This Week In Doctor Who - February 2, 2005

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO
      February 2, 2005 - Vol 8, No 5
      The weekly guide to Doctor Who broadcasts worldwide.
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho

      No additional networks have added the new Doctor Who series as of
      this writing. The waiting game for TV information continues.

      Angela Myers, Viewing Services Coordinator at Maryland Public TV
      http://www.mpt.org , sent out this update about the status of Doctor
      Who on their station:

      `I'm afraid I'll not be able to shed much light on the recent "Dr.
      Who" developments which have affected our programming. We've had the
      rights pulled for most of the episodes that we used to be able to
      air and are allowed to air only the 30 episodes in the last package
      we'd obtained from the BBC. We are in a "holding pattern" until
      whatever is going on concludes and some determination is made, by
      the BBC about the old and new series and rights and what we can air.

      `We currently have our programming schedule set through the end of
      March, and as of the end of March Dr. Who is still in the MPT line-
      up. If we're going to be disallowed from showing the programs we
      have, we've not yet been notified. Like I said, we're in a "holding
      pattern" waiting for information ourselves.'

      Corrections and updates are welcome at thisweekindoctorwho-
      owner@yahoogroups.com , TWIDW on AOL IM , and thebfe on Yahoo
      Messenger. The listings:

      2005 AND BEYOND:

      DOCTOR WHO http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho
      Doctor: Christopher Eccleston
      Rose Tyler: Billie Piper
      Mickey Smith: Noel Clarke
      Jackie Tyler: Camille Coduri
      Written by: Russell T. Davies (8 episodes), Steven Moffatt (2
      episodes), Paul Cornell (1 episode), Rob Shearman (1 episode), Mark
      Gattiss (1 episode)
      Original Aspect Ratio: 16:9
      Premieres: March?
      Total episodes for first series: 13
      45 minute episodes
      First broadcaster - BBC One http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone
      Overseas Sales
      1) CBC Canada http://www.cbc.ca/television
      2) Prime TV New Zealand http://www.primetv.co.nz
      Tie-In Series - Doctor Who Confidential - weekly on BBC Three right
      after each episode's premiere on BBC One.

      RADIO/INTERNET:

      BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/webcasts/shada
      "Shada" - starring Paul McGann and Lalla Ward. Remake of the classic
      unfinished Douglas Adams story. 6 episodes long.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/webcasts/shalka
      "The Scream Of The Shalka" - starring Richard E. Grant as The
      Doctor. 6 episode story. The Shalka prepare to conquer the Earth
      from below. Unfortunately for them, the Doctor is back.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/webcasts/realtime
      "Real Time" - starring Colin Baker and the Cybermen. 6 episode
      illustrated audio tale. The Doctor and Evelyn Smythe research a
      temple that has been yanking scientists out of time. The secrets of
      the temple threaten the future and past of two species.

      American Who http://www.americanwho.net
      Current Episode:
      http://www.interstellartransmissions.com/amwho/latejan.mp3
      New interview with Terrance Dicks, part 2 of "The Greatest
      Generation Of Doctor Who" theme.
      Confirmed Future Episodes:
      2/15 - Jon Pertwee tribute (abridged encore)
      3/15 - Patrick Troughton tribute (new, he's 85 that month)
      4/15 - Jessica Carney, 30 years after the passing of her grandfather
      William Hartnell (new)
      5/15 - John Nathan-Turner tribute (encore)

      Sci-Fi Overdrive http://www.scifioverdrive.com
      on Lifestyle Talk Radio (LTR) http://www.lifestyletalkradio.com
      and Business Talk Radio (BTR) http://www.businesstalkradio.net
      LTR Late Friday Midnight-2AM EST (9-11PM PST, 2-4AM GMT, 1-3AM AEDT)
      Live LTR Stream http://www.warpradio.com/popTuner.asp?id=14175
      BTR Late Sun/Early Mon 1-4AM EST (10PM-1AM PST, 6-9AM GMT, 5-8PM
      AEDT)
      Live BTR Stream http://www.warpradio.com/popTuner.asp?id=14085
      Saturday 8-11PM EST (5-8PM PST) http://www.krradio.com (repeat of
      previous week's episode, online audio stream)
      Hour 1 - News & Comment. Hour 2 - LiningUp.net's charity work, from
      Star Wars to Gallifrey One; Felix Silla of Buck Rogers and The
      Addams Family. Hour 3 - BTR only. Richard Hatch (both Battlestar
      Galacticas).

