Re: Thomism with Microsoft and LInux

  • Jim Ruddy
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2007
      Jmaes,

      I am an ex-Dominican priest who taught traditional Thomism at the
      Dominican School of Philsophy and Theology in Berkeley CA for several
      years. I also taught classes and seminars in Husserlian
      phenomenology, Indian Philsophy and continental thought in general at
      the Graduate Theological Union..

      I left teaching and the priesthood in 1984 in order to stay with my
      father who had come down with cancer. I am still a faithful adherent
      to the magisterium of the Catholic Church.

      Eventually I went into business, and, for the last 7 years, have been
      working as a Microsoft SQL Server DBA. At present I am employed by a
      company that provides software for US government projects.

      If you have tabular files or spreadsheets of some sort dealing with
      Aquinas or Thomism that you want organized, you could forward them to
      me, and I would be happy to construct a viable SQL Server database
      for that material. It could have a Access front end that could be web-
      based if you wish, and thus become accessible on the Internet.

      Let me know what would be helpful.

      Jim

      --- In thomism@yahoogroups.com, "jamesmiguez" <jamesmiguez@...> wrote:

      > Dear Everyone,
      >
      > If anyone is interested in working with computer software capable of
      > making the study and organization of thomism (or philosophy for that
      > matter) easier, let me know. I am now in the process of working
      with
      > both Microsoft windows and with Linux free software
      (programmable). I
      > have been meaning to do this for some time, but I had never had the
      > opportunity. Also I will experiment with voice software. It all
      > promises to be interesting and worth your while. Please let me
      know if
      > you are interested. Jump on board! To the future,
      >
      > James
      >
      > P.s. we will also work with HTML and JavaScript.
      >
      > This message was sent via Linux.
      >

      > Thanks!

    • jamesmiguez
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2007

        --- In thomism@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ruddy" <jim.ruddy@...> wrote:

        > Jmaes,
        >
        > I am an ex-Dominican priest who taught traditional Thomism at the
        > Dominican School of Philsophy and Theology in Berkeley CA for several
        > years. I also taught classes and seminars in Husserlian
        > phenomenology, Indian Philsophy and continental thought in general at
        > the Graduate Theological Union..
        >
        > I left teaching and the priesthood in 1984 in order to stay with my
        > father who had come down with cancer. I am still a faithful adherent
        > to the magisterium of the Catholic Church.
        >
        > Eventually I went into business, and, for the last 7 years, have been
        > working as a Microsoft SQL Server DBA. At present I am employed by a
        > company that provides software for US government projects.
        >
        > If you have tabular files or spreadsheets of some sort dealing with
        > Aquinas or Thomism that you want organized, you could forward them to
        > me, and I would be happy to construct a viable SQL Server database
        > for that material. It could have a Access front end that could be web-
        > based if you wish, and thus become accessible on the Internet.
        >
        > Let me know what would be helpful.

        Dear Jim,

        Thanks for writing and for joining the thomism list.  I am glad that you are faithful to the magisterium and that you are familar with philosophy and thomism/and or Aquinas.

        I hope you are doing well.  As regards your business expertise, I am not that knowledgeable of Microsoft's SQL database server, but I do  understand the principles involved, so I believe I could understand the details of exactly what you are talking about if explained.

        In respect to the data I have on thomistic philosophy or theology, I would have to say at the outset that I  do not have presently the information on thomism stored in any kind of database system per se.  The information I do have is stored in a series of articles or posts on certain subjects that are more or less accurately labeled.   The ultimate organization of these materials is in my mind or intellect.  Unfortunately I have not had the time to more energetically put this info into a database software.

        However as I wrote the articles or posts over a period of years, I did have organization in mind.  Its just not explicitly set out in software.

        As for your suggestions, I am not sure if you put a technical meaning to the word "tabular files".  The files I do have could be arranged with tabs, if further work is done.  For certain I do not have any spreadsheets available for further database processing.

        I would appreciate any help, but I am not sure that what I have is adequately in the right form for the type of database construction you are offering.  Perhaps you could specify further.  In any case, it is good to hear from you and thank you for your generous offer.

        Sincerely,

        James