This Week In Doctor Who - May 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2002
      John Nathan-Turner - 1948-2002. RIP.

      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - May 3, 2002
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 5, No 18
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/
      http://www.topica.com/lists/twidwtalk/
      thisweekindoctorwho-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      twidwtalk-subscribe@...

      Well, this has been a wild week for TV Doctor Who. More twists and turns
      popping up every day. And I wouldn't be surprised if more things are going
      on which miss this edition.

      1) John Nathan-Turner, 9th and final producer of Doctor Who during its TV
      run, passed away Wednesday at the rather young age of 54, and deserves a
      brief note. Mr. Turner was one of the most influential figures on the course
      of Doctor Who. He first worked on the show as a new employee at the BBC
      during filming of The Space Pirates in 1969. He worked on 2 Pertwee stories,
      came back as a member of the production team starting with season 15
      (mid-Tom Baker), and served as producer from the start of season 18 till the
      end, the longest anyone served as producer.

      2) SOUTH AMERICA gets Doctor Who. For the first time since HBO OLE aired the
      TV Movie in 1999-2000, Doctor Who fans in South America will get to see the
      Doctor on TV again. Cable network Uniseries http://www.uniseries.com.ar/ is
      airing an episode a week starting Sunday, 5 May at 9:30PM Argentina time. I
      don't know how many countries Uniseries airs in, but it definitely airs in
      Argentina. I'd like to hear from any fans down there who get to see these
      broadcasts. Uniseries' website and TV Guide's Argentina info
      http://www.tvguide.com/ do not reveal which episodes are airing, or in what
      language. I will keep my eyes open to see if any other stations on that
      continent add Doctor Who, but my resources for that area are rather skimpy.
      If Doctor Who pops up on a local channel, let me know.

      3) USA - WCNY 24 Syracuse, NY http://www.wcny.org/ added Doctor Who to their
      weekly lineup on April 14, but the column just found out this week. 1
      episode a week, Sundays at 5:30PM Eastern Time. They are currently airing
      Robot. I believe this is the first station in upstate New York to air Doctor
      Who during the tenure of this column - let's make it the first of many.
      Convert them all.

      4) USA - this one is almost irritating. I've been monitoring hundreds of PBS
      stations lately for various matters, not all Doctor Who related. Searching
      countless schedules. This station not only has managed to air Doctor Who
      since January without *my* noticing it, but no one ever noted "hey - you
      missed one!" Well, it's been noted now, and thanks to the person who brought
      it to my attention. And in spite of wishing I'd known of it sooner, I'm
      always glad to hear that more stations air the show.

      What? You actually want to know what station it is? Ok. KAWE/KAWB 9,22
      Bernidji/Brainerd, MN http://www.lakelandptv.org/ , serving much of Northern
      Minnesota. 1 episode Saturdays at 8PM, with a rerun Sundays at 11PM Central
      Time. They've aired Robot, The Ark In Space, The Pyramids Of Mars (pledge
      special), The Sontaran Experiment, and are now working on Genesis Of The
      Daleks. Dish Network subscribers with the Minnesota/St. Paul, MN local
      channels package should eventually get KAWE 9 at channel number 8583 (it's
      not on the air yet), so you'll have 2 Doctor Who affiliates in that package.
      Don't think DirecTV has announced plans to add this station in that market
      yet.

      5) UK - S4C, the Welsh version of Channel 4, has scheduled the 2nd Peter
      Cushing Dr. Who movie "Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150A.D." to air this upcoming
      late Thursday / early Friday, starting at 3:05AM. S4C can be seen throughout
      Wales and areas just beyond. S4C Digital, the nationally available digital
      version of S4C, doesn't seem to be on the air at that hour, so I guess the
      movie won't air there. Still, the rest of the UK got to see the movie on a
      Sunday afternoon a couple weeks back anyway.

      6) INTERNET - The final segment of Death Comes To Time should be online by
      now (see below). I hear the story has created a lot of controversy, with
      people loving or hating the plot twists. I haven't actually had the time to
      keep up with it, so I plan a marathon listening this week now that it's all
      on the BBC's website.

      7) RADIO - If you're a fan of the Interstellar Transmissions radio show
      http://www.scifiradioguy.com/ , the one with the frequent Doctor Who guests,
      read below. They've changed their radio station(s) and broadcast time.

      8) USA - Last year the Sci-Fi Channel http://www.scifi.com/ bought the
      rights to air the 1996 Doctor Who movie in the US up to 3 times in a one
      year period, the first times it had aired since its premiere on FOX May 14,
      1996. Sci-Fi aired the movie in July 2001 and on Christmas Eve 2001. Now,
      they have scheduled it one more time - June 30, 2002, at 5PM Eastern. I
      don't know if Sci-Fi bought any additional airings or if the movie will
      become available to new buyers again after this. "Doctor Who" is scheduled
      to air, appropriately enough, in the middle of an all-day festival of movie
      revivals for classic TV shows. Doctor Who will be airing alongside "Here
      Come The Munsters", "Knightrider 2000", "The Twilight Zone: Rod Serling's
      Lost Classics", "The Addams Family" (1991), and "The Flintstones" (1993).

