This is largely a test message, to make sure the group is working properly.
As of this writing, I recognize all the names in the members section, so I
don't need to go into a long description about the birth of the This Week
column in 1998, the patience of the readers during the early months, the
format, etc. By the time I'd expect to have a large number of new readers
who might want that information, the main TWIDW site should be up, and will
handle those details.
What this group will do:
1) Provide instantaneous distribution of the This Week In Doctor Who column
when it goes out Friday mornings (Eastern US Time)
2) Carry announcements of surprise schedule changes, big developments, etc.
3) Allow for reader polls on issues
4) Anyone can sign up for the group
What this group will not do:
1) Cover Doctor Who fandom in general. I don't have the resources to try
duplicating the Doctor Who Alliance (http://www.drwhoalliance.com/
would I wish to try.
2) Be a discussion group. I intend to launch a discussion group in a few
months, as I think a place to discuss Doctor Who on TV in the past, present,
and future would be very useful. But this group will be strictly read-only,
for info purposes.
3) Become the sole distribution point for the column. This Week In Doctor
Who will still go out to rec.arts.drwho , Outpost Gallifrey, Nitro-9, The
Wolves Of Fenric, and the Varos website. The column began in the
rec.arts.drwho newsgroup, while Shaun, Siobahn, Roger, and Jason have done a
great deal to help nurture it by including it on their sites. I look forward
to continuing to provide This Week wherever it will be useful.
If there are any questions or concerns, please contact me at
. And look for the next issue of
This Week tomorrow morning.
Benjamin F. Elliott
This Week In Doctor Who