This Week In Doctor Who Spinoffs - April 11, 2009
- This Week In Doctor Who Spinoffs
April 11, 2009 - Vol 1, No 15
The weekly guide to Sarah Jane Smith broadcasts, podcasts, and other matters.
by Benjamin F. Elliott
Sarah Jane Stations:
CBBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja
Sarah Jane Adventures repeats.
Monday 5:15PM BST 7b. "The Last Sontaran" pt 2 of 2
20 April 5:15PM BST 8a. "Day Of The Clown" pt 1 of 2
K9 - Coming later 2009. Network Ten in Australia and Jetix/DisneyXD in the UK are expected to air it. Other broadcasters unknown. 26 episodes in this first batch.
ONLINE RADIO SHOWS/PODCASTS:
This section is looking for currently in production, interesting podcasts related to Doctor Who. If you think your webcast/podcast (or somebody else's) belongs in this section, e-mail me.
Doctor Who: Podshock http://www.gallifreyanembassy.org/portal
Live Talkshoe broadcasts - http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/23358
call in number (724) 444-7444 call id 23358
1) Home to the Weekly-ish chat show with US and UK Doctor Who fans done in podcast format. Hosted by Louis Trapani, Ken Deep, and James Naughton, with frequent contributions/co-hosting by Dave AC, Mike Doran, and a cast of many. There is a feed for studio shows and for life shows.
2) Also home to the Sonic Newsdriver, Louis Trapani's periodic rundown of new Doctor Who news.
3) Also home to the Hitch-hiker's Guide To British Sci-Fi, a podcast covering a mix of shows, including Doctor Who.
Episode 144 - Interview with Chris McKeon, the writer who finished the Doctor Who novel "Time's Champion". Also, convention report from Australia, feedback, and adventures in product placement.
In Production this weekend:
Episode 145 - Recording today, due out once the editing is done.
19 April 2PM EDT/11AM PDT/7PM BST - Podshock Live on Talkshoe, with a look back at Planet Of The Dead.
Radio Free Skaro http://www.radiofreeskaro.com
The 3 Canadians get together on Sundays for about an hour or two or more to discuss the latest in Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Sarah Jane in a fairly amusing manner.
#133 - "The Anticipointment of Entercation" - Katrina is guest hosting again, with Warren off doing a job (Radio Free Skaro cast member caught in scandal of actually working for pay!) Days before a new episode, 3 Canadians try not to reveal spoilers. Will they succeed? Can't say, as that too would be a spoiler
Bonus - Radio Free Skaro trailer. Mostly noted because some devices will default to just downloading the most recent program. So there's a chance some people will have gotten the trailer and missed episode 133.
Coming This Weekend:
#134 - "The Planet Of Michelle Ryan" (like they'd seriously pick that title). Some mix of Warren, Steven, Chris, and Katrina react to Planet Of The Dead's premiere. A recent announcement by SPACE - well, announced to us fans but not on SPACE's own website for some reason - might or might not influence the show.
DWO Whocast http://www.thewhocast.com
Whocast episode 113. The Whocast team react to trailers for Planet Of The Dead and the K9 TV series. The countdown to new Who is almost over.
Tin Dog Podcast http://www.tin-dog.co.uk
Weekly UK based podcast looking at the latest in Doctor Who, Torchwood, or Sarah Jane Adventures. New episodes ever 2 weeks or so.
87 - News and the Image Of Fenhall. Michael investigates Image Of The Fendahl (with some extras on his website) and reveals the near future of the Podcast, dictated by wonderful news in his recent past. Congratulations!
CIA - Cultdom In Audio http://ciashock.podomatic.com
Live Talkshoe broadcasts http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/30659
call in number (724) 444-7444 call id 30659
West, Dave AC, Colin, and other Doctor Who fans liked the live Doctor Who: Podshocks so much that they wanted to keep talking afterwards. The resulting show covers Doctor Who, anything else sci-fi related, and can go wildly off in all directions. Chats open 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
Current episode - Being Human/Primeval/Open Mike Day - several topics came together at once.
Sunday 2PM EDT/11AM PDT/7PM BST - Easter show? If people turn up, Dave AC planned to have another open mike show on whatever is striking peoples' fancy (can't imagine what could be talked about when new DOCTOR WHO, Primeval, Red Dwarf, Robin Hood, a murky Terminator cliffhanger, and Dollhouse all premiere in the same weekend)
19 April 4PM EDT/1PM PDT/9PM PDT - After show for spillover discussion after Podshock Live talks Planet Of The Dead. Start time approximate. If Podshock runs too late, this episode could be dropped.
26 April 2PM EDT/11AM PDT/7PM PDT - Red Dwarf. In the aftermath of 3 new episodes (after a 10 year break), CIA takes a look at the main Sci-Fi/Comedy Franchise of the BBC in the 1990s.
