This Week In Doctor Who - March 31, 2004

  • Benjamin Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2004
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - March 31, 2004
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 7, No 13
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho
      thisweekindoctorwho-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Last week's column generated a little bit of controversy. Certainly
      the most feedback I've gotten on TWIDW since 2000. Chris Eccleston
      being the Doctor - bah, it was old news before publication time.
      WCNY Syracuse dropping Doctor Who - not a ripple. Changing the label
      of the section formerly known as "TV" to "The Original Series" -
      tidal wave.

      To recap, I noted that I was tweaking the column to be more useful
      to new readers who I hope will come along as the revival attracts
      new fans. The new series (in the UK, they use series where the US
      uses season) would get a section with the quick confirmed
      information about the show and listing what networks worldwide would
      air it as we learn who they are. Since this would result in two TV
      sections, I opted at the time to call the other one "The Original
      Series", and made some improvements to it. And I reminded readers
      that I like feedback, which I do. At the time I wrote last week's
      column, I had forgotten that the 1960s Star Trek is sometimes called
      The Original Series, and shortly after sending the column out I
      decided it was a lousy name and I'd have to find another one.

      Well, the name tested extremely badly. Readers hate it. And it seems
      to have created the impression that I don't consider the new show to
      be a continuation of the old show, an impression that a less
      polarizing name might have avoided. There's at least some sentiment
      that all TV broadcasts, new or old, should remain in the same
      section when the new show starts.

      Basically, I have a problem. It's a wonderful problem to have. I
      wish I'd always have had this problem. There's going to be a new
      Doctor Who audience. Hopefully a massive audience. An audience that,
      at least at first, is going to focus on the new episodes, naturally
      enough. BBCi http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho and Outpost
      Gallifrey http://www.gallifreyone.com both have separate sections
      for news on the new episodes versus other Doctor Who news. I
      believe, at least when the episodes are new, that this column will
      really need the same thing. A concise, spoiler free section which
      will chronicle the show's launch in countries around the world. Down
      the road, I imagine earlier seasons/series of Eccleston's Doctor
      would move to the regular episodes section while later ones would
      remain in the new section.

      But rest assured, I am not calling for Doctor Who to be considered
      two entirely different shows, and this column will not be referring
      to "The Original Series" in future. I'll be testing out names for
      both sections over the next few weeks till I decide on ones that
      carry the intent the best.

      As to the other bit of controversy, think of my story description as
      the "new and improved" version of Stones Of Blood, the one where
      they threw the characters from Androids Of Tara in and had more fun.
      That or a typo from writing in a hurry.

      Upcoming airings of the movie "Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150A.D." in
      Australia:
      All times Australian Eastern Standard Time
      Tuesday 4 May - 4:10PM Showtime Greats
      Saturday 8 May - 8:45PM Showtime Greats
      Wednesday 12 May - 7:05PM Showtime Greats
      Friday 21 May - 9:25PM Showtime Greats
      Monday 24 May - 6PM Showtime Greats

      The United States*, Canada, and probably a few other places are
      switching from Standard Time to Daylight Savings Time early Sunday
      morning. If this affects you, remember to change your clocks.

      *Except for the parts of the United States that don't switch, like
      Hawaii.

      Corrections and updates are always welcome at thisweekindoctorwho-
      owner@yahoogroups.com , bfelliott@... , TWIDW on AOL IM ,
      and thebfe on Yahoo Messenger. Here are the listings:

      THE UPCOMING REVIVAL:

      Doctor: Christopher Eccleston
      Written by: Russell T. Davies (8 episodes), Steven Moffatt (2
      episodes), Paul Cornell (1 episode), Rob Shearman (1 episode), Mark
      Gatiss (1 episode)
      Original Aspect Ratio - 16:9
      Premieres: 2005 (Date TBA)
      Total episodes for first series: 13
      45 minute episodes

      RADIO/INTERNET:

      BBCi http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shalka
      "The Scream Of The Shalka" - Richard E. Grant is The Doctor in a
      fully animated 6 episode story. The Shalka prepare to conquer the
      Earth from below. Unfortunately for them, the Doctor is back.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/realtime
      "Real Time" - starring Colin Baker and the Cybermen. 6 episode
      illustrated audio tale. The 6th Doctor and Evelyn Smythe research a
      temple that has been yanking scientists out of time. The secrets of
      the temple threaten the future and past of two species. Viewer
      discretion advised for the illustrations of episodes 4 through 6.

