This Week In Doctor Who - April 9, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2003
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - April 9, 2003
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 6, No 15

      The trailer for the new version of "Shada" is now online. It runs a minute
      or so, with clips from the story, illustrated by Lee Sullivan. The trailer
      plays in an endless loop, well endless until you leave the webpage. There is
      a high qualiy and a low quality version of the trailer available, depending
      on the ability of your browser. The visuals are the same, but the sound
      quality is better on the high quality version if your computer can handle
      it. The direct links are:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shada/high.shtml - high quality audio
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shada/index.shtml - low quality audio

      "Shada", a remake of the Douglas Adams story that wasn't finished in 1979,
      will be serialized on the BBC's Doctor Who website in the same way that
      Death Comes To Time and Real Time were. The new version features Paul McGann
      as The Doctor, Lalla Ward as Romana, John Leeson as K9, and Sean Biggerstaff
      as Chris Parsons. The first segment of Shada will go online on Friday 2 May.

      Iowa Public TV http://www.iptv.org/ issued a statement last weekend
      regarding the lack of Genesis Of The Daleks on their station. Announcer Mike
      Frisbee reportedly stated: "We planned to whack you with the Daleks tonight,
      but it appears the estate of Terry Nation has the Beeb tied up in court
      which prevents any broadcasts of Dalek do's and don'ts until the money issue
      is settled."

      This Week In Doctor Who has no information on this situation besides IPTV's
      statement. Whatever the situation - it does not seem to be affecting Canada,
      where BBC Kids will air Destiny Of The Daleks on 11 and 14 April. Maryland
      Public TV has currently scheduled Resurrection Of The Daleks to air late
      Saturday April 25 at Midnight, though they are skipping The Five Doctors and

      WQED/WQEX 13/16 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org/ has been pulling
      scheduled Doctor Who broadcasts at the last minute. I do not know if Doctor
      Who will continue to air on WQED. I did hear from a contact last year that
      Doctor Who had been performing disastrously on WQED/WQEX in pledge drives.
      Take your worst case scenario and you're still too optimistic. Last I knew,
      WQED did have the rights to all the Peter Davison episodes, though stations
      usually have to use their rights in a certain amount of time or they expire.
      WQED's website still has an episode scheduled for Late Saturday April 19 at
      Midnight, though tvguide.com and zap2it.com have the spot listed as part of
      a members choice night. If I hear any information regarding WQED's current
      status regarding Doctor Who, I'll announce it in next week's column. In the
      meantime, viewers who live somewhat close to the Maryland border might want
      to use an antenna on the TV and see if you can pull in WGPT 36 Oakland, MD,
      one of the Maryland Public TV transmitters - where Doctor Who airs in movie
      format late Saturdays at Midnight.

      Over in the UK, UK Gold will have "Dalek Days" on the May Bank Holidays. 10
      of the 11 complete Dalek stories will air - 5 stories per Bank Holiday. Only
      "The Chase" is being skipped. It is too soon to be sure how much of the
      marathons will air on UK Gold 2 or UK Gold +1. These will be UK Gold's
      existing prints of stories, and not remastered versions. Here's the lineup:

      Monday 5 May
      7:20AM BST "The Dead Planet" aka "The Daleks" aka "The Mutants"
      10:45AM BST "The Dalek Invasion Of Earth"
      1:35PM BST "The Day Of The Daleks"
      3:25PM BST "Planet Of The Daleks"
      6:05PM BST "Death To The Daleks"

      Monday 26 May
      9:50AM BST "Genesis Of The Daleks"
      12:35PM BST "Destiny Of The Daleks"
      2:30PM BST "Resurrection Of The Daleks"
      4:20PM BST "Revelation Of The Daleks"
      6:10PM BST "Remembrance Of The Daleks"

      The UK Sci-Fi Channel http://www.uk.scifi.com/ will be airing the 1996
      Doctor Who TV Movie in May. Alas, apparently Sci-Fi and UK Gold don't
      co-ordinate their schedules - "Doctor Who" airs on 5 May from 7:20 to 9PM,
      overlapping with Death To The Daleks. Months and months with no Doctor Who
      on Mondays in Britain, and then two channels air it at the same time. If you
      want to watch both this movie and the UK Gold marathons, your best bet is to
      catch the April showing on the 20th (Easter) at 1:10PM, immediately
      following a broadcast of the documentary "Dalekmania", which begins at Noon
      that day.

