (and as we know historically held sway a long time).  And it does not do justice to the full concept of man, or the human person a fortiori.

      On a personal note, the mardi gras fever is beginning to take its place once again in South Louisiana, and I will hope nonetheless to take time to go against the grain and stand for soberity and thomist thought, for I do not like to chase beads or get drunk.

      Abstractions alone are not enough, of course, but without the universal concept, the tyranny of the particular reigns both in physics and imagination.  The only thing universal about
      mardi gras is the abnegation of thought and sense.  It is the opposite of platonism.

      Thomism stands for the balance of intellect and sense united in the human person (indeed as Aquinas says in these articles).

      Hope to continue on the human person.

      James