This Week In Doctor Who Spinoffs - March 21, 2009
- This Week In Doctor Who Spinoffs
March 21, 2009 - Vol 1, No 12
The weekly guide to Sarah Jane Smith broadcasts, podcasts, and other matters.
by Benjamin F. Elliott
Sarah Jane Stations:
CBBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja
Sarah Jane Adventures repeats.
Saturday 1:45PM GMT 12a. "Revenge Of The Bane" pt 1 of 2
Sunday 1:45PM GMT 12b. "Revenge Of The Bane" pt 2 of 2 (end of the weekend repeat run)
Monday 7:55AM GMT 8a. "Day Of The Clown" pt 1 of 2
Tuesday 7:55AM GMT 8b. "Day Of The Clown" pt 2 of 2
Wednesday 7:55AM GMT 9a. "Secrets Of The Stars" pt 1 of 2
Thursday 7:55AM GMT 9b. "Secrets Of The Stars" pt 2 of 2
Friday 7:55AM GMT 10a. "Mark Of The Beserker" pt 1 of 2
30 March 7:55AM BST 10b. "Mark Of The Beserker" pt 2 of 2
31 March 7:55AM BST 11a. "The Temptation Of Sarah Jane Smith" pt 1 of 2
1 April 7:55AM BST 11b. "The Temptation Of Sarah Jane Smith" pt 2 of 2
2 April 7:55AM BST 12a. "Revenge Of The Bane" pt 1 of 2
3 April 7:55AM BST 12b. "Revenge Of The Bane" pt 2 of 2
BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca
Classic Doctor Who and exclusive Canadian home of the Sarah Jane Adventures. We do not know if they have bought Series 2.
Series 1 repeats:
Sunday 9PM and 5AM EDT 2a. "Revenge Of The Slitheen" pt 1 of 2
Sunday 9:30PM and 5:30AM EDT 2b. "Revenge Of The Slitheen" pt 2 of 2
29 March 9PM and 5AM EDT 3a. "Eye Of The Gorgon" pt 1 of 2
29 March 9:30PM and 5:30AM EDT 3b. "Eye Of The Gorgon" pt 2 of 2
K9 - Coming later 2009. Network Ten in Australia will air it. Other broadcasters unknown. 26 episodes in this first batch.
ONLINE RADIO SHOWS/PODCASTS:
This section is looking for currently in production, interesting podcasts related to Doctor Who. If you think your webcast/podcast (or somebody else's) belongs in this section, e-mail me.
Doctor Who: Podshock http://www.gallifreyanembassy.org/portal
Live Talkshoe broadcasts - http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/23358
call in number (724) 444-7444 call id 23358
1) Home to the Weekly-ish chat show with US and UK Doctor Who fans done in podcast format. Hosted by Louis Trapani, Ken Deep, and James Naughton, with frequent contributions/co-hosting by Dave AC, Mike Doran, and a cast of many. There is a feed for studio shows and for life shows.
2) Also home to the Sonic Newsdriver, Louis Trapani's periodic rundown of new Doctor Who news.
3) Also home to the Hitch-hiker's Guide To British Sci-Fi, a podcast covering a mix of shows, including Doctor Who.
Episode 143 - Part 2 of a touching interview with John Levene (RSM Benton), recorded at Gallifrey 2009. Podshock gets a sponsor. The value of feedback. Chicago Tardis report part 2 by Billy Davis. And so forth. 1 hour, 47 minutes.
DWO Whocast http://www.thewhocast.com
Whocast episode 111. The story of K9, and other features, in a very metal episode of the Whocast.
The Two Doctors http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thetwodoctors
call in number (718) 664-9807
Jim Iaccino and Kenn Gold look at the latest SciFi broadcasts in the US, with emphasis on fitting in Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Dollhouse, Terminator, Fringe, and the other big scifi shows of the moment. Everything is based on US premiere dates rather than UK. Approximately 90 minutes per episode. Show airs live with a text chat and can be downloaded later.
Just up - Special episode recorded the night of the Galactica finale.
Next episode - Late Sunday Midnight EDT/9PM PDT/4AM GMT - the regular episode, with current topics.
Tin Dog Podcast http://www.tin-dog.co.uk
Weekly UK based podcast looking at the latest in Doctor Who, Torchwood, or Sarah Jane Adventures. New episodes ever 2 weeks or so.
85 - Review of Attack Of The Cybermen and Michael's theory on the history of the Cybermen.
CIA - Cultdom In Audio http://ciashock.podomatic.com
Live Talkshoe broadcasts http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/30659
call in number (724) 444-7444 call id 30659
West, Dave AC, Colin, and other Doctor Who fans liked the live Doctor Who: Podshocks so much that they wanted to keep talking afterwards. The resulting show covers Doctor Who, anything else sci-fi related, and can go wildly off in all directions. Chats open 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
Current episode - Scifi life in Second Life.