      The South African Sci-Fi Channel http://www.uk.scifi.com/ - yes, the same
      website - will air both the 1996 Doctor Who movie and a new Doctor Who
      special in May. The special is part of a series profiling UK Science fiction
      shows called "SF:UK". Here's the lineup:
      Saturday 3 May 4:25PM "SF:UK - Trips Through Time And Space" (first airing?)
      Wednesday 21 May 8PM "Doctor Who" 1996 TV Movie
      Wednesday 21 May 9:25PM "SF:UK - Trips Through Time And Space"
      Saturday 24 May 6:35PM "Doctor Who" 1996 TV Movie

      BBC Radio 7 listeners - my apologies for the note in last week's column. I
      meant to say that "Slipback" had aired on 29 and 30 March. I did not intend
      to say that BBC Radio 7 had aired "Shada" - but if you were paying
      attention, I unfortunately did spell Slipback as S-H-A-D-A. My apologies. As
      far as anyone knows, neither the new version of Shada nor the incomplete Tom
      Baker version from the 1979/1980 series are going to air on BBC Radio 7.

      While I try to keep the column up to date, I do sometimes miss late changes
      to schedules. If you see TWIDW's information getting out of synch with what
      your local station is actually airing, let me know ASAP.

      Additions and corrections are welcome at
      thisweekindoctorwho-owner@yahoogroups.com , bfelliott@... ,
      bfelliott3 on AOL IM, or thebfe on Yahoo Messenger. And now, the listings:

      BBC Radio 7 http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/
      Digital radio & TV in UK, live realplayer link on website for worldwide use
      Sat 6PM+ Mid BST (7PM+1AM CET, 1+7PM EDT, 10AM+4PM PDT, Sun 3+9AM AEST) "The
      Paradise Of Death" pt 3 of 5
      Sun 6PM+Mid BST (7PM+1AM CET, 1+7PM EDT, 10AM+4PM PDT, Mon 3+9AM AEST) "The
      Paradise Of Death" pt 4 of 5

      Fri 7PM EDT "Interstellar Transmissions"
      WWNN AM1470 Pompano Beach/Boca Raton, FL (Miami/West Palm Beach, FL)
      Joey Reynolds' weekly radio show for sci-fi news and interviews, which can
      be heard online worldwide. Doctor Who news usually discussed during the

      Business Talk Radio Network http://www.businesstalkradio.net/
      Late Sun/Early Mon 2-6AM EDT (11PM-3AM PDT, 7-11AM BST, 4-8PM AEST ) "Sci-Fi
      Overdrive" http://www.scifioverdrive.com/ station list on the scifioverdrive
      http://www.businesstalkradio.net/weekday_host/Archives/sfo.shtml - archives
      in MP3 format
      Live audio link at Business Talk website - requires Windows Media Player.
      National version of Interstellar Transmissions, though probably easiest to
      hear in timezones outside the USA.

      UK Gold http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb
      Late Fri 12:40-3:15AM, Sat 6:30-9AM BST "Planet Of The Daleks" movie
      Late Sat 1-3:50AM, Sun 6-9AM BST "The Green Death" movie

      UK Gold + 1
      Late Fri 1:40-4:15AM BST "Planet Of The Daleks" movie
      Late Sat 2-4:50AM BST "The Green Death" movie

      Homechoice http://www.homechoice.co.uk
      Video On Demand. Now playing:
      "Robot" all 4 pts
      "The Ark In Space" all 4 pts
      "The Sontaran Experiment" both pts

      BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca
      Weeknights 2 episodes Midnight + 4AM EDT (9PM + 1AM PDT)
      Saturday/Sunday complete stories Midnight + 3:30AM EDT (9PM + 12:30AM PDT)
      Wed "The Armageddon Factor" pts 3+4 of 6
      Thu "The Armageddon Factor" pts 5+6 of 6
      Fri "Destiny Of The Daleks" pts 1+2 of 4
      Sat "Meglos" all 4 pts
      Sun "Full Circle" all 4 pts
      Mon "Destiny Of The Daleks" pts 3+4 of 4
      Tue "City Of Death" pts 1+2 of 4

      Channel numbers in brackets ( ) indicate a digital station that is not on
      the air. Low power stations do not currently have digital assignments.

