FYI: The @home situation - the first piece of good news for @home customers

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2001
      Just had a little chat with a Comcast service technician who was visiting
      subscribers in the neighborhood.

      First - bad news. Talks are failing. excite@home will definitely go under,
      in a matter of hours to days, and Comcast at least has no new service in
      place.

      Second - the good news. If this technician is telling the truth, excite@home
      only has the legal right to shut down the E-MAIL ADDRESSES. They do not have
      the right to shut down the internet service, at least for Comcast, because
      the cable company is providing the modem and the link to the net.

      *If this is true*, all @home subscribers will still have full access to the
      internet. We just lose all our @home e-mail addresses. So, if you have a
      backup e-mail address - like my hotmail account - you can direct people to
      send their e-mail to it.

      As regards the This Week In Doctor Who column, I can continue to publish it
      uninterrupted under these circumstances, with just a little inconvenience.
      So the column should continue with no problems.

      I hope.

      Just hope the technician has the right information.

      Benjamin F. Elliott
      12:48PM Sunday, December 2nd