      American Who http://www.americanwho.net
      Next new episode April 12 at 5AM Eastern Daylight Time. Scheduled
      guest - Barry Letts, producer from 1970 to 1974.
      http://archives.warpradio.com/btr/SciFi/032905.mp3
      Arnold T. Blumberg discusses the casting of Christopher Eccleston as
      The Doctor.
      http://archives.warpradio.com/btr/SciFi/031505.mp3
      Charles Martin discusses the writers for the new series.
      http://archives.warpradio.com/btr/SciFi/030105.mp3
      Frazer Hines (Jamie McCrimmon in the 2nd Doctor stories) remembers
      Patrick Troughton.
      http://archives.warpradio.com/btr/SciFi/021605.mp3
      Joey interviews India Fisher (Charley in the Big Finish 8th Doctor
      audio dramas), recorded at the 2003 Chicago TARDIS convention.

      Sci-Fi Overdrive http://www.scifioverdrive.com
      on Business Talk Network http://www.businesstalkradio.net
      Late Sun/Early Mon 2-6AM EDT (11PM-3AM PDT, 7-11AM BST, 4-8PM AEST)
      Live Stream http://www.warpradio.com/popTuner.asp?id=14085
      Hour 1 - Sci-Fi News & Comment. Hour 2 - an examination of the
      graphic horror novel The Black Forest, along with a special premiere
      of an audio adaptation of the story. Hour 3 - Phillip Segal
      (producer of the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie) is now the Vice-President
      of Programming for Tribune Entertainment. He discusses the shows
      from Tribune that he's been involved with - Andromeda, Mutant X,
      Beastmaster, and the 5th season of Earth: Final Conflict. Hour 4 -
      Alan Lutton discusses the upcoming Gaylaxicon event in San Diego, CA
      and gay/lesbian science fiction in general.

      THE FIRST 40 YEARS:

      UK:

      UKTV Gold http://www.ukgold.tv http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb
      Saturday 7-9AM BST "The Hand Of Fear" movie
      Series 14, Episodes 5 through 8. Doctor: Tom Baker. Sarah is
      possessed by a crystalline hand that seeks to rebuild its body. The
      Doctor must stop the hand from wreaking havoc. The Nuclear Power
      station in this story (Nunton) was originally going to be called
      Nuton, the fictitious power station that felt the claws of Axos
      several years earlier.
      Sunday 7-9AM BST "The Deadly Assassin" movie
      Series 14, Episodes 9 through 12. Doctor: Tom Baker. A distress call
      lures the Doctor back to Gallifrey, where the Time Lords are
      preparing to see one President retire and a new one be named. A dark
      force is out to kill the President, blame the Doctor, and bring
      Gallifrey into chaos.
      Due to Easter Weekend and a marathon of Carry On movies, Doctor Who
      will not be seen on UKTV Gold or UKTV Gold + 1 on 10 and 11 April.
      Doctor Who will return April 17. Alas, UKTV Gold is skipping The
      Face Of Evil, the story that introduces Louise Jameson as Leela. To
      the best of my knowledge, The Face Of Evil features neither Daleks
      nor a script by Terry Nation, so this story's omission cannot be
      connected to that issue.