      NHPTV New Hampshire http://www.nhptv.org
      analog 11,49,52
      digital 57,48,(49) - not on digital schedule yet
      Boston Dish Local 8781,11
      Sat 11PM EDT "Paradise Towers" pt 2(?) of 4
      I am operating under the assumption that NHPTV aired part 1 twice last week.
      If both parts 1+2 aired last week, then this will be part 3.

      WCNY/W59AU Syracuse/Utica, NY http://www.wcny.org
      analog 24,59
      digital 25-1
      Sun 5:30PM EDT "The Seeds Of Doom" pt 3 of 6

      WSKG Binghamton, NY http://www.wskg.com
      analog 46
      digital (42) - under construction
      Pre-empted by auction. Next episode airs April 19.

      WQED/WQEX Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org
      analog 13,16
      digital 38-1,(26)
      Pittsburgh DirecTV Local 13,947
      Pittsburgh Dish Local 8136,13
      Pre-empted this week. Currently scheduled to return April 19 according to
      the WQED website.

      WYBE Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org
      analog 35
      digital (34) - coming 2003
      Philadelphia DirecTV Local 35,909
      Philadelphia Dish Local 8162,35
      Sat 11PM EDT "Nightmare Of Eden" pt 4 of 4
      Sat 11:30PM EDT "The Horns Of Nimon" pt 1 of 4

      MPT Maryland http://www.mpt.org
      analog 22,67,28,31,62,36
      digital 42,(29),(62),(44),(28),(56) - simulcast of analog begins in 2003
      DC/Hagerstown & Baltimore DirecTV Local 22,980
      Late Sat Mid EDT "Warriors From The Deep" movie
      MPT has skipped The Five Doctors. Reason unknown.

      WCET Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org
      analog 48
      digital 34-1
      Cincinnati DirecTV Local 48,909
      Cincinnati Dish Local 8356,48
      Sat 11PM EDT "The Twin Dilemma" pts 1+2 of 4

      WILL Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu
      analog 12
      digital (33) - under construction
      Sat 11:40PM CDT "The Armageddon Factor" pt 4 of 6

      IPTV Iowa http://www.sffn.com http://www.iptv.org
      analog 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36,36
      digital 50-1,(45),(25),(18),(28),(33),(35),(35),(34)
      Des Moines Dish Local 9116,11
      Omaha, NE Dish Local 9146,32
      Cedar Rapids Dish Local 9161,12
      Sat 11:35PM CDT "Revenge Of The Cybermen" pts 3+4 of 4

      KERA/K44FI Dallas/Wichita Falls, TX http://www.kera.org
      analog 13,44
      digital 14-1
      Dallas DirecTV Local 13,889
      Dallas Dish Local 8406,13
      Late Fri 12:30AM CDT "??"
      Doctor Who is supposed to be back on this night in this slot, with either
      Castrovalva or Four To Doomsday. But it is not appearing in the online TV
      listings on KERA's website, TVGuide.com, or zap2it.com . Hopefully Doctor
      Who will be on, as they have a blank 90 minute slot followed by programming
      at 2AM.

      KBDI/K32EO Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org
      analog 12,32
      digital (38) - under construction
      Denver DirecTV Local 12,910
      Denver Dish Local 8211,12
      Pre-empted by pledge drive. Doctor Who returns April 19.

      KUED/KUES Salt Lake City/Richfield, UT http://www.kued.org
      analog 7,19
      digital 42-1,(19)
      Salt Lake City DirecTV Local 7,982
      Salt Lake City Dish Local 8536,7
      Sat 11:30PM MDT "Meglos" pt 4 of 4

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Gray's River, WA
      analog 28,15,65
      digital (27),(19) - under construction
      Seattle DirecTV Local 12,910
      Seattle Dish Local 8620,28
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PDT "Delta And The Bannermen" pt 3 of 3
      Sat 7:30PM, Late Sat 1AM PDT "Dragonfire" pt 1 of 3

      KTEH/KCAH San Jose/Watsonville, CA http://www.kteh.org
      analog 54,25
      digital (50),(58) - under construction
      San Francisco DirecTV Local 54,903
      Salinas Dish Local 9190,25
      San Francisco Dish Local 8234,54 - not available to subscribers
      Due to situations largely beyond their control, Doctor Who is on hiatus on
      KTEH/KCAH. Doctor Who will return ASAP.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2003.