This Week In Doctor Who - August 10, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2001
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - August 10, 2001
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 4, No 32
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/

      Welcome to the weekly guide to Doctor Who TV broadcasts. The computer is
      claiming that Gene Roddenberry is speaking to it in French, which is unusual
      as Gene Roddenberry is not on speaking terms with my computer. Australian
      and New Zealand readers will have to bear with all of us in the Northern
      Hemisphere - we're close to brain dead right now from a heat wave. I'll try
      to keep the column short so we can leave our computers to melt in peace.

      Outpost Gallifrey http://www.gallifreyone.com/ reported good news yesterday.
      The BBC has decided to produce the remaining 5 episodes of Death Comes To
      Time, the Doctor Who audio drama abandoned by Radio 4 last year. It stars
      Sylvester McCoy as the 7th Doctor. The first and only produced episode has
      been offered via real audio from BBC Online's Doctor Who site
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ since mid-July, and performed
      significantly above the BBC's listening expectations. It is unknown as of
      this time whether the remaining episodes will premiere on radio, online like
      episode 1, or be released on CD. I don't think Death Comes To Time is the
      direction for Doctor Who in the future, but episode 1 was fun to listen to,
      and I look forward to hearing the rest of the story.

      New Zealand Doctor Who fans had been hoping for Doctor Who's return to Prime
      TV http://www.primetv.co.nz/ in August following the completion of their run
      of Blake's 7. However, Prime has decided to air Voyage To The Bottom Of The
      Sea, a 60s US television series, in the 6PM slot that Doctor Who previously
      had. Assuming Prime airs all of Voyage, it will be late December before the
      6PM slot is available again. It is expected that Prime *will* resume airing
      Doctor Who down the road, but unless Prime gives the show a different time
      slot, it will be a while. The Tetrap web site
      http://www.tetrap.com/drwho/nzdwfc/ is the best source for information on
      the current status of Doctor Who in New Zealand. Their website, which had
      been offline or difficult to load these past few weeks, is now working
      properly again,

      Oops (one of mine): San Jose, CA Doctor Who fans may have noticed that
      Doctor Who wasn't on KTEH 54 last week - Gormenghast was airing. I got the
      week that Doctor Who was being pre-empted mixed up. The episodes mentioned
      for last weekend are actually airing this weekend.

      Oops (not mine): WYBE 35 in Philadelphia, PA aired Colin Baker episodes at
      5:30PM Saturday again, in spite of the instructions from the syndicator that
      Colin Baker episodes are temporarily unavailable. The advertised Sylvester
      McCoy episodes seem to be airing at 4AM and 11PM. I'd like to think this
      means that the issues keeping Colin Baker off the air have been resolved.
      More likely - it's just someone forgetting to get the tapes straight. Might
      be worth tuning in this weekend to see if they mess up again and show more
      unexpected episodes.

      Subscribers to the TWIDW yahoo group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/ were able to take part in
      the first live TWIDW webchat this past Tuesday evening at 9:30PM Eastern
      Time. It ran for just under 90 minutes, slightly longer than planned. About
      8 or 9 of us turned up during the evening, and we had a good time. I've
      decided to schedule another TWIDW chat for this coming Tuesday evening
      (August 14) at 9:45PM Eastern Time, for around 1 hour. That's 1:45AM early
      Wednesday GMT, for people outside the US who want to figure out if they'll
      be around to take part. Open forum - comments on the column, Doctor Who on
      TV, etc. The chat room only allows subscribers to the yahoo group who have
      yahoo ids. Don't know how to get around that yet without having to get
      another chat room. Hope to see some of you there.

      Additions and corrections are welcome at bfelliott@... ,
      bfelliott@... , bfelliott3 on AOL IM, or thebfe on Yahoo!
      Messenger. And now, the listings:

      INTERNET:

      BBC Online http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/
      "Death Comes To Time" episode 1 of 6 - realplayer broadcast starring
      Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, and Stephen Fry
      "The Abominable Snowmen" ep 4 of 6 - photonovel reconstruction of the
      Patrick Troughton episode

      TV:

      UK:

      UK Gold http://www.sceneone.co.uk/s1/tv/listings
      Sat 9:05-11AM BST "Nightmare Of Eden" movie
      Sun 9:05-11AM BST "The Horns Of Nimon" movie

      EUROPE/AFRICA/ASIA:

      BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com/
      Late Fri 1:10AM*, Sat 3:30PM, Sun 11:30AM CET "Warriors From The Deep" ep 3
      of 4
      Late Thu 12:30AM CET "Warriors From The Deep" ep 4 of 4
      *Not seen in all regions.

