This Week In Doctor Who - August 3, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 3:13 AM
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - August 3, 2001
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 4, No 31
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/

      Welcome to This Week In Doctor Who, the column covering all known TV
      broadcasts of Doctor Who worldwide, and the occasional broadcasts in other
      media forms.

      Philadelphia, PA - WYBE 35 http://www.wybe.org/ gave viewers a surprise
      (accidental) viewing of Colin Baker last week. In the Saturday 5:30PM rerun
      slot, the first half of Attack Of The Cybermen (a Colin Baker story) aired.
      While Attack was originally intended to air in that slot, the temporary
      moritorium on the use of Colin Baker stories had resulted in a last minute
      schedule change, and the first half of Time And The Rani was supposed to
      rerun there. The 11PM broadcast was the scheduled second half of Time And
      The Rani, so most likely WYBE will rerun the second half of Time at 5:30PM
      this Saturday and go on with McCoy, returning to Colin Baker when the
      moritorium is over.

      Salt Lake City, UT - KUED 7 http://www.kued.org/ has now given a start time
      for its Dalek marathon. 9PM on Saturday, August 11th. It looks like it will
      be at least 4 25 minute episodes and run until at least 11:30PM. The Dalek
      marathon is expected to consist of selected episodes of Dalek stories with
      Davros in them.

      Gary, IN and Chicago, IL - WYIN 56 http://www.wyin.org/ is giving multiple
      airings to Doctor Who stories in pledge season again. Expect 3 showings of
      The Deadly Assassin this weekend and at least 2 showings of The Face Of Evil
      next weekend. No, I don't know why they are jumping back to preivously aired
      stories for the pledge specials instead of airing *new* material for them.
      Maybe it's an attempt to show "best-of" installments?

      Australia - UKTV http://www.uktv.com.au/ celebrated its 5th anniversary
      quietly on Wednesday 1 August. Only 5 of the shows on that station have had
      nearly unbroken runs airing since the station launched. 3 of those shows are
      soap operas. One is the crime drama The Bill. The other is Doctor Who.
      Congratulations to UKTV on keeping Doctor Who around (most of the time) for
      all these years.

      Joey Reynolds (yes, the one with the sci-fi radio show temporarily on
      vacation) has started up a website trying to cover the history of Doctor Who
      in America. It's at http://hometown.aol.com/americanwho/ . It's at its very
      beginnings right now. Could be a site to watch.

      Subscribers to the This Week In Doctor Who Yahoo! Group are invited to the
      first official TWIDW group chat on the website
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/ . At the website, click
      the word chat on the left. Subscribers with yahoo ids can access the chat
      room (and the hard to update calendar, and the as yet unfilled "files"
      section. The chat will be held at 9:30PM Tuesday evening Eastern US Daylight
      Time (6:30PM Pacific US Daylight Time, 1:30AM Wednesday GMT, 2:30AM
      Wednesday British Standard Time, 11:30AM Australian Eastern Standard Time).
      If your time zone is not listed, convert to your time based on those. The
      chat is tentatively set for 45 minutes. If you have any concerns about how
      the chat works, go to the chat room Shaun Lyon has set up at Outpost
      Gallifrey http://www.gallifreyone.com/ . It's the same kind of room, with
      the same tools and toys to play with.

      One detail - to use a Yahoo! Group chat room, you have to be a member of
      that group. So if you read the column without joining as a member, the chat
      room won't recognize you. Nor will it recognize those who read the column at
      Jason Fraser's, Siobahn Morgan's, and Roger Clark's excellent websites, or
      those who just read in on rec.arts.drwho . Only subscribers to the TWIDW
      Yahoo! Group can get in, and only then if you're signed into the group with
      your yahoo id. I'd love to have a chat room for the general public, but that
      would require money I do not currently have, so a Yahoo! chat it will have
      to be.

      It will be a general chat aimed at getting members interested in chatting
      acquainted with how this room works. Also, it will be a chance to ask
      questions about the column and give your thoughts. I've been mulling over
      some ideas for ways to improve the content at the Yahoo! page that I will
      share at the chat, and gauge the reaction. As the owner of the group, I can
      modify it as I please, but it's best to ensure there is some interest in the
      plans before bothering to go forward. Here's hoping to see many of you
      there, either chatting or watching the conversation silently.