Sunday 2PM EDT/11AM PDT/6PM GMT - Comedy Legends
29 March 2PM EDT/11AM PDT/7PM BST - CosPlay
6 April 2PM EDT/11AM PDT/7PM BST - Missing Doctor Who episodes!
Radio Free Skaro http://radiofreeskaro.wordpress.com
The 3 Canadians get together on Sundays for about an hour or two or more to discuss the latest in Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Sarah Jane in a fairly amusing manner.
#129 - "Digressionary Tactics" - Madly off in all directions, in search of a topic.
"So You Want To Podcast Doctor Who: The Director's Cut" - 6 minute video edited from the Podcast Panel at Gallifrey 2009. Starring the casts of Radio Free Skaro, Tachyon TV, and Doctor Who: Podshock.
Coming This Weekend:
#130 - "A new episode with topic not yet announced".
A Podcast Of Impossible Things http://podcastofimpossiblethings.blogspot.com
Cardiff-based Doctor Who fans get together to discuss the latest Doctor Who and do a full length commentary on new Doctor Who episodes.
A short look at The Next Doctor..
A Whovian's Quest http://www.whovianquest.com
Jonathan Rainer is podcasting his experiences as he watches Doctor Who. In original broadcast order. From 1963. Without a gap. Can he pull it off?
Current episode - 13 - The Web Planet. Includes an update on the delays in the interactive website Jonathan is planning.
Bigger On The Inside http://www.earth-2.net
Mike and Dan decide to do their own podcast exploring each Doctor Who story in broadcast order. It is a very different style from Jonathan's. Again - can they pull it off? Part of the Earth-2 family of podcasts. Warning - explicit language (swearing). If your headphones leak any sound at all - do not listen at work.
Current episode - 9. The Web Planet. Mike and Dan are not entirely complimentary to this story.
Hoo On Who - reviews of recent Doctor Who DVDs. Current episode - Ghostlight.
Staggering Stories - in the middle of checking out
Two Minute Time Lord http://twominutetimelord.com
Episodes are 2 to 3 minutes long.
11 - Meeting Up - discovering fan meetings.
The Big Finish Podcast http://www.bigfinish.com/podcast
Big Finish podcasts at least once a month to discuss their Doctor Who and other projects (Sapphire and Steel, Stargate (!), Dark Shadows, Bernice Summerfield, etc).
Current episode - March News. Straightening out questions about how the download service will work for the new 8th Doctor/Lucie Miller Big Finish epsiodes this year.
Cliff And Stephanie's Doctor Who Fan Podcast http://www.gspn.tv
Current episode - 17 - Review of Midnight, Turn Left, The Stolen Earth, and Journey's End (free)
Next episode - content unknown
Cliff and Stephanie Ravenscraft review Doctor Who episodes when their busy schedule of podcasts allows time. This time it is a group review of the end of Series 4 and their thoughts on Doctor Who's upcoming break/loss of David Tennant.
GSPN.tv is a network of podcasts on TV shows, daily life, religion, and other issues that interest the 3 Ravenscrafts. Doctor Who Fan Podcast becomes one of the pay programs in the network starting with episode 12. The existing paying audience ranked Doctor Who dead last in their interests (annoying the hosts who want to do the show but are living off the revenue from their podcasts). If you subscribe to their podcasts in order to hear the new Doctor Who episodes, be sure to alert them that you are doing this. Half the episodes expected to be free, half paid.
MMM Commentaries http://www.mmmcommentaries.com
Roving Australian podcasting gang. Some episodes are a discussion of the latest sci-fi news, including Doctor Who. Other episodes are commentaries on Doctor Who episodes, Star Wars films, some Stargate stuff, and others.
Current episode - Terror Of The Autons, pt 4.
TV Talk with Shaun O'Mac http://blogtalkradio.com/shaunomacradio
Weeknights 6 to 8PM EDT (3 to 5PM PDT) [Friday 7PM EDT/4PM PDT]
Shaun O'Mac (of the Jericho "nuts" campaign) hosts a daily 2 hour show covering all things TV. Doctor Who is usually discussed in the 2nd hour of the Friday show with Two Doctors co-host Kenn Gold. Listen and chat live through the website with archives appearing right after the show finishes.
The Minute Doctor Who Podcast http://web.mac.com/backintheussr6/The_Minute_Doctor_Who_Podcast/Podcast/Podcast.html
Video podcast looking at Doctor Who projects. Episodes are usually under 5 minutes long.
Current episode - 9. Why there has not been a new episode in a while.
Doctor Who Review Today http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/22756
Live editions Late Fridays 1AM EDT/10PM PDT/5AM GMT
Robert Carrie King reviews Doctor Who topics on this Talkshoe program.
PBS Stations With Doctor Who Rights That Could Air Again:
A - BOUGHT SERIES THREE: (rights expire at date unknown)
1) WTTW Chicago, IL http://www.wttw.com analog 11 digital .1 - digital only 6/12/09
Chicago DirecTV 11,965 DirecTVHD 11 Chicago Dish 11,8496
Rockford, IL - cable station only
WTTW also has the right to air Series 1 one more time (but it expires tonight), Series 2 two more times, and all of their Series 3 rights (unknown how many cycles stations are getting of Series 3).