Doctor Who Review Today http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/22756
Live editions Late Fridays 1AM EDT/10PM PDT/6AM BST
Robert Carrie King reviews Doctor Who topics on this Talkshoe program. Frequent cast member on CIA: Cultdom In Audio.
Most recent episode - April 3/4. Episode 30.
The Wailing Fangirl http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/22228
Samantha (Romana 2) explores Doctor Who and fandom in Australia, sometimes with the aid of the ladies of the Gallifreyan Time Love Brigade. Frequent cast member on CIA: Cultdom In Audio.
Current episode - 8. A look at the First Doctor's Era.
Coming soon - they are planning to gush poetically when Planet Of The Dead arrives.
A Podcast Of Impossible Things http://podcastofimpossiblethings.blogspot.com
Cardiff-based Doctor Who fans get together to discuss the latest Doctor Who and do a full length commentary on new Doctor Who episodes.
A short look at The Next Doctor.
Bigger On The Inside http://www.earth-2.net
Mike and Dan decide to do their own podcast exploring each Doctor Who story in broadcast order. It is a very different style from Jonathan's. Again - can they pull it off? Part of the Earth-2 family of podcasts. Warning - explicit language (swearing). If your headphones leak any sound at all - do not listen at work.
Current episode - 10. The Crusade and The Space Museum. Mike and Dan still like Vicki. And they love the 4 episode story format.
A Whovian's Quest http://www.whovianquest.com
Jonathan Rainer is podcasting his experiences as he watches Doctor Who. In original broadcast order. From 1963. Without a gap. Can he pull it off?
Current episode - 13 - The Web Planet. Includes an update on the delays in the interactive website Jonathan is planning.
Hoo On Who http://whoonwho.com
Fan reviews of recent Doctor Who DVDs.
Current episode - Ghostlight.
Coming soon - The Five Doctors (version of the DVD not mentioned, suppose it could be both releases). Guest co-host Steve Distasi, previously heard on the review for The Tomb Of The Cybermen.
Two Minute Time Lord http://twominutetimelord.com
A bite-sized commentary and revew show from the perspective of a formerly casual fan. Host Chip's interest was rekindled by the 2005 revival. He believes in balancing old fandom and new viewers, respect for the past and breaking the rules. He tries to keep his pontifications to 120 seconds, because we're ALL in a hurry these days.
15 - The Ten Doctors' webcomic is the new topic.
The Minute Doctor Who Podcast http://web.mac.com/backintheussr6/The_Minute_Doctor_Who_Podcast/Podcast/Podcast.html
Video podcast looking at Doctor Who projects. Episodes are usually under 5 minutes long.
Current episode - 10 - Regeneration. Our host has a surprise regeneration, and things will never be exactly the same again.
The Big Finish Podcast http://www.bigfinish.com/podcast
Big Finish podcasts at least once a month to discuss their Doctor Who and other projects (Sapphire and Steel, Stargate (!), Dark Shadows, Bernice Summerfield, etc).
Current episode - April News. The latest in Doctor Who and all the other branches. Early reactions to Vooooooooorrrrrrtexxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .... xxxxxxx ..... xxxxxx.... xxxxx .....
MMM Commentaries http://www.mmmcommentaries.com
Roving Australian podcasting gang. Some episodes are a discussion of the latest sci-fi news, including Doctor Who. Other episodes are commentaries on Doctor Who episodes, Star Wars films, some Stargate stuff, and others.
Current episodes - Terror Of The Zygons (4 episodes)
The Two Doctors http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thetwodoctors
call in number (718) 664-9807
Jim Iaccino and Kenn Gold look at the latest SciFi broadcasts in the US, with emphasis on fitting in Doctor Who, Dollhouse, Terminator, Smallville, Supernatural, Fringe, and the other big scifi shows of the moment. Everything is based on US premiere dates rather than UK. Approximately 90 minutes per episode. Show airs live with a text chat and can be downloaded later.
Next episode - Airdate unclear due to Easter Holiday.
TV Talk Radio http://blogtalkradio.com/shaunomacradio
Weeknights 6 to 8PM EDT (3 to 5PM PDT) [Friday 7PM EDT/4PM PDT]
Shaun O'Mac Daily (of the Jericho "nuts" campaign) hosts a daily 2 hour show covering all things TV. Doctor Who is sometimes discussed in the 2nd hour of the Friday show with Two Doctors co-host Kenn Gold. Listen and chat live through the website with archives appearing right after the show finishes.
Staggering Stories http://www.staggeringstories.net
A wild, wandering podcast with Doctor Who, Torchwood, Primeval, and other shows winding together roughly once every 2 weeks.
Episode 43 - "Into The Wild Written Primeval" - biggest issues for Doctor Who fans - a discussion of best and worst writers, plus a K9 trailer creates reactions. Might be more, but was still listening to the show when This Week weng out.
