This Week In Doctor Who - May 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2002
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - May 10, 2002
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 5, No 19
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/
      http://www.topica.com/lists/twidwtalk/
      thisweekindoctorwho-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      twidwtalk-subscribe@...

      Welcome to the weekly guide to Doctor Who on TV worldwide. At the moment,
      people on 6 continents can see Doctor Who on TV somewhere (at least until
      June).

      First up - congratulations to the fans in New Zealand! Several short clips
      from missing Doctor Who episodes (The Web Of Fear episodes 2,4,+5; The Wheel
      In Space 5), along with clips of surviving episodes and other TV shows have
      turned up down there. It's about a minute of *new* Doctor Who material,
      mostly from The Web Of Fear episode 4. The press release and screen grabs
      are at http://www.tetrap.com/drwho/nzdwfc/ . Now, if we could just find the
      episodes those clips were taken from ...

      Last week, several new TV stations airing Doctor Who were announced. Guess
      what - we still missed one, sort of. W59AU Utica, NY is a satellite of WCNY
      24 Syracuse, NY http://www.wcny.org/ . If you can see W59AU, you have Doctor
      Who as well. Also, KAWE 9 is in *Bemidji*, MN, not Bernidji.

      Canadian Doctor Who fans with Digital Cable can see more Doctor Who starting
      this weekend. BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca/ is airing weekend reruns of
      Doctor Who to its lineup, which already airs episodes 4 times each
      weeknight. Complete stories will air on Saturdays and Sundays at 3:30PM
      Eastern (12:30PM Pacific), with repeats at 10PM Eastern (7PM Pacific). The
      Saturday and Sunday broadcasts are different, and they are not linked to the
      weeknight airings. Also, BBC Kids begins airing new (to them) Doctor Who
      stories in the weeknight slots beginning Friday, May 24, with episode 1 of
      Horror Of Fang Rock.

      By the way, it occurs to me that WCNY/W59AU 24,59 Syracuse/Utica, NY and
      KAWE/KAWB 9,22 Bemidji/Brainerd, MN come tantalizingly close to providing
      Canadians with over the air or analog cable Doctor Who, without actually
      reaching the Canadian border. I prefer the climate further south in the US,
      but stations in colder regions seem more willing to pick up Doctor Who - go
      figure. In case anyone is curious, I've put together a list of PBS stations
      that I know have at least some coverage in Canada. If Canadians want Doctor
      Who without needing Digital Cable, these would be the stations to try to
      convince to pick up the show:

      WTVS 56 Detroit, MI http://www.wtvs.org/
      WGBH 2 Boston, MA http://www.wgbh.org/
      WNED 17 Buffalo, NY http://www.wned.org/
      WXXI 21 Rochester, NY http://www.wxxi.org/
      WCFE 57 Plattsburgh, NY http://www.mountainlake.org/
      WPBS/WNPI 16,18 Watertown/Norwood, NY http://www.wpbstv.org/
      WETK 33 Burlington, VT (Vermont Public TV) http://www.vpt.org/
      Maine Public Broadcasting http://www.mpbc.org/ (aired Doctor Who 1998-1999)
      Prairie Public Broadcasting http://www.pol.org/ (aired Doctor Who 1998-2001)
      KSPS 7 Spokane, WA http://www.ksps.org/ (aired Doctor Who 1980s-2000)
      KCTS 9 Seattle, WA http://www.kcts.org/ (crosstown rival KBTC airs Doctor
      Who)

      If there are any other PBS stations that can be seen in Canada, let me know.
      Some fans in Central/South America have a PBS station too (WNET 13 New York,
      NY), in case anyone down there wants to rally WNET to air Doctor Who
      transcontinentally. Maybe next week we'll do a list of PBS stations that
      border Mexico.

      Australian fans - UKTV is only airing Doctor Who for another month or so,
      till they finish the series, and then it goes on hiatus. Hopefully it'll be
      back after a couple months rest (it's taken vacations twice before), but you
      can never be too sure. Don't miss the show while you have it.

      South American Doctor Who fans - Uniseries http://www.uniseries.com.ar/ is
      now airing Doctor Who Sundays at 9:30PM Argentina Time. 1 episode a week.
      Odds on Tom Baker episodes, but that's the point - we don't know. If you
      have Uniseries, watch Sunday's episode, then send me an e-mail and let us
      all know what you're getting down there. Also, are you getting it in
      English, Spanish, or English with Spanish subtitles? Are they retitling the
      stories? The world of Doctor Who fandom wants to know.

