TWIDW Alert: NHPTV New Hampshire Drops Doctor Who November 13

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2004
      New Hampshire Public TV http://www.nhptv.org sent out an e-mail to
      Doctor Who fans who support their station today breaking some sad
      news. After 24 years, Doctor Who will end its run on the NHPTV
      stations.

      From: ViewerServices programming@...
      Subject: Doctor Who ending November 13
      Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:56:49 -0400

      Dear Doctor Who fans,

      We are sorry to inform you that "Doctor Who"'s last appearance on New
      Hampshire Public Television will be Saturday, November 13th. There
      are many wonderful programs that NHPTV would like to air and
      unfortunately, we cannot maintain "Doctor Who" and introduce new
      programs to our schedule. We are very sorry to disappoint you.

      Our contract with the BBC for "Doctor Who" expires this fall and we
      will not be renewing it. The British programs are extraordinarly
      expensive and in this tough budget year, we just can't afford them
      anymore. "Doctor Who" is probably one of the most expensive British
      programs we air. We realize that NHPTV is the only public television
      in NE that is still airing "Doctor Who." NHPTV is sensitive to our
      science fiction viewers and we are looking for alternative programs,
      but have not found anything comparable yet.

      There are at least a few weeks of the good Doctor left to enjoy
      though. Six different episodes will air this month, with the last
      episode set for November 13th. Also, many of the "Doctor Who" series
      are also available on DVD now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/.

      Again, thank you for your understanding and we hope that you will
      continue to enjoy and support NHPTV programs that entertain, educate
      and enrich.

      Sincerely,

      Tamara Hindle
      Viewer Services
      New Hampshire Public Television
      ----------
      Members of the Outpost Gallifrey http://www.gallifreyone.com forum
      can read a brief history of NHPTV's role as a Doctor Who broadcaster
      over the last 24 years in the TV series section of the forum. I'll
      try to get permission to use that version or another version for
      tomorrow's This Week In Doctor Who column.

      Based on the cancellation date, the remaining Doctor Who episodes on
      NHPTV should be:
      Saturday 10/16 11PM - The Masque Of Mandragora 4
      Saturday 10/23 11PM - The Hand Of Fear 1+2 (double feature)
      Saturday 10/30 11:30PM - The Hand Of Fear 3
      Saturday 11/6 11?PM - The Hand Of Fear 4
      Saturday 11/13 - ???

      This news leaves 7 regular Doctor Who affiliates in the US:
      WYBE 35 Philadelphia, PA
      MPT Maryland
      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH
      WILL 12 Urbana, IL
      IPTV Iowa
      KUED 7 Salt Lake City, UT
      KBTC/KCKA 28,15 Tacoma/Centralia, WA

      Farewell, NHPTV. And thanks for 24 years of service to the Doctor Who
      community.

      Benjamin F. Elliott
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho