TWIDW Update: Detailed WCET Statement

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2005
      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://cetconnect.org sent out a more
      detailed statement on Friday to Doctor Who fans regarding the
      imminent departure of the series from their schedule.

      'Hi, my name is Brian Snape. I work for CET and I'd like to speak on
      behalf of CET regarding the sudden departure of Doctor Who from our
      air.

      'Sadly, it is true. This Saturday, January 22nd, is the final
      broadcast of Doctor Who on our air. Starting February 12th, we will
      begin airing The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at 11pm.

      'As for the reason why: the BBC is eager to sell the new series with
      Christopher Eccleston here in the United States and is not renewing
      contract with PBS stations at this time. The official word from our
      contact at the BBC states:

      '"Unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed with a renewal of
      Doctor Who at this time. The new series of Doctor Who is currently
      being shopped around to various commercial broadcasters. For this
      reason, we have been asked not to make any syndication agreements on
      this title until further notice. I'm sorry if this has caused you
      inconvenience. Our sales department has been under strong pressure
      to get this new, glossy series highly placed. Unfortunately, this
      was a commercial strategy decision,and we do not have enough of an
      existing PBS user base to bid against cable or the commercial
      giants, some of which are taking the new series in consideration.
      Thank you for understanding."

      'I'm writing this email to stress that this is not a decision that
      CET made. It is being enforced at other PBS stations around the
      country that show Doctor Who and our hands are tied. And speaking
      personally as a Whovian who has watched Doctor Who since it
      premiered on CET May 4th, 1985, I'm extremely disappointed that it
      had to come down to this.

      'We appreciate the help and support you've given to CET through the
      years and we hope we can continue to work with you in future.

      'Thank you.

      --
      Brian R. Snape
      CET Promotions