      San Jose, CA Who fans - in memoriam of John Nathan-Turner, KTEH is squeezing
      an interview they once did with him into the Sunday night lineup. To catch
      the interview, tune in at 10:50PM Sunday instead of the usual 11PM. Doctor
      Who will start at 11:15PM.

      Pittsburgh, PA - WQEX 16 was supposed to be back on the air by now, so I am
      listing it as if it is. However, I can't find any proof as to whether it is
      back or not. WQED's website doesn't mention WQEX, so I won't get news that
      way. If you get WQEX 16 over the air (not by cable), I'd be curious to know
      when it returns. WQED took WQEX off the air a couple of weeks back to
      install a new antenna which will let them put WQED-DT and WQEX-DT on the
      air. Since WQEX 16 has aired a complete simulcast of WQED since November
      1997 (while serving the same area), cable subscribers were seeing WQED 13 on
      WQEX 16's cable slot, and probably not noticing any difference. Some areas
      may receive WQEX more clearly than WQED over the air, so over the air
      viewers in those areas would be most interested in WQEX's status.

      And remember, if you live in the US, and you're among the 82 Million
      households with Sci-Fi http://www.scifi.com/ on your cable or satellite -
      the 1996 Doctor Who movie airs one more time on Sci-Fi's current contract -
      June 30 at 5PM Eastern Time. Look at last week's column or use Sci-Fi's
      schedulebot to adjust for your local time or feed.

      Additions and corrections are welcome at
      thisweekindoctorwho-owner@yahoogroups.com , bfelliott@... ,
      bfelliott3 on AOL IM, or thebfe on Yahoo Messenger. And now, the listings:

      RADIO/INTERNET:

      Fri 7PM EDT (6PM CDT) "Interstellar Transmissions"
      http://www.scifiradioguy.com/
      WWNN AM1470 Pompano Beach/Boca Raton, FL (Miami/West Palm Beach, FL)
      http://wnnhealthtalkradio.com/
      WBYU AM1450 New Orleans, LA http://www.bayou1450.com/
      Weekly radio show for sci-fi news and interviews, broadcast live over the
      internet on all 3 websites listed above (different feeds, so if one doesn't
      work try another one). Frequent Doctor Who guests, but this week it's SF
      author Ben Bova, author of The Rock Rats and 70 other books.

      TV:

      UK:

      UK Gold http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb/
      http://www.telewest.co.uk/flextech/ukgold.htm
      Sat 7:10-8AM BST "The Sontaran Experiment" movie
      Sun 6:30-9AM BST "Genesis Of The Daleks" movie

      Homechoice http://www.homechoice.co.uk/
      Video On Demand. Now playing:
      "Robot" all 4 pts
      "The Ark In Space" all 4 pts
      "The Sontaran Experiment" both pts

      EUROPE/AFRICA/ASIA:

      BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com/
      Late Fri 12:30AM, Sat 4PM CET "Dragonfire" pt 2 of 3
      Sat 4:25PM, Late Sun 12:30AM CET "Dragonfire" pt 3 of 3
      Wed Noon CET "Remembrance Of The Daleks" pt 1 of 4
      Thu Noon CET "Remembrance Of The Daleks" pt 2 of 4

      AUSTRALIA:

      UKTV http://www.varos.com/drwho/uktv/ http://www.foxtel.com.au/
      Sun 7AM, Late Sun 1AM AEST "The Happiness Patrol" all 3 pts
      Sun 8:30AM, Late Sun 2:30AM AEST "Silver Nemesis" all 3 pts
      Mon 11:30PM AEST "Silver Nemesis" pt 3 of 3
      Tue-Fri 11:30PM AEST "The Greatest Show In The Galaxy" pts 1 - 4 of 4

      CANADA/USA:

      BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca/
      Weeknights 7:30PM, 10:30PM, 2AM, 4AM EDT (4:30PM, 7:30PM, 11PM, 1AM PDT)
      Saturdays 3:30PM, 10PM EDT (12:30PM, 7PM PDT) - complete stories
      Sundays 3:30PM, 10PM EDT (12:30PM, 7PM PDT) - complete stories
      Fri "The Robots Of Death" pt 1 of 4
      Sat "Robot" all 4 pts
      Sun "The Ark In Space" all 4 pts
      Mon-Wed "The Robots Of Death" pts 2 - 4 of 4
      Thu-Fri "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang" pts 1 - 2 of 6
      *New* to BBC Kids episodes begin airing late next week on Friday, May 24.

