This Week In Doctor Who - June 29, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Goodbye to Doctor Who in Florida ...

      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - June 29, 2001
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 4, No 26
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho/
      thisweekindoctorwho-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      We begin the column this week with sad news. WUSF 16 Tampa, FL
      http://www.wusftv.usf.edu/ will be discontinuing its Doctor Who broadcasts
      effective July 21st. WUSF was the last station in Florida currently airing
      Doctor Who episodes. Florida Doctor Who fandom has spawned several
      well-known Doctor Who advocates over the years, including TJ Lubinsky
      (National Doctor Who Night), Charles Martin, Dan Harris (Sci-Fi Sea
      Cruises), Joey Reynolds (Interstellar Transmissions radio show), and others.
      WUSF has shown little interest in Doctor Who for some time, but they are
      completing the run of the series before pulling it. The upcoming schedule:

      June 30 11:30PM - Battlefield episode 4 of 4
      July 7 11:30PM - Ghostlight episodes 1,2,+3 of 3
      July 14 11:30PM - The Curse Of Fenric episodes 1,2,3,+4 of 4
      July 21 11:30PM - Survival episodes 1,2,+3 of 3

      This Week In Doctor Who has received a statement from Joey Reynolds giving
      his thoughts on the departure of the last (for now, anyway) Florida Doctor
      Who station. If any of the other people who have been involved over the
      years in the story of Doctor Who in Florida wish to give their own thoughts,
      send them in, and I will gladly include them over the next few weeks.

      "Hello, Tampa "Who" fans!
      "When I first arrived in Tampa in 1994, I asked Chris Warner, then
      membership director at WUSF-TV in Tampa if he needed help with fund-raising
      efforts. I told him my forte' was science fiction. He said he needed the
      help in bringing back "Doctor Who" to the Tampa market, as WUSF bought the
      rights to the Tom Baker era for broadcast in January 1995, and also buying
      the 10th and 20th anniversary stories for a pledge night in November 1994 to
      raise the funds. Thanks to my help (and Charles Martin's) in getting the
      word out, we were successful!

      "Since then, WUSF has run all the Doctors (Tom Baker thrice!) in either
      episode or movie format. And now, after a 7 year run of the series, they've
      decided to take it off the air.

      "Chris Warner is no longer involved with WUSF, having gone (last time I
      checked) to greener pastures with Infinite Outsource, which assists PBS
      stations with resources to improve fundraising efforts. At the end of the
      first "Doctor Who" night in November, 1994, he told me that he would be
      surprised that "Doctor Who" would last on WUSF past 1999. It did- and now,
      with the arrival of the series on DVD, there's no need for the repeats on
      WUSF-or broadcast television in general. We have almost all the stories
      available for syndication on home video, and plenty of tapes of the other
      stories to circulate.

      "Friends, instead of calling WUSF-TV in complaint, thank them for carrying
      "Doctor Who" at a time when WEDU would NEVER think of touching the show
      again. I think and feel now that with the current university administration,
      WUSF will return to more applicable PBS fare. I also think and feel that
      WUSF will no longer exist as an over the air PBS station past 2003. Governor
      Bush's new Board of Regents will insist on that- WUSF is owned by the
      University of South Florida (for those outside of Florida), and will serve
      more as a tool for education and not for Public Broadcasting. I'm sure
      privately owned WEDU will be pleased- no more competition.

      "Remember now, it's your purchase of the show on VHS or DVD that will keep
      the interest going for new releases of the series, and BBCWA will comply. It
      will also pay for the residuals for all the actors in the series.

      "Thanks, WUSF! You've done us well. - Joey Reynolds"

      The departure of WUSF will leave 15 public TV stations/networks airing
      Doctor Who in the USA, for the benefit of people who like statistics. UK
      Gold continues airing Doctor Who in the UK, BBC Prime airs Doctor Who across
      Europe, Africa, and a bit of Asia, while UKTV in Australia airs Doctor Who
      in, well, Australia. Prime TV should resume airing the show in New Zealand
      in a few months. And the Sci-Fi Channel in the US will air the Paul McGann
      movie on July 15th.

      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org/ is upgrading Doctor Who's start
      time from 11:30PM to 11PM starting Saturday, July 7th. Still 2 episodes a
      week. Evidently Robot Wars performed below expectations and Doctor Who is
      swapping places with the fun robot series from Britain.

      The BBC's Doctor Who website http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ , which is
      airing the unsold pilot for a Doctor Who radio series (Death Comes To Time)
      beginning July 13, has recently begun presenting photonovels of episodes of
      missing stories. Photos, telesnaps, video clips, and anything else they have
      to recreate the episodes. So far, 1 episode has gone up as a photonovel each
      Friday, with previous episodes archived. At the request of several readers,
      This Week is adding the photonovels to the column's coverage of Doctor Who
      broadcasts on a trial basis.