      UKTV Gold + 1
      Saturday 8-10AM BST "The Hand Of Fear" movie
      Sunday 8-10AM BST "The Deadly Assassin" movie

      AUSTRALIA:

      ABC http://www.varos.net/drwho/ http://www.abc.net.au/tv
      Thursday 6:05PM "Doctor Who and the Silurians" ep 6 of 7
      Monday 6:06PM "Doctor Who and the Silurians" ep 7 of 7
      Series 7, Episodes 10 through 11. Doctor: Jon Pertwee. Black & White
      version. The plague unleashed by the Silurians threatens to wipe out
      humanity. The Doctor does not believe this is grounds for ending
      diplomatic efforts with the Silurians.
      Tuesday 6:04PM "The Ambassadors Of Death" ep 1 of 7
      Wednesday 6:04PM "The Ambassadors Of Death" ep 2 of 7
      Series 7, Episodes 12 through 13. Doctor: Jon Pertwee. Black & White
      version, I think. Astronauts lost in space for months are finally
      returning to Earth. But something is wrong with the mission.
      Sabotage is disrupting the mission. And it seems to have ties to
      high places.

      CANADA/USA:

      BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca
      7 Days A Week 1 + 3:30AM EST (10PM + 12:30AM PST) - 2 episodes
      weekdays, full stories weekends) (EDT and PDT from Sunday)
      Wednesday "Kinda" pts 3+4 of 4
      Series 19, Episodes 11 through 12. Doctor: Peter Davison. The Doctor
      must play the fool to learn the secrets of the Kinda people and stop
      the Mara.
      Thursday "The Visitation" pts 1+2 of 4
      Friday "The Visitation" pts 3+4 of 4
      Series 19, Episodes 13 through 16. Doctor: Peter Davison. Aliens
      crash land on Earth in the year 1664. Taking over a small English
      village, they decide to expand their horizons and conquer the planet.
      Saturday "The Kings Demons" both pts
      Series 20, Episodes 21 through 22. Doctor: Peter Davison. The 5th
      Doctor and company are proclaimed as beloved Demons by King John,
      thereby ensuring that all the good and bad guys around will try to
      kill them in short order. Meanwhile, King John is also in an
      entirely different part of England signing the Magna Carta. How can
      the King be in two places at once?
      Sun "Warriors Of The Deep" all 4 pts
      Series 21, Episodes 1 through 4. Doctor: Peter Davison. The
      Silurians and Sea Devils, cruelly shunned by society just because
      they tried to wipe out humanity on two separate occasions, come back
      for revenge.
      Monday "Black Orchid" both pts
      Series 19, Episodes 17 through 18. Doctor: Peter Davison. A cricket
      match, a dinner party, and a murder throws the TARDIS crew into a
      tale reminiscent of an Agatha Christie story.
      Tuesday "Timeflight" pts 1+2 of 4
      Series 19, Episodes 23 through 24. Doctor: Peter Davison. Shocked by
      the events in Earthshock (which BBC Kids couldn't buy due to a
      contract problem), the TARDIS crew returns to Earth, where the theft
      of Concordes causes them to get involved.

      NHPTV New Hampshire http://www.nhptv.org
      analog 11, 49, 52
      digital 11-2 (57-2), 49-2 (48-2), 52-2 (49-2)
      Boston DirecTV 11,955
      Boston Dish 11,8781
      Saturday 11PM EST "Pyramids Of Mars" pt 4 of 4
      Series 13, Episode 12. Doctor: Tom Baker. Sutekh takes mental
      control of the Doctor as his endgame approaches.

      WYBE Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org
      analog 35
      digital 35-1 (34-1)
      Philadelphia DirecTV 35,909
      Philadelphia Dish 35,8162
      Saturday 11PM EST "The Caves Of Androzani" pts 3+4 of 4
      Series 21, Episodes 21 through 22. Doctor: Peter Davison. The 5th
      Doctor's era ends as he races against time to save Peri from death
      from Spectrox Toxaemia.

      MPT Maryland http://www.mpt.org
      analog 22, 67, 31, 28, 62, 36
      digital 22-2 (42-2), 67-2 (29-2), 31-2 (44-2), 28-2 (56-2), 28, 54
      DC/Hagerstown, Baltimore DirecTV 22,980
      Baltimore Dish 22,8736
      Late Saturday Mid EST "The War Games" movie, pt 1 of 2
      Series 6, Episodes 35 through 39. Doctor: Pat Troughton. Soldiers
      from different eras fight, each group unaware the presence of the
      others.