      NHPTV New Hampshire 11,49,52 http://www.nhptv.org/
      Late Sat 12:30AM EDT "Terminus" pts 3+4 of 4
      Late Thu Mid EDT "Enlightenment" pts 1+2 of 4

      WCNY/W59AU 24,59 Syracuse/Utica, NY http://www.wcny.org/
      Sun 5:30PM EDT "The Ark In Space/The Sontaran Experiment" pt 1 of 4/2
      WCNY's website, TV Guide's online listings, and Zap2it.com's online listings
      do not indicate which episode is airing. It *should* be part 1 of The Ark In
      Space. However, several stations have erroneously aired Doctor Who in
      production order in recent years. If WCNY takes that course of action,
      you're looking at part 1 of The Sontaran Experiment. Can someone tell me
      what happens there?

      WQED/WQEX 13,16 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org/
      DirecTV 13/947 Dish 8136
      Late Sat Mid EDT "Earthshock" pt 1 of 4
      Pre-empted by pledges next week. Doctor Who returns May 25.

      WYBE 35 Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org/
      DirecTV 35/909 Dish 8162
      Sat 11PM EDT "The Seeds Of Doom" pts 3+4 of 6
      Doctor Who pledge specials 8 to Midnight on May 18.

      MPT Maryland 22,28,31,36,62,67 http://www.mpt.org/
      DirecTV 22/980
      Late Sat Mid EDT "Planet Of Evil" movie
      Yes, it is actually going to begin on time. I've checked this time -
      Independent Eye is not scheduled to run overtime. Doctor Who's going to
      start late for the next 4 weeks after this (3 long Independent Eyes and a
      pledge night), but this time it actually starts at Midnight. Unless MPT
      changes things at the last minute, obviously.

      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org/
      DirecTV 48/909 Dish 8356
      Pre-empted by auction. Doctor Who returns May 25.

      WYIN 56 Gary, IN (Chicago, IL) http://www.chicagowho.com/
      http://www.wyin.tv/
      Sat 11PM CDT "Snakedance" pts 1+2 of 4

      WILL 12 Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu/
      Sat 11:15PM CDT "The Invisible Enemy" pt 2 of 4

      KAWE/KAWB 9,22 Bemidji/Brainerd, MN http://www.lakelandptv.org/
      Sat 8PM, Sun 11PM CDT "Genesis Of The Daleks" pt 5 of 6

      TPT 2 St. Paul, MN http://www.tpt.org/
      digital 16.5 (2.5) DirecTV 2/891 Dish 8576
      Sat 11:30PM, Sun 5:30AM CDT "Full Circle" pt 2 of 4

      IPTV Iowa 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36 http://www.sffn.com/ http://www.iptv.org/
      digital 50
      Sat 11:35PM CDT "The Mark Of The Rani" 4 pt version, pts 3+4

      KERA/K24AD 13,24 Dallas/Wichita Falls, TX http://www.kera.org/
      digital 14.1 DirecTV 13/889 Dish 8406
      Late Fri 12:15AM CDT "The Ark In Space" movie
      KERA is airing stories in production order. Revenge Of The Cybermen airs
      next week.

      KBDI/K32EO 12,32 Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org/
      DirecTV 12/910 Dish 8211
      Late Fri 12:30AM MDT "Frontios" pts 1+2 of 4
      Sat 11PM MDT "Frontios" pts 3+4 of 4

      KUED/KUES 7,39 Salt Lake City/Richfield, UT http://www.kued.org/
      digital 42 DirecTV 7/982 Dish 8536
      Sat 11PM, Late Sat 12:30AM MDT "The Androids Of Tara" pt 4 of 4

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Grays River, WA
      http://www.kbtc.org/
      DirecTV 12/910 Dish 8620
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PDT "Mawdryn Undead" pts 3+4 of 4

      KTEH/KCAH 54,25 San Jose/Watsonville, CA http://www.kteh.org/
      DirecTV 54/903 Dish 8234
      Sun 10:50PM PDT "Interview With John Nathan-Turner."
      Sun 11:15PM PDT "The Three Doctors" pts 3+4 of 4

      CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA:

      Uniseries http://www.uniseries.com.ar/
      Sun 9:30PM "" pt 2 of 4?
      As of this writing, I can not find any listings that will say which episodes
      are airing, or in what language.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2002.