3305Re: The Inquisitors Manual

  • rglencoughlin
    Oct 6, 2011
      The book you mention, by Marshall McLuhen, was published under the title "The Medium is the Message" and also under the title "The Medium is the Massage.' My brother, an English lit prof, has copies under both names. He thinks it was a joke; the point being that one misreads the title as "The Medium is the Message" because the context or the medium determines that you do so. The misspelling, and the fact that most people automatically misread it so as to correct it mentally, is an example of the thesis of the book, in other words. McLuhan was an English Prof at University of Toronto.
      Glen

      --- In thomism@yahoogroups.com, "CHUA Soo Meng Jude (PLS)" <jude.chua@...> wrote:

      > Dear Friends
      >
      > You might find my www.inquisitorsmanual.wordpress.com<http://www.inquisitorsmanual.wordpress.com> to be of interest
      >
      > I'll be developing some more thomistic pages in time.
      >
      > Of course comments and suggestions welcome.
      >
      > Any thomists you know write about photography? Recommendations for literature much welcome. I know there's a book wrongly titled, The medium is the massage
      >
      > Jude
      > National Institute of Education (Singapore) http://www.nie.edu.sg
      >
      > DISCLAIMER : The information contained in this email, including any attachments, may contain confidential information.
      > This email is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) listed above. Unauthorised sight, dissemination or any other
      > use of the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by fault, please
      > notify the sender and delete it immediately.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic