TWIDW Alert: "Doctor Who Confidential" on BBC3 Weekly After New Episodes

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2004
      Exciting news from the industry trade magazine Broadcast today.
      Thanks to the Outpost Gallifrey forum members for spotting it
      http://www.gallifreyone.com

      Right after each Doctor Who episode premieres on BBC One, BBC Three
      will run a companion series called "Doctor Who Confidential".
      Produced by Gillane Seabourne, co-produced by Julie Gardner and main
      series writer Russell T. Davies, the series will have behind the
      scenes footage, interviews with cast members, and "archives of
      previous Time Lords". Each episode will have a theme. The 13 episodes
      of 30 minutes each are being aimed at the general public, not just
      Doctor Who fans.

      BBC Three is a digital channel available in the UK on Freeview, any
      Sky Digital package, and digital cable. At least some viewers in
      Ireland should also be able to get the channel.

      Since the most recent This Week In Doctor Who went out yesterday,
      hints have been coming out about coming additional sales of the new
      series.

      Outpost Gallifrey has a report from TFI Buyers' Briefing (information
      service for TV executives) claiming that a US sale is being
      finalized. No network is named, though it is expected the US buyer of
      Doctor Who would be a cable/satellite chanel. They also report
      further confirmation that the CBC http://www.cbc.ca has bought the
      Canadian Doctor Who rights.

      On the New Zealand Doctor Who Fan Club forum
      http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com , Brad Phipps reported the following:
      "Speaking with one of the channel managers here at Sky the topic of
      Doctor Who was mentioned and my reply was the decision *could* be
      made at a meeting that takes place sometime in the next three weeks
      (I was having two conversations at once, so I didn't hear the exact
      date)."

      Brad also noted that UKTV http://www.uktv.co.nz in New Zealand was
      not interested in acquiring the old series at this time, though that
      could be reconsidered when the new series happens.

      With the Mipcom http://www.mipcom.com trade convention occuring in
      Frnace this week, many international broadcasters should now be aware
      of the new Doctor Who series. As of this writing, I have not found
      any reports of Doctor Who being specifically purchased at Mipcom.

      Benjamin F. Elliott