      Sci-Fi has 2 programming feeds - East and West. Satellite providers use the
      East Feed, as do virtually all Cable providers in the Eastern and Central US
      time zones. Cable providers in the Mountain and Pacific time zones (and
      Alaska & Hawaii) usually use the West feed, though sometimes the East feed
      is used instead. So, figure out which feed you have and which time zone you
      live in, and you can know when you can see the movie on June 30:

      East Feed:
      Eastern Time - 9PM
      Central Time - 8PM
      Mountain Time - 7PM
      Pacific Time - 6PM
      Alaska Time - 5PM
      Hawaii Time - 3PM

      West Feed:
      Mountain Time - 10PM
      Pacific Time - 9PM
      Alaska Time - 8PM
      Hawaii Time - 6PM

      Additions and corrections are welcome at bfelliott@... ,
      thisweekindoctorwho-owner@yahoogroups.com , bfelliott3 on AIM, or thebfe on
      Yahoo Messenger. And now, the listings:

      RADIO/INTERNET:

      BBCI http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/death/index.shtml
      "Death Comes To Time"
      Episode 5C "Death Comes To Time, pt 3 of 3" now online
      Realplayer needed. Full story now online.

      *New Time & Channel*
      WWNN AM1470 Pompano Beach/Boca Raton, FL (Miami & West Palm Beach)
      http://wnnhealthtalkradio.com/
      WBYU AM1450 New Orleans, LA http://www.bayou1450.com/
      Fri 7PM EDT (6PM CDT) "Interstellar Transmissions"
      http://www.scifiradioguy.com/
      At a new earlier time and on two stations, Joey Reynolds' weekly sci-fi
      news/talk show can now reach a larger radio audience. For the rest of the
      world, try the live Media Player webstream from the Interstellar
      Transmissions web page. If that link isn't working, try the webstreams from
      WWNN's or WBYU's websites. Joey's guest - alas, I forget, and that portion
      of his website was not working when this column went out. Expect some
      mention of the passing of John Nathan-Turner, though that will not be the
      main topic this week.

      TV:

      UK:

      S4C Wales http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb/
      Late Thu 3:05AM BST "Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150A.D." 1966 movie
      Peter Cushing stars as Dr. Who in this colourful remake of the classic 1st
      Doctor story The Dalek Invasion Of Earth.
      Note: S4C Digital (offered through Britain) appears not to be on the air at
      3AM, so this might be a Welsh treat only. Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150A.D.
      aired on Channel 4 several weeks ago, and this is the Welsh equivalent of
      that channel.

      UK Gold http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb/
      http://www.telewest.co.uk/flextech/ukgold.htm
      Sat 7:15-9AM BST "Robot" movie
      Sun 7:10-9AM BST "The Ark In Space" movie

      Homechoice http://www.homechoice.co.uk/
      Video On Demand. Now playing:
      "Robot" all 4 pts
      "The Ark In Space" all 4 pts
      "The Sontaran Experiment" both pts

      EUROPE/AFRICA/ASIA:

      BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com/
      Late Fri 12:35AM, Sat 4PM CET "Delta And The Bannermen" pt 3 of 3
      Sat 4:25PM, Late Sun 12:30AM CET "Dragonfire" pt 1 of 3
      Wed Noon CET "Dragonfire" pt 2 of 3
      Thu Noon CET "Dragonfire" pt 3 of 3

      AUSTRALIA:

      UKTV Australia http://www.varos.com/drwho/uktv/ http://www.foxtel.com.au/
      Sun 7AM, Late Sun 1AM AEST "Remembrance Of The Daleks" all 4 pts
      Mon-Wed 11:30PM AEST "The Happiness Patrol" pts 1 - 3 of 3
      Thu-Fri 11:30PM AEST "Silver Nemesis" pts 1 - 2 of 3

      CANADA:

      BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca/
      Weeknights 7:30PM, 10:30PM, 2AM, 4AM EDT (4:30PM, 7:30PM, 11PM, 1AM PDT)
      Fri "The Deadly Assassin" pt 4 of 4
      Mon-Thu "The Face Of Evil" pts 1 - 4 of 4
      Fri "The Robots Of Death" pt 1 of 4
      At last word, the weekend broadcasts will begin on Saturday 10 May, while
      the weekday episodes will continue. New to BBC Kids episodes (Horror Of Fang
      Rock pt 1 and onward) should begin on Friday 23 May.

      USA:

      NHPTV New Hampshire 11,49,52 http://www.nhptv.org/
      Late Sat 12:30AM EDT "Terminus" pts 1+2 of 4
      Late Thu 12:30AM EDT "Terminus" pts 3+4 of 4

      WCNY 24 Syracuse, NY http://www.wcny.org/
      Sun 5:30PM EDT "Robot" pt 4 of 4

      WQED 13 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org/
      DirecTV 13/947 Dish 8136
      Late Sat Mid EDT "Black Orchid" pt 2 of 2
      At press time, it was unknown if WQEX 16 would be back on the air by the
      time of the Doctor Who broadcast. WQEX 16 is off the air while a new
      transmitter is put up which can broadcast both WQED-DT and WQEX-DT, when
      those digital channels launch. Satellite subscribers don't have WQEX, cable
      subscribers are having WQED substituted for WQEX, and most people with
      antennas can pull in WQED, so few people are noticing the absence of WQEX.
      For the few Pittsburgh area people who can only see WQEX, hope the new
      antenna gets put up soon.

      WYBE 35 Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org/
      DirecTV 35/909 Dish 8162
      Sat 11PM EDT "The Seeds Of Doom" pts 1+2 of 6
      Early warning - WYBE 35 plans to have its pledge drive on May 18. The Making
      Of Doctor Who will air at 8PM, with 4 episodes of Doctor Who starting at
      9:20PM. Also, if you have a digital TV receiver, WYBE-DT 34 should go on the
      air on July 2nd.

      MPT Maryland 22,28,31,36,62,67 http://www.mpt.org/
      DirecTV 22/980
      Late Sat Mid EDT "Terror Of The Zygons" movie

      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org/
      DirecTV 48/909 Dish 8356
      Sat 11PM EDT "Kinda" pts 1+2 of 4
      Pre-empted by auction next two weeks. Returns May 25.

      WYIN 56 Gary, IN (Chicago, IL) http://www.chicagowho.com/
      http://www.wyin.tv/
      Sat 11PM CDT "Arc Of Infinity" pts 3+4 of 4

      WILL 12 Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu/
      Sat 11:25PM CDT "The Invisible Enemy" pt 1 of 4

      KAWE/KAWB 9,22 Bernidji/Brainerd, MN http://www.lakelandptv.org/
      Sat 8PM, Sun 11PM CDT "Genesis Of The Daleks" pt 4 of 6
      So, KAWE/KAWB, you have hidden from me. But now we know you are out there.
      Now you are profiled in the column, people will see you, your website will
      get more hits, and many you'll even get more viewers watching Doctor Who.
      Evil laugh.

      TPT 2 St. Paul, MN http://www.tpt.org/
      digital 16.5 (2.5) DirecTV 2/891 Dish 8576
      Sat 11:30PM, Sun 5:30AM CDT "Full Circle" pt 1 of 4

      IPTV Iowa 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36 http://www.sffn.com/ http://www.iptv.org/
      digital 50
      Sat 11:35PM CDT "The Mark Of The Rani" 4 pt version, pts 3+4

      KERA/K24AD 13,24 Dallas/Wichita Falls, TX http://www.kera.org/
      digital 14.1 DirecTV 13,889 Dish 8406
      Late Fri 12:15AM CDT "The Sontaran Experiment" movie
      47 minutes long. KERA is still airing the stories in production order,
      instead of story order. Sontaran Experiment begins where next week's
      broadcast of The Ark In Space ends.

      KBDI/K32EO 12,32 Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org/
      DirecTV 12/910 Dish 8211
      Late Fri 12:30AM MDT "Warriors Of The Deep" pts 3+4 of 4
      Sat 11PM MDT "Frontios" pts 1+2 of 4
      They seem to be skipping over The Awakening for some reason.

      KUED/KUES 7,39 Salt Lake City/Richfield, UT http://www.kued.org/
      digital 42 DirecTV 7/982 Dish 8536
      Sat 11PM, Late Sat 12:30AM MDT "The Androids Of Tara" pt 3 of 4

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Gray's River, WA
      http://www.kbtc.org/
      DirecTV 28/970 Dish 8620
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PDT "Mawdryn Undead" pts 1+2 of 4

      KTEH/KCAH 54,25 San Jose/Watsonville, WA http://www.kteh.org/
      DirecTV 54/903 Dish 8234
      Sun 11:47PM PDT "The Three Doctors" pts 1+2 of 4
      Late start due to special airing of The Lathe Of Heaven. Next week - KTEH
      will rerun the interview they did with John Nathan-Turner starting at
      10:50PM as a memorial to the longtime Doctor Who producer.

      SOUTH AMERICA:

      Uniseries http://www.uniseries.com.ar/
      Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, + Chile cable systems
      DirecTV Latin America 125??
      Sun 9:30PM "Doctor Who" pt 1 of 4?
      Las adventuras del Doctor del bien y sus companeros, cuando defienden la
      justicia por todo el universo. At press time, it is unclear which episodes
      will be airing (probably early 4th Doctor) and whether they will be in
      English, Spanish, or English with Spanish subtitles. This is the first week
      that this channel has scheduled Doctor Who. It is a late addition which does
      not yet have a description on the Uniseries web page.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2002.