PHILADELPHIA alert! Doctor Who episodes *unavailable*?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2001
      This is a special report from This Week In Doctor Who ....

      Viewers of Doctor Who on WYBE 35 in Philadelphia noticed on July 21st that
      their station aired different episodes from the advertised installments.
      Instead of airing the first half of Attack Of The Cybermen (the second Colin
      Baker story), they aired the first 2 episodes of Time And The Rani (the
      first Sylvester McCoy story). WYBE had previously published a summer
      schedule with Colin Baker's episodes airing for at least the next 2 months.

      Had this been a mere case of getting the tapes mixed up, I would simply
      comment on it in the next TWIDW column. However, it seems to be something
      more interesting. Here is an e-mail that a notable Philadelphia Doctor Who
      fan got from WYBE regarding last Saturday's broadcast:

      "Good afternoon and thank you for your interest in WYBE. Doctor Who is
      certainly a program that garners a very strong response from the audience.
      We would have loved being able to air all of the episodes in order but we
      were contacted by the BBC and informed that the Colin Baker years were not
      available to us at this time. We will air those episodes as soon as the BBC
      gives us the OK. I am sorry for any confusion this caused and hope that you
      will tune in this week.
      Gail Maurer
      Program Manager
      WYBE Public Television"

      So, for some reason most or all of the Colin Baker stories are apparently
      unavailable for broadcast in the USA. It's recent, because KTEH 54 San Jose,
      CA aired a Colin episode last month as part of their 20th anniversary of
      Doctor Who night. More details when they are revealed.

      This has been a special report from This Week In Doctor Who. You may resume
      your daily lives now.

      Benjamin F. Elliott
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/