      THE FIRST 8 DOCTORS:

      UK:

      UKTV Gold http://www.ukgold.tv http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb
      (All times 1 hour later on UKTV Gold + 1)
      Saturday 6-8AM GMT "The Hand Of Fear" movie (new time)
      Series 14, Episodes 5 through 8. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      A quarry blast reveals an ancient living hand that wants to
      regenerate its identity, its life, and its homeworld. Alas, this
      hand seems bent on destroying everything in its path - and the
      Doctor can't allow that.
      Sunday 6-7:55AM GMT "The Deadly Assassin" movie
      Series 14, Episodes 9 through 12. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      A portent of doom brings the Doctor back to Gallifrey. The
      President's life is in danger. In a story that looks suspiciously
      like the plotline of the first quarter of season 1 of "24" (but made
      25 years earlier), the Doctor risks everything for a world that
      doesn't want him.
      12 February - "The Face Of Evil"
      13 February - "The Robots Of Death"
      19 February - "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang"
      20 February - "Horror Of Fang Rock"
      26 February - "The Invisible Enemy"
      27 February - "Image Of The Fendahl"
      5 March - "The Sun Makers"
      6 March - "Underworld"
      12 March - "The Invasion Of Time"
      13 March - "The Ribos Operation"
      19 March - "The Pirate Planet"
      20 March - "City Of Death"
      26 & 27 March - pre-empted, Carry On movie marathon

      AUSTRALIA:

      ABC http://www.abc.net.au/tv
      Thursday 6:04PM "The Face Of Evil" pt 4 of 4
      Series 14, Episode 16. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      The Doctor matches wits with a computer that believes that IT is the
      Doctor.
      Monday 6:03PM "The Robots Of Death" pt 1 of 4
      Tuesday 6:03PM "The Robots Of Death" pt 2 of 4
      Wednesday 6:04PM "The Robots Of Death" pt 3 of 4
      Series 14, Episodes 17 through 19. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      Murder and mayhem on a Sandminer chugging away in a desert world.
      The Doctor suspects that the Robot members of the crew are trying to
      kill the Human members. But the robots might not be the true
      masterminds behind this evil.
      14 February - "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang"

      CANADA/USA:

      BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca
      Daily 2AM EST (11PM PST) - 2 episodes weekdays, full stories weekends
      Wednesday "The Armageddon Factor" pts 5+6 of 6
      Series 16, Episodes 25 through 26. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      The Shadow battles the Doctor for control of the final segment of
      the Key To Time. A disintegrating time loop brings Atrios and Zeos
      closer to nuclear annihilation. Romana fears that their quest may
      carry too high a price.
      Thursday "Destiny Of The Daleks" pts 1+2 of 4
      Friday "Destiny Of The Daleks" pts 3+4 of 4
      Series 17, Episodes 1 through 4. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      The TARDIS lands on Skaro, home planet of the Daleks. The Daleks
      have arrived with a slave labour force. They seem frantic to find
      something they lost. Before the other aliens can get it ...
      Saturday "Terminus" all 4 pts
      Series 20, Episodes 13 through 16. Doctor: Peter Davison.
      The TARDIS is sabotaged, forcing the crew to bail onto a plague ship
      en route to the dark centre of the Universe. Oddly enough, this
      action by the Black Guardian and his agent creates the chance to
      save the universe from total destruction. Which would imply that the
      bad guy was either off his game, or pulling a fast one on everybody.
      Sunday "Enlightenment" all 4 pts
      Series 20, Episodes 17 through 20. Doctor: Peter Davison.
      Fed up at Turlough's lack of eagerness to kill the Doctor, the Black
      Guardian drives Turlough around the bend. With the TARDIS crew pre-
      occupied on a space ship engaged in a sailing race between
      Immortals, will anyone notice?
      Monday "City Of Death" pts 1+2 of 4
      Tuesday "City Of Death" pts 3+4 of 4
      Series 17, Episodes 5 through 8. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      A vacation in Paris brings the Doctor and Romana into a plot to
      develop a time travel machine. Time could pay a dear price if this
      device is finished. So could a famous piece of art in the Louvre.
      9 February - "The Creature From The Pit"
      11 February - "Nightmare Of Eden"
      12 February - "The King's Demons"
      13 February - "Warriors Of The Deep"
      15 February - "The Horns Of Nimon"
      17 February - "The Leisure Hive"
      19 February - "The Awakening"
      20 February - "Frontios"
      21 February - "Meglos"
      23 February - "Full Circle"
      25 February - "State Of Decay"
      26 February - "Planet Of Fire"
      27 February - "The Caves Of Androzani"