A - BOUGHT SERIES TWO: (rights expire March 31, 2010)
1) UNC North Carolina http://www.unctv.org analog 58,17,30,4,36,33 digital .1 - digital only 6/12/09
Charlotte DirecTV 58,892 Charlotte Dish 4,8662
Greenville, SC DirecTV 33,892 Greenville, SC Dish 4,8190
Norfolk, VA DirecTV 2 Norfolk, VA Dish 2,7271
Florence, SC DirecTV 31 Florence, SC Dish 31,7845
Greenville, NC DirecTV 25 Greenville, NC Dish 19,7737
UNC has the right to air Series 1 for one more cycle (but it expires tonight) and Series 2 for two more cycles.
2) KCPT 19.1 Kansas City, MO http://www.kcpt.org
Kansas City DirecTV 19 Kansas City Dish 19,8436
KCPT has the right to air Series 2 two more times.
Other stations that are not currently airing Who or Sarah Jane but may still have rights:
1) HUNGARY (airing as Ki Vagi, Doki?) - Cool TV http://www.cooltv.hu
Series 2 completed.
RTL Klub http://www.rtlklub.hu http://doctorwho.gportal.hu
Series 2 Repeat Run halted, it appears.
2) JAPAN - BS-2 http://www.nhk.or.jp/bs Series 1 and 2 Completed.
NHK 3 http://www.nhk.or.jp Series 1 and 2 Completed.
3) ISRAEL - Yes Stars http://www.yes.co.il
4) UKRAINE - ICTV
5) BELGIUM - LaDeux http://www.ladeux.be - all episodes dubbed into French - Series 3 completed.
6) NETHERLANDS - Nederland 2 http://nederland2.nl - Series 2 completed.
7) DENMARK - DR 1 http://www.dr.dk/tv Series 1 Repeats Completed.
8) FINLAND - TV2 http://www.yle.fi/tv2 - No additional airdates at present
9) NORWAY - NRK3 http://www.nrk.no http://www.nrk.no/programmer/sider/doktor_who
Series 1 repeat run completed.
10) SOUTH AFRICA - SABC 2 http://www.sabc2.co.za/portal/site/sabc2
The Sarah Jane Adventures Series 1 - not on schedule.
11) HONG KONG - ATV World http://www.hkatv.com/v3/world/world.html - 3rd Series completed.
12) POLAND - TVP1 http://v2.tvp.pl - Repeat run completed.
BBC Entertainment Poland http://poland.bbcentertainment.com - Airs as Doktor Who. Repeat run halted.
13) SWEDEN - SVT 24 and SVT HD http://www.svt.se
14) GREECE - Skai TV http://www.skai.gr - Between seasons.
15) ICELAND - RUV http://www.ruv.is - English with Icelandic subtitles - Series 1 and 2 completed.
16) TURKEY - Cine 5 http://www.cine5.com.tr
17) THAILAND - Channel 7 http://www.ch7.com
18) ITALY - Jimmy http://www.jimmy.tv
Voyage Of The Damned has aired - rest of Series 4 airdates TBA.
RAISAT Smash http://www.smash.raisat.it
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 1 - dubbed into Italian. Pan & scan 4:3 image. completed run?
19) UK - BBC HD http://www.bbc.co.uk/hd - can air Doctor Who At The Proms again and all future Doctor Who stories, now that the show is going HD
BBC Radio 7 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio7 - available via UK digital radio, UK digital TV, live streaming worldwide via Windows Media Player and RealPlayer, archived one week via iPlayer (inside the UK) and RealPlayer (all over the world)
20) NEW ZEALAND - Prime TV http://www.primetv.co.nz http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com 16:9 digital; 4:3 pan and scan analog.
21) AFRICA/MIDDLE EAST - Showtime Arabia http://www.showtimearabia.com
ShowSeries 1 (all airings 2 hours earlier on ShowSeries 1 Extra) - Series 3 Encore completed.
22) DUBAI - Dubai One http://www.dmi.ae/dubaione/default.asp
More info needed. Doctor Who was seen airing on this station over Christmas.
23) ROMANIA - TVR2 http://www.tvr.ro - Series 3 completed.
24) FRANCE - France 4 http://www.france4.fr - Series 4 completed.
25) EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST - BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com Who Series 1 and 2; Doctor Who Confidential Cut Down
Adjust for local time, which could vary by several hours
26) SOUTH KOREA - KBS2 http://www.kbs.co.kr http://www.kbs.co.kr/2tv/enter/doctorwho/index.html
Primary language Korean, English language as secondary audio. 4th series completed.
27) AUSTRALIA - Nickelodeon Australia http://www.nickelodeon.com.au http://www.foxtel.tv - Sarah Jane Series 2 coming in July.
Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.
Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2009.