      Additions and corrections are welcome at bfelliott@... ,
      bfelliott@... , bfelliott3 on AOL IM , and thebfe on Yahoo!
      Messenger. And now, the listings:

      INTERNET:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/
      "Fury From The Deep" ep 4 of 6 (photonovel format)
      Episodes 1,2,+3 are still online.
      "Death Comes To Time" radio pilot - coming July 13th

      http://www.scifiradioguy.com/
      "Interstellar Transmissions" sci-fi news/chat show
      No new episode this week. Next edition July 8. To hear archives of earlier
      episodes, follow the directions on Joey's website.

      TV:

      UK:

      UK Gold http://www.sceneone.co.uk/s1/tv/listings
      Sun 8:20-10AM BST "Underworld" movie
      "So, these guys called ‘Time Lords' popped by our planet one day. And we
      asked them for some of their nifty gadgets. And we used them to destroy our
      planet." "And this tells you?" "It's the Time Lords' fault! They are fully
      responsible! All they had to do was let us kill them and we wouldn't have
      gotten that technology that killed ourselves!" "How modern of you? So what
      exactly do you plan to do?" "Force a Time Lord to help us search for the
      race bank that can recreate our species. That tall one in the floppy hat
      with the scarf seems like a good candidate. After all, it's the fault of his
      ancestors that they selfishly chose to live." "So, not only do you blame the
      Time Lords, but you're going to play a guilt trip on someone who wasn't even
      alive back then?" "You make it sound like he isn't responsible for our pain
      and suffering, our continual regenerating, our never-ending life." "Well,
      you could just refuse to regenerate and shuffle off this mortal coil."
      "Species-ist! Species-ist! I'm going to sue your entire race, any other
      races on your planet, and any spin-off branches that may have gone to other
      parts of the galaxy!" "Are you sure Minyan is the best name for your race?
      Maybe Minion would be more appropriate. Sheesh."

      EUROPE/AFRICA/ASIA:

      BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com/
      Late Fri 1AM*, Sat 3:30PM, Sun 11:30AM CET "Enlightenment" ep 3 of 4
      Late Thu 12:30AM CET "Enlightenment" ep 4 of 4
      *Not seen in all regions. Turlough discovers there is something worse than
      Captain Mariner's ship - Captain Wrack's ship.

      AUSTRALIA:

      UKTV Australia http://www.varos.com/drwho/uktv/ http://www.uktv.com.au/
      Sun 7AM, Late Sun 1AM AEST "The Stones Of Blood" all 4 eps
      The third segment of the Key To Time brings the Doctor and Romana to Earth.
      It also brings several bloodthirsty stones, justice machines, and a very old
      criminal.
      Mon 11:30PM AEST "Nightmare Of Eden" ep 4 of 4
      The drug runners are revealed. But they've set loose a bunch of furry
      monsters on the ship, distracting the crew by killing the passengers.
      Tue-Fri 11:30PM AEST "The Horns Of Nimon" eps 1 - 4 of 4
      Soldeed. Never underestimate the villain who appears to be over-the-top. It
      could just be a front to lull you into a false sense of security before he
      uses his staff on you and feeds you to the Nimon.

      USA:

      SCI-FI Channel http://www.scifi.com/
      July 15th - Doctor Who (1996), starring Paul McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, and
      Eric Roberts

      NHPTV New Hampshire 11,49,52 http://www.nhptv.org/
      Late Sat 12:30AM EDT "The Armageddon Factor" eps 5+6 of 6
      Late start due to special length of the last episode of American High. The
      4th Doctor discovers a new enemy in his battle against the Shadow - K-9!
      Late Thu Mid EDT "Destiny Of The Daleks" eps 1+2 of 4
      On the planet Skaro, the Daleks and the Movellans search for the body of the
      man that could turn the tide of a war. And it's not Nyder.

      WQED/WQEX 13,16 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org/
      Sat 11:30PM EDT "Nightmare Of Eden" eps 3+4 of 4
      See UKTV Australia for details.

      WYBE 35 Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org/
      Sat 4AM+5:30PM EDT "The Caves Of Androzani" eps 1+2 of 4
      Sat 11PM EDT "The Caves Of Androzani" eps 3+4 of 4
      Peter Davison's era ends with a bang. Mistaken for gun runners, the Doctor
      and Peri find themselves on the bad sides of the military, the corrupt
      President, real gun runners, and a disfigured madman. Meanwhile, it seems
      that they are dying. The 5th Doctor's goodbye, on WYBE.