      WYBE Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org
      analog 35
      digital 35-1 (34-1)
      Philadelphia DirecTV 35,909
      Philadelphia Dish 35,8162
      Saturday 11PM EST "The Edge Of Destruction" ep 1 of 7 (The Edge Of
      Destruction)
      Saturday 11:30PM EST "The Edge Of Destruction" ep 2 of 7 (The Brink
      Of Disaster)
      Series 1, Episodes 12 through 13. Doctor: William Hartnell.
      Aka "Inside The Spaceship" or "Beyond The Sun". After dealing with
      the Dalek menace (in a story that's being skipped), the Doctor tries
      to get the TARDIS to return in time to 1963. But something goes
      wrong, causing an explosion. The crew awaken with partial memory
      loss and a deep sense of paranoia about each other.
      12 February - 2 William Hartnell episodes

      MPT Maryland http://www.mpt.org
      analog 22, 67, 31, 28, 62, 36
      digital 22-2 (42-2), 67-2 (29-2), 31-2 (44-2), 28-2 (56-2), 62-2 (28-
      2), 36-2 (54-2)
      DC/Hagerstown, Baltimore DirecTV 22,980
      Baltimore Dish 22,8736
      Late Saturday Midnight-2:30AM EST "The Time Monster" movie
      Series 9, Episodes 21 through 26. Doctor: Jon Pertwee.
      The Master's research at Cambridge unlocks a gateway to the lost
      city of Atlantis, and gives the Master the chance to grab for
      ultimate power over the universe.
      12 February - "The Three Doctors"
      19 February - "Carnival Of Monster"
      26 February - "Frontier In Space"
      5 March - "The Green Death" (or "Planet Of The Daleks")
      12 March - "The Time Warrior" (or "The Green Death")
      19 March - "Invasion Of The Dinosaurs" (or "The Time Warrior)
      26 March - "Death To The Daleks" (or "Invasion Of The Dinosaurs")

      WILL Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu
      analog 12
      digital 9 - not on air
      Champaign DirecTV 12
      Champaign Dish 12,7407
      Saturday 11:40PM CST "Enlightenment" pt 1 of 4
      Series 20, Episode 17. Doctor: Peter Davison.
      See BBC Kids for details.
      12 February - "Enlightenment" pt 2
      19 February - "Enlightenment" pt 3
      26 February - "Enlightenment" pt 4 (final episode)

      IPTV Iowa http://www.sffn.com/ http://www.iptv.org
      analog 11, 32, 27, 12, 21, 24, 32, 36, 36
      digital 11-2 (50-2), 32-2 (35-2), 27-2 (28-2), 45, 25, 18, 33, 35, 34
      Des Moines DirecTV 11,474
      Des Moines Dish 11,9116
      Cedar Rapids DirecTV 12
      Cedar Rapids Dish 12,9161
      Omaha DirecTV 32
      Omaha Dish 32,9146
      Sioux City Dish 27,7195
      Quad Cities DirecTV 36
      Quad Cities Dish 36,7607 (not yet available)
      Saturday 11:35PM CST "Earthshock" pts 3+4 of 4
      Series 19, Episodes 21 through 22. Doctor: Peter Davison.
      The Cybermen take control of the freighter, which is still on course
      to Earth. Events spiral out of the Doctor's control.
      12 February - "Time-Flight" pts 1+2
      19 February - "Time-Flight" pts 3+4
      26 February - "Arc Of Infinity" pts 1+2

      KUED/KUEW-DT/KUES-DT Salt Lake City/St. George/Richfield, UT
      http://www.kued.org
      analog 7
      digital 7-1 (42-1), 18-1, 19-1
      Salt Lake City DirecTV 7,982
      Salt Lake City Dish 7,8536
      Saturday 11:30PM MST "Castrovalva" pt 2 of 4
      Series 19, Episode 2. Doctor: Tom Baker.
      To help the Doctor recover, Nyssa and Tegan search out the city of
      Castrovalva, a place of healing.
      12 February - "Castrovalva" pt 3
      19 February - "Castrovalva" pt 4
      26 February - "Four To Doomsday" pt 1

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2005.