      AUSTRALIA:

      UKTV http://www.varos.com/drwho/uktv/ http://www.uktv.com.au/
      Sun 7AM, Late Sun 1AM AEST "The Creature From The Pit" all 4 eps
      Mon-Wed 11:30PM AEST "Logopolis" eps 2 - 4 of 4
      Thu-Fri 11:30PM AEST "Castrovalva" eps 1 - 2 of 4

      USA:

      NHPTV New Hampshire 11,49,52 http://www.nhptv.org/
      Late Sat Mid EDT "The Creature From The Pit" eps 3+4 of 4
      Late Thu 1AM EDT "Nightmare Of Eden" eps 1+2 of 4
      Late start due to pledge drives. Don't miss this broadcast, as episodes 1+2
      of Nightmare Of Eden will *not* be rerun.

      WQED/WQEX 13,16 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org/
      Pre-empted by pledges. Next episodes August 25, unless a surprise special
      airs during the viewers' choice times, as has happened occasionally. Check
      WQED's website and online schedule on the 11th and 18th just in case
      something gets slipped in.

      WYBE 35 Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org/
      Sat 4AM+**5:30PM** EDT "Paradise Towers" eps 1+2 of 4
      Sat 11PM EDT "Paradise Towers" eps 3+4 of 4
      **Presumably by accident, WYBE has aired the originally scheduled Colin
      Baker episodes in the 5:30PM time period, even though those episodes were
      officially yanked at the last minute. Unless they realize this and switch
      the tapes, the first half of "Vengeance On Varos" might air in that time
      slot.

      MPT Maryland 22,28,31,36,62,67 http://www.mpt.org/
      Late Sat Mid EDT "The War Machines" movie
      *Time approximate after Red Dwarf.*

      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episodes August 18.

      WYIN 56 Gary, IN (Chicago, IL) http://www.wyin.org/
      Sat 10PM-Mid, Sun Noon-2PM CDT "The Robots Of Death" all 4 eps

      WILL 12 Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu/
      Sat 11:35PM CDT "The Brain Of Morbius" ep 3 of 4

      TPT St. Paul, MN http://www.tpt.org/
      analog KTCA 2, digital KTCI-DT 16-5 (2-5)
      Sat 11:30PM, Sun 5:30AM CDT "The Armageddon Factor" ep 1 of 6

      IPTV Iowa 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36 http://www.sffn.com/ http://www.iptv.org/
      Fri 11:05PM CDT "The Visitation" eps 3+4 of 4
      No episodes next week due to State Fair coverage. Doctor Who returns August
      24.

      PPTV North Dakots 2,3,4,6,9,13,19 http://www.pptv.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episode August 17.

      KERA 13 Dallas, TX http://www.kera.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episodes late August 17.

      KBDI/K32EO 12,32 Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episodes August 25.

      KUED 7 Salt Lake City, UT http://www.kued.org/
      Sat 9PM-?? MDT "Dalek Marathon"
      Selected episodes from Dalek stories are scheduled to air on this pledge
      night. Length of marathon is unknown.

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Gray's River, WA
      http://www.kbtc.org/
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PDT "City Of Death" eps 3+4 of 4

      KTEH 54 San Jose, CA http://www.kteh.org/
      (Last week's column erroneously reported that these episodes would air on
      August 5, with Doctor Who being pre-empted by Gormenghast on August 12. That
      was backwards. Gormenghast ran all evening on August 5, and the Doctor Who
      episodes were delayed to August 12. My apologies for anyone who got the
      wrong information.)
      Sun 11PM PDT "Doctor Who and the Silurians" ep 7 of 7
      Sun 11:25PM PDT "The Ambassadors Of Death" ep 1 of 7

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2001.