      Additions and corrections are welcome at bfelliott@... ,
      bfelliott@... , bfelliott3 on AOL IM, or thebfe on Yahoo!
      Messenger. And now, the listings:

      INTERNET:

      BBC Online http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/
      "Death Comes To Time" radio pilot
      I've finally heard this Doctor Who episode. Definitely different from the
      Doctor Who we all know. With excellent illustrations. The guilty pleasure of
      2001.
      "The Abominable Snowmen" ep 3 of 6 (photonovel)
      Reconstruction through photos of this lost 2nd Doctor episode.

      TV:

      UK:

      UK Gold http://www.sceneone.co.uk/s1/tv/listings
      Sat 9:05-11AM BST "City Of Death" movie
      K-9's log. "This is the pits. It was bad enough when we landed on worlds
      with lots of stairs or that jungle planet, and I had to stay in the ship. Or
      when I was out of commission for repairs. Now we're on Earth, the Doctor's
      favorite planet, in Paris, one of his favorite cities. Hardly any problems
      with stairs and not a jungle in sight. But do I get to roam around the city,
      use the underground, get my picture painted, chat with the Eiffel Tower,
      visit the Louvre, or tangle with a creature who's been splintered into 12
      segments across human history? Oh, no. Doctor Master and Romana claim I'd be
      a 'dangerous anacronism'. Robotic dogs were not accepted members of society
      in 1979. DANGEROUS ANACRONISM!!! Of all the people to talk, those two should
      not be telling ME about dangerous anacronisms! Fine. I'll show them. I'll
      only speak through my secondary voice, the one they hate, until they
      apologize over this. And I don't care if it takes until season 18. The John
      Leeson voice is on strike!"
      Sun 9:05-11AM BST "The Creature From The Pit" movie
      Romana's log. "The Doctor is taking this very badly. So I put a component of
      the ship back into the ship, and we got a distress call. That's what the
      distress call component is for - to pick these things up. But he gets so
      tetchy. It's not like we're going to land on a jungle planet run by a power
      mad woman bent on controlling all metal, is it? K-9's not behaving much
      better, of course. He only seems interested in talking in the secondary
      voice he knows we don't like. Haven't figured out why yet."

      EUROPE/AFRICA/ASIA:

      BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com/
      Late Fri 1:10AM*, Sat 3:30PM, Sun 11:30AM CET "Warriors From The Deep" ep 2
      of 4
      Late Thu 12:35AM CET "Warriors From The Deep" ep 3 of 4
      *Not seen in all regions. The Russian power block uses a secret agent to
      attempt a hostile takeover of the sea base. Unfortunately for all sides,
      this makes it easier for the Sea Devils and Silurians to invade. Guest
      starring Godzilla's half-brother Friltilla as the Myrka.

      AUSTRALIA:

      UKTV http://www.varos.com/drwho/uktv/ http://www.uktv.com.au/
      Sun 7AM, Late Sun 1AM AEST "City Of Death" all 4 eps
      See UK Gold for description.
      Mon-Thu 11:30PM AEST "The Keeper Of Traken" eps 1 - 4 of 4
      The Keeper of Traken is dying. As his power fails, the influence of evil is
      growing on the world he loves. So he sends the Doctor and Adric in to expose
      and defeat the evil, or die trying. Guest starring Anthony Ainley as Tremas.
      Fri 11:30PM AEST "Logopolis" ep 1 of 4
      The 4th Doctor and Adric decide to measure the TARDIS to improve its
      performance. But when they are pre-occupied, a shadowy figure watches them
      with sinister foreboding for the future. Oh, and the Master's around as
      well.

      USA:

      NHPTV New Hampshire 11,49,52 http://www.nhptv.org/
      Late Sat Mid EDT "The Creature From The Pit" eps 1+2 of 4
      Late Thu Mid EDT "The Creature From The Pit" eps 3+4 of 4
      See UK Gold for description.

      WQED/WQEX 13,16 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org/
      Pre-empted by pledges. Next scheduled episodes will air August 25th,
      although WQED has been known to air Doctor Who pledge specials without
      notice.

      WYBE 35 Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org/
      Sat 4AM+5:30PM EDT "Time And The Rani" eps 3+4 of 4
      The Lakertyans need the 7th Doctor's help to stop the Rani before she
      destroys their world. Frankly, looking at the Lakertyan society, you could
      make a good case for letting the Rani succeed. But she would foul up the
      rest of the universe as well, so the Doctor has no choice but to save the
      day anyway. And for the first time in who knows how long, the writers
      remember that the TARDIS is infinitely large, and can fit many people in it.
      On that point - good job writers.
      Sat 11PM EDT "Paradise Towers" eps 1+2 of 4
      Welcome to Tilda and Tabby's "Dinner Theatre". The act changes every time,
      but the final taste is always the same. This time - a delectable stranger
      named Mel. Our first deluxe presentation in some time. Sweet, succulent,
      low-fat, and soft to the touch. "Mel" might be rather feisty and uneager to
      participate, so you will get to see some of our trademarked knitting work
      and quick reflexes in action. We've chosen the #9 knitting needle and black
      yarn, which ties in well with the black rope we have demonstrated on
      previous deluxe installments. Hopefully she will provide enough substance to
      invite your friends over for "reruns".