      WCET Cincinnati, OH http://cetconnect.org
      analog 48
      digital 48-2 (34-2)
      Cincinnati DirecTV 48,909
      Cincinnati Dish 48,8356
      Saturday 11PM EST "Survival" pts 1+2 of 3
      Series 26, Episodes 12 through 13. Doctor: Sylvester McCoy. Ace
      returns to her hometown of Perivale, where old friends are
      disappearing, and a cat is hissing at the populace. The start of the
      final story of the original TV series.

      WILL Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu
      analog 12
      digital 9 - not on air
      Champaign Dish 12,7407
      Saturday 11:40PM CST "Castrovalva" pt 1 of 4
      Series 19, Episode 1. Doctor: Peter Davison. The new 5th Doctor,
      Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan flee in the TARDIS, as the Master continues
      to pursue and set traps.

      IPTV Iowa http://www.sffn.com/ http://www.iptv.org
      analog 11, 12, 21, 24, 27, 32, 32, 36, 36
      digital 11 (50), 45, 25, 18, 28, 33, 35, 35, 34 - not on air
      Des Moines DirecTV 11,474
      Des Moines Dish 11,9116
      Cedar Rapids Dish 12,9161
      Omaha Dish 32,9146
      Saturday 11:35PM CST "The Stones Of Blood" pts 3+4 of 4
      Series 16, Episodes 11 through 12. Doctor: Tom Baker. Vivian Fey's
      true identity is revealed, while Romana and the Doctor get a lesson
      in the nature of Hyperspace.

      KBDI Denver, CO http://www.kbdi.org
      analog 12
      digital 12-1 (38-1)
      Denver DirecTV 12,910
      Denver Dish 12,8211
      Late Friday 12:30AM MST "The Claws Of Axos" all 4 eps
      Series 8, Episodes 11 through 14. Doctor: Jon Pertwee. We come in
      peace.
      Saturday 11PM MST "Colony In Space" eps 1+2 of 6
      Series 8, Episodes 15 through 16. Doctor: Jon Pertwee. Shoot to kill.

      KUED/KUEW-DT/KUES-DT Salt Lake City/St. George/Richfield, UT
      http://www.kued.org
      analog 7
      digital 7-1 (42-1), 18-1 (18-1), 19-1 (19-1)
      Salt Lake City DirecTV 7,982
      Salt Lake City Dish 7,8536
      Saturday 11:30PM MST "Arc Of Infinity" pt 3 of 4
      Series 20, Episode 3. Doctor: Peter Davison. The creature from the
      alternate dimension seems strangely unworried that the Doctor could
      wind up dead. Is it possible that executing the 5th Doctor
      *wouldn't* stop this being's emergence into our universe?

      KBTC/KCKA Tacoma/Centralia, WA http://www.kbtc.org
      analog 28,15
      digital 28-1 (27-1), 15-1 (19-1)
      Seattle DirecTV 28,910
      Seattle Dish 28,8620
      Saturday 7PM + 12:30AM PST "The Dominators" eps 3+4 of 5
      Series 6, Episodes 3 through 4. Doctor: Pat Troughton. Can a race of
      pacifists be galvanized for war to save them from conquest by evil
      Dominators?

      KTEH/KCAH San Jose/Watsonville, CA http://www.kteh.org
      analog 54,25
      digital 50,58 - not on air
      San Francisco DirecTV 54,903
      San Francisco Dish 54,8234
      Monterey Dish 25,9190
      Late Saturday 1:37AM PST "Interview With Patrick Troughton" 1987
      special
      KTEH interviewed Patrick Troughton, the 2nd Doctor, during a visit
      he made to the US.

      US Sci-Fi Channel http://www.scifi.com
      Late Sunday April 11 - "Doctor Who" 1996 TV Movie
      3AM EDT East Feed, 3AM PDT West Feed

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2004.