PBS Stations With Doctor Who Rights That Could Air Again:
A - BOUGHT SERIES THREE: (rights expire at date unknown)
B - BOUGHT SERIES TWO: (rights expire March 31, 2010)
1) UNC North Carolina http://www.unctv.org analog 58,17,30,4,36,33 digital .1 - digital only 6/12/09
Charlotte DirecTV 58,892 Charlotte Dish 4,8662
Greenville, SC DirecTV 33,892 Greenville, SC Dish 4,8190
Norfolk, VA DirecTV 2 Norfolk, VA Dish 2,7271
Florence, SC DirecTV 31 Florence, SC Dish 31,7845
Greenville, NC DirecTV 25 Greenville, NC Dish 19,7737
UNC has the right to air Series 2 for two more cycles, one of which will be used on the UNC-ED digital cable station beginning in late April.
2) KCPT 19.1 Kansas City, MO http://www.kcpt.org
Kansas City DirecTV 19 Kansas City Dish 19,8436
KCPT has the right to air Series 2 two more times.
Other stations that are not currently airing Who or Sarah Jane but may still have rights:
1) HUNGARY (airing as Ki Vagi, Doki?) - Cool TV http://www.cooltv.hu
Series 2 completed.
RTL Klub http://www.rtlklub.hu http://doctorwho.gportal.hu
Series 2 Repeat Run halted, it appears.
2) JAPAN - BS-2 http://www.nhk.or.jp/bs Series 1 and 2 Completed.
NHK 3 http://www.nhk.or.jp Series 1 and 2 Completed.
3) ISRAEL - Yes Stars http://www.yes.co.il
4) UKRAINE - ICTV
5) BELGIUM - LaDeux http://www.ladeux.be - all episodes dubbed into French - Series 3 completed.
6) NETHERLANDS - Nederland 2 http://nederland2.nl - Series 2 completed.
7) DENMARK - DR 1 http://www.dr.dk/tv Series 1 Repeats Completed.
8) FINLAND - TV2 http://www.yle.fi/tv2 - No additional airdates at present
9) NORWAY - NRK3 http://www.nrk.no http://www.nrk.no/programmer/sider/doktor_who
Series 1 repeat run completed.
10) SOUTH AFRICA - SABC 2 http://www.sabc2.co.za/portal/site/sabc2
The Sarah Jane Adventures Series 1 - not on schedule.
11) HONG KONG - ATV World http://www.hkatv.com/v3/world/world.html - 3rd Series completed.
12) POLAND - TVP1 http://www.tvp.pl - Repeat run completed.
BBC Entertainment Poland http://poland.bbcentertainment.com - Airs as Doktor Who. Repeat run halted.
13) SWEDEN - SVT 24 and SVT HD http://www.svt.se
14) GREECE - Skai TV http://www.skai.gr - Between seasons.
15) ICELAND - RUV http://www.ruv.is - English with Icelandic subtitles - Series 1 and 2 completed.
16) TURKEY - Cine 5 http://www.cine5.com.tr
17) THAILAND - Channel 7 http://www.ch7.com
18) ITALY - Jimmy http://www.jimmy.tv
Voyage Of The Damned has aired - rest of Series 4 airdates TBA.
RAISAT Smash http://www.smash.raisat.it
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 1 - dubbed into Italian. Pan & scan 4:3 image. completed run?
19) NEW ZEALAND - UKTV New Zealand http://www.uktv.co.nz http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com - Series 2 completed.
20) AFRICA/MIDDLE EAST - Showtime Arabia http://www.showtimearabia.com
ShowSeries 1 (all airings 2 hours earlier on ShowSeries 1 Extra) - Series 3 Encore completed.
21) DUBAI - Dubai One http://www.dmi.ae/dubaione/default.asp
More info needed. Doctor Who was seen airing on this station over Christmas.
22) ROMANIA - TVR2 http://www.tvr.ro - Series 3 completed.
23) FRANCE - France 4 http://www.france4.fr - Series 4 completed.
24) EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST - BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com Who Series 1 and 2; Doctor Who Confidential Cut Down
Adjust for local time, which could vary by several hours
25) SOUTH KOREA - KBS2 http://www.kbs.co.kr http://www.kbs.co.kr/2tv/enter/doctorwho/index.html
Primary language Korean, English language as secondary audio. 4th series completed.
26) AUSTRALIA - Nickelodeon Australia http://www.nickelodeon.com.au http://www.foxtel.tv - Sarah Jane Series 2 coming in July.
ABC1 http://www.abc.net.au/tv http://www.sfsa.org.au - 16:9 widescreen digital, 14:9 cropped letterbox analog.
Repeat run halted. The Impossible Planet onwards will repeat on ABC2 later this year.
27) SPAIN - SciFi Spain http://www.scifi.es http://www.plus.es - Series 1 and 2 repeat run completed.
28) GERMANY - SciFi Germany http://www.scifi.de Series 1 and 2 repeats. Dubbed in German.
29) CANADA - BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca - Next airdate for Classic Who unknown. Next airdate for Sarah Jane Adventures unknown.
Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.
Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2009.