      MPT Maryland 22,28,31,36,62,67 http://www.mpt.org/
      Late Sat Mid EDT "The Web Planet" movie (The Web Planet, The Zarbi, Escape
      To Danger, Crater Of Needles, Invasion, The Centre)
      A very experimental story from 1965. A completely alien culture. A parasitic
      life form taking control. The secrets of the Web Planet confound the Doctor,
      Ian, Barbara, and Vicki.

      WUSF 16 Tampa, FL http://www.wusftv.usf.edu/
      Sat 11:30PM EDT "Battlefield" ep 4 of 4
      The Brigadier takes on the Destroyer in one final crusade to protect the
      Earth from a monster, an almost certain suicide mission. Perhaps he will
      have more success than Doctor Who fans have had in the past 2 years or so in
      convincing WUSF to pledge the show. The remaining 3 Sylvester McCoy stories
      will air complete in July to finish the WUSF contract with the series.

      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org/
      Sat 11:30PM EDT "The Stones Of Blood" eps 2+3 of 4
      Start time moves to 11PM next Saturday (July 7.) See UKTV Australia for
      story details.

      WYIN 56 Gary, IN (Chicago, IL) http://www.wyin.org/
      Sat 10PM CDT "The Creature From The Pit" eps 3+4 of 4
      Lady Adrasta's evil schemes are revealed. But it may already be too late to
      save the day. Geoffrey Balydon gives a star performance as Organon.

      WILL 12 Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu/
      Sat 11:35PM CDT "The Android Invasion" ep 1 of 4
      The 4th Doctor and Sarah finally get to Earth and contact U*N*I*T. But the
      Brigadier is in Geneva and everyone there wants to kill them.

      TPT St. Paul, MN http://www.tpt.org/
      analog KTCA 2, digital KTCI-DT 16-5 (2-5)
      Sat 11:30PM, Sun 5:30AM CDT "The Androids Of Tara" ep 4 of 4
      A swordfight, a swim in the lake, dopplegangers, and a classic villain
      feature in the final installment of the search for the 4th segment of the
      Key To Time.

      IPTV Iowa 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36 http://www.sffn.com/ http://www.iptv.org/
      Pre-empted by the Gormenghast mini-series. Returns next week.

      PPTV North Dakota 2,3,4,6,9,13,19 http://www.pptv.org/
      Fri 10:30PM CDT (9:30PM MDT) "Destiny Of The Daleks" ep 4 of 4
      The Movellans and the Daleks are perfectly willing to destroy each other,
      but the Doctor fears that one group might survive and nab Davros. So he's
      got to defeat both of them, while keeping them from facing each other.

      KERA 13 Dallas, TX http://www.kera.org/
      Late Fri Mid CDT "Doctor Who and the Silurians" eps 5+6 of 7
      Color-restored version. The 3rd Doctor's efforts to bring peace between
      humans and Silurians are appreciated by the Old Silurian, but the Young
      Silurian and the humans in general do not seem to be so eager to listen to
      the Doctor.

      KBDI/K32EO 12,32 Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org/
      Late Fri 12:30AM MDT "Warriors' Gate" eps 1+2 of 4
      Sat 11PM MDT "Warriors' Gate" eps 3+4 of 4
      The E-Space trilogy concludes, as the 4th Doctor, Romana, K-9, and Adric
      finally find a way to the main universe. But a mystery involving a race of
      time sensitives in the past, present, and future gets in the way, and could
      destroy the gateway itself.

      KUED Salt Lake City, UT http://www.kued.org/
      Sat 11PM, Late Sat 12:30AM MDT "The Invisible Enemy" ep 2 of 4
      Leela and Lowe race the Doctor to the Bi-Al Foundation for treatment of the
      alien virus in his brain. K-9 is introduced in this episode.

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Gray's River, WA
      http://www.kbtc.org/
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PDT "The Armageddon Factor" eps 1+2 of 6
      Who knows what evil lurks at the hearts of the planets Atrios and Zeos? The
      Shadow knows!

      KTEH 54 San Jose, CA http://www.kteh.org/
      Sun 11PM PDT "Spearhead From Space" eps 1+2 of 4
      Now 2 episodes a week. Will air at 11:30PM on the 8th, 15th, and 22nd, due
      to double airings of Robot Wars. In the first color episodes, a partially
      amnesiac version of the Doctor (Jon Pertwee) arrives in England while
      U*N*I*T is trying to investigate a series of meteor landings. With Nicholas
      Courtney as the Brigadier and Caroline John as Liz Shaw.
      Sun 11:51PM PDT "Who Is The Doctor?" music video
      Time approximate after a "PBS - Stay Curious" advertisement. Jon Pertwee
      sings his infamous single, with video clips from his stories showing on the
      screen.
      Late Sun Mid PDT "Interview With Jon Pertwee"
      KTEH's interview with Jon Pertwee, filmed in the 1980s.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2001.