TWIDW Update: TV2 Finland and KBS South Korea Buy Series!

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 4:06 AM
      Two more international broadcasters have bought Doctor Who.
      Information is sadly sketchy, as the BBC didn't announce it
      themselves. There have probably been more international sales, and
      it appears we may have to dig for them ourselves.

      1) FINLAND!!!

      Kristopher Lawson found that TV2 in Finland had bought the series.
      TV2 airs English language programming in English with subtitles - no
      dubbing.

      http://www.yle.fi/mobiiliuutis%c2%adet/uutiset/pop_p7.html
      (Not sure if this link will be kept stable)

      "BBC:n Doctor Who TV2:lle

      Yle on hankkinut BBC:lt? aikanaan kulttiohjelmaksi nousseen nuorten
      sci-fi-sarja Doctor Whon. BBC on tuottanut sarjasta n?ytt?v?n uuden
      version, joka n?hd??n TV2:lla."

      Translated:

      "BBC's Doctor Who on TV2

      Yle has purchased the rights to Doctor Who, the cult youth sci-fi
      series, from the BBC. The BBC has produced an impressive new version
      which will be shown on TV2."

      TV2's website - http://www.yle.fi/tv2/ - no English translation. No
      sign of a series premiere yet from my attempts to read the site.

      2) South Korea!!!

      Outpost Gallifrey http://www.gallifreyone.com has the following
      announcement:

      "South Korea is the latest country to pick up the series. South
      Korean public TV station KBS (equivalent to BBC) is going to
      broadcast the new Doctor Who series from the 5th of June, every
      Saturday at 11.15 pm. No further details as yet."

      That would probably be Saturday the 4th, which would make KBS the
      4th major broadcaster behind the BBC, CBC, and ABC.

      KBS Website - http://www.kbs.co.kr (in Korean, may try to download
      Korean symbols to your computer)
      KBS Website in English - http://english.kbs.co.kr (may still try to
      download Korean symbols to your computer if you don't already have
      them)

      KBS seems to have several TV channels. On the Korean language
      website I have been able to identify 1 English language show on 2TV
      (Lost, airing several times a week). On the English language site
      the TV schedules aren't included.

      The list of known Doctor Who broadcasters is now:
      UK - BBC One, BBC Three
      Canada - CBC
      Australia - ABC
      South Korea - KBS (one of the channels)
      Finland - TV2
      New Zealand - Prime TV
      Italy - Canal Jimmy
      Netherlands - Nederland 3
      and the episode Rose on Thomsonfly Airlines

      If it has been sold to your country and is not yet on this list,
      please alert at thisweekindoctorwho-owner@yahoogroups.com .

      Congratulations, Finland and South Korea.

      Benjamin F. Elliott
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho