TWIDW Update: Canadian Ratings - Doctor Who #2 In Time Slot!

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2005
      The Doctor Who Information Network http://www.dwin.org has the
      following report in their Blog http://www.doctorwhoblog.com on
      Doctor Who's ratings:
      ----------------------------

      April 07, 2005
      FIRST RATE!
      The premiere of Doctor Who destroyed in the ratings on April the
      5th. Doctor Who did extremely well on the CBC with over 989 000
      viewers. Compared to the 9.9 million in UK this number might seem
      small...but for Canadian television numbers, and for the CBC this is
      HUGE, and exactly where we wanted the show to come in at.

      Doctor Who did not win the evenings rating's war across the
      board...it did, however, win for the network. Four shows on other
      major Canadian networks beat Doctor Who. They were American Idol (2
      508 000) which was in the same time slot, The Amazing Race (3 140
      000), LAW AND ORDER:SVU (1 294 000) and CTV National News (1 428
      000). Three of those shows are big US productions, with an
      established following while the news is...THE NEWS! :)

      Put it another way Doctor Who DESTROYED House, Judging Amy, CBC's
      News, Jag, The Outer Limits, Blue Jays baseball, and a host of other
      programs in and around that time slot.

      So this fan is very happy indeed, and I'm sure the CBC is as well.
      Doctor Who won CBC's night, and reportedly did more than double what
      programming that slot normally gets on a Tuesday evening. On any day
      989 000+ viewing the CBC is amazing... I can only think of Hockey
      getting better numbers than Doctor Who. And this number only
      reflects what the industry can measure...so I'm sure the numbers are
      even higher here in Canada, as well as in the UK.

      It's this fan's opinion that Doctor Who will have a nice run on the
      Mother Corp, and that we'll be seeing Series two on the Ceeb before
      too long.

      Woo-Who!