      MPT Maryland 22,28,31,36,62,67 http://www.mpt.org/
      Late Sat Mid EDT "The Gunfighters" movie (A Holiday For The Doctor, Don't
      Shoot The Pianist, Johnny Ringo, The OK Corral)
      Doctor Who - The Musical. The 1st Doctor, Steven, and Dodo are roped into
      the deadly Gunfight at the OK Corral. A mixture of comedy and sinister
      overtones, with action punctuated by the ballad that splits fandom up into
      those that believe it to be cool and those that find it bloody awful. Doctor
      Who rides roughshod over the Old West, and the result is a forgotten
      classic. No real American accents were harmed in the making of this
      teleproduction.

      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episodes August 18.

      WYIN 56 Gary, IN (Chicago, IL) http://www.wyin.org/
      Fri 3-5PM, Late Fri 2-4AM, Sat 11PM-1AM CDT "The Deadly Assassin" all 4 eps
      As the Chicago area cleans up after the flooding rain that struck yesterday,
      take some time off to catch one of the pledge airings of this story. The 4th
      Doctor is lured back to Gallifrey, only to be framed for the murder of the
      President of the Time Lords. To prove his innocence, OJ, er, the Doctor must
      go on a search for the real killer - in the Matrix! Perhaps the darkest
      story in the original series, with memorable plot twists in episode 4.

      WILL 12 Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu/
      Sat 11:35PM CDT "The Brain Of Morbius" ep 2 of 4
      We are the Sisterhood Of Karn. We come in peace. Unless of course there is
      any chance that Doctor Solon can use you in his evil experiments. In that
      case, we come to leave you - in pieces. A great many, quite unusable,
      pieces. Have a nice day, till then at least.

      TPT St. Paul, MN http://www.tpt.org/
      analog KTCA 2, digital KTCI-DT 16-5 (2-5)
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episode August 11.

      IPTV Iowa 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36 http://www.sffn.com/ http://www.iptv.org/
      Fri 11:05PM CDT "The Visitation" eps 1+2 of 4
      The 5th Doctor finally gets the TARDIS to Heathrow Airport - in 1666! Tegan
      is not impressed. Nor are the locals. But then, you wouldn't be impressed at
      much either if your minds were under alien control. Times like this you
      could use someone who knows his way around the area. Perhaps a Highwayman?

      PPTV North Dakota 2,3,4,6,9,13,19 http://www.pptv.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episode August 17.

      KERA 13 Dallas, TX http://www.kera.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episodes August 17.

      KBDI/K32EO 12,32 Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org/
      Pre-empted by pledge drives. Next episodes August 25.

      KUED 7 Salt Lake City, UT http://www.kued.org/
      Sat 11PM MDT "Horror Of Fang Rock" ep 3 of 4
      Time approximate. Unknown if the 12:30AM late night rerun will air. The
      Doctor and company thought they had locked the Rutan out. Instead, they
      locked it in. And the killing will continue as long as these people won't
      work together. They're doomed, aren't they.
      (Next week - a Dalek marathon, starting at 9PM.)

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Gray's River, WA
      http://www.kbtc.org/
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PDT "City Of Death" eps 1+2 of 4
      See UK Gold for description.

      KTEH 54 San Jose, CA http://www.kteh.org/
      Sun 11PM PDT "Doctor Who and the Silurians" ep 7 of 7
      Color-restored version. Just as the Doctor discovered a cure for the plague
      wiping out humanity, the Silurians kidnapped him. Now Liz Shaw must
      rediscover the formula, while the Brigadier plans to take care of the
      Silurian menace once and for all.
      Sun 11:25PM PDT "The Ambassadors Of Death" ep 1 of 7
      Black & White version. This is the story of Recovery 7. Seven months ago,
      the Probe 7 mission lost contact with Earth on route back from Mars.
      Recovery 7 is about to make contact and discover what happened to those
      astronauts. It is a discovery they should never have made.
      No episodes next week. Doctor Who will return August 19.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2001.