David Tennant Is The Tenth Doctor Who!

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2005
      16 days and a few hours after the BBC announced that Christopher
      Eccleston was departing the role of the Doctor, they have announced
      David Tennant as the new Doctor. David Tennant will assume the role
      for series 2 (it is unclear which actor will be the Doctor in the
      Christmas special).

      The news should eventually be on the BBC Doctor Who website yet
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho . Right now Outpost Gallifrey
      http://www.gallifreyone.com has a picture of Tennant, the news, and
      a good biography on the actor. Here is the official BBC press
      release on the news:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/04_april/
      16/tennant.shtml

      David Tennant is confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who, it was announced
      today by Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning,
      following the recommissioning of the second series.

      Tennant, whose recent credits include BBC THREE's critically-
      acclaimed drama series Casanova, BBC ONE's Blackpool and He Knew He
      Was Right, will star alongside Billie Piper who returns as Rose
      Tyler.

      Julie Gardner, BBC Head of Drama, Wales says: "Christopher Eccleston
      has given an exceptional performance as the ninth Doctor.

      "David Tennant is a great actor who will build on the excellent work
      already done by Christopher in establishing Doctor Who for a new
      generation."

      David Tennant says: "I am delighted, excited and honoured to be the
      tenth Doctor!

      "I grew up loving Doctor Who and it has been a lifelong dream to get
      my very own TARDIS.

      "Russell T Davies is one of the best writers television has ever
      had, and I'm chuffed to bits to get the opportunity to work with him
      again.

      "I'm also really looking forward to working with Billie Piper who is
      so great as Rose.

      "Taking over from Chris is a daunting prospect; he has done a
      fantastic job of reinventing the Doctor for a new generation and is
      a very tough act to follow."

      Executive producer/writer Russell T Davies adds: "Christopher
      Eccelston's wonderful Doctor has reinvented the role, so that it now
      appeals to the best actors in the land.

      "I'm already writing David's first new adventure on board the
      TARDIS!

      "Regeneration is a huge part of the programme's mythology, and I'm
      delighted that new, young viewers can now have the complete Doctor
      Who experience, as they witness their hero change his face!"

      A new 13-part adventure and Christmas special begins filming in
      Cardiff in the summer for transmission on BBC ONE.

      And here's the BBC news version:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4450285.stm

      Tennant to take over the Tardis

      The new Doctor Who has been officially named as David Tennant, the
      star of BBC period drama Casanova.
      Tennant, 33, will become the 10th Time Lord when filming starts on
      the new series in Cardiff this summer.

      He is taking over from Christopher Eccleston, who announced he was
      quitting last month after only one series as the Doctor.

      Tennant, who will star alongside Billie Piper, said he
      was "delighted, excited and honoured".

      Other actors who had been linked with the time-travelling role
      included Bill Nighy, Eddie Izzard, Richard E Grant, David Thewlis
      and Alan Davies.

      "I grew up loving Doctor Who and it has been a lifelong dream to get
      my very own Tardis," said Tennant.

      "Taking over from Chris is a daunting prospect - he has done a
      fantastic job of reinventing the Doctor for a new generation and is
      a very tough act to follow."

      "I'm also really looking forward to working with Billie Piper who is
      so great as Rose."

      He also said he was "chuffed to bits" to be working again with
      executive producer Russell T Davies, who also wrote Casanova.

      Tennant, from Bathgate, West Lothian, has also starred in BBC shows
      Blackpool and He Knew He Was Right, and the Stephen Fry movie Bright
      Young Things.

      He also voiced a role in the 2003 internet episode of Doctor Who,
      Scream of the Shalka.

      'Great actor'

      Davies said he had already started writing Tennant's first adventure
      on board the Tardis.

      "Regeneration is a huge part of the programme's mythology, and I'm
      delighted that new, young viewers can now have the complete Doctor
      Who experience, as they witness their hero change his face!"

      He said Christopher Eccleston has reinvented the role of Doctor Who
      so that it appealed to the best actors in the land.

      Julie Gardner, BBC Head of Drama, Wales added: "Christopher
      Eccleston has given an exceptional performance as the ninth Doctor.

      "David Tennant is a great actor who will build on the excellent work
      already done by Christopher in establishing Doctor Who for a new
      generation."

      A new 13-part adventure and Christmas special will start filming
      later in 2005.