This Week In Doctor Who - February 12, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12 5:27 AM
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - February 12, 2003
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 6, No 7
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thisweekindoctorwho
      thisweekindoctorwho-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The Gallifrey Doctor Who convention in LA is this weekend. I'm not going,
      but I know much of the readership is, so best wishes to everybody. I'll try
      to keep the column short this time so you don't miss your flights reading
      it. Ok - I had computer trouble and didn't get time to write all the story
      descriptions. Time for another defrag, I think.

      BBC Radio 4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/ will air a special about the Daleks
      on 22 February. 'My Life As A Dalek' will go into depth on the history
      behind the Daleks. It sounds interesting. Haven't heard what the length of
      the show will be yet - best guess is 30 minutes. It will air at 10:30AM on
      Saturday 22 February GMT. That's 5:30AM EST, 2:30AM PST, 11:30AM CET, 9:30PM
      AEST Australia, etc. Radio 4 airs on FM in Britain, LW for Britain and parts
      of Europe, streams online (link on website and here next week), and
      typcially archives many of its shows on its website for a week after the
      initial broadcast.

      Interstellar Transmissions is giving birth to a bouncy, baby national sci-fi
      radio program called "That Sci-Fi Show". The Business Talk Radio syndication
      network http://www.businesstalkradio.net/ has asked Joey Reynolds to host a
      weekly 4 hour version of his show for their network, late Sunday/early
      Monday from 2AM to 6AM EST/11PM to 3AM PST). It begins on Monday, February
      24th. Last I heard he wanted anyone with ideas for the show to e-mail him at
      scifiradioguy@... asking on how to participate. Joey will probably use a
      different name on the show, as another Joey Reynolds already has a late
      night talk show in this time slot. I'll have either the tentative station
      list or a link to it up here in the next column. They also stream their
      programming from the web site.

      KTEH/KCAH 54,25 San Jose/Watsonville, CA will air more Doctor Who, but due
      to unexpected problems will not be able to resume airing the series before
      May at the earliest. This comes as a disappointment to KTEH as they hoped to
      rerun Robot on April 13th, 22 years to the day after its first KTEH airing.

      By the time Who comes back to KTEH/KCAH, more people will be able to tune
      in. Dish Network is advertising that they will offer Local channels in the
      Salinas-Monterey, CA TV market, tentatively starting February 20. The PBS
      station for that market is KCAH 25. (Note - Dish was going to add Baltimore
      locals back in early 2002, and they still have not. Don't throw away your
      antenna or drop your cable in hopes of this deal until it actually happens.)
      At this point, Dish has given KTEH no indication that they will use KCAH to
      mirror a decent signal of KTEH for the San Francisco locals.

      While I try to keep the column up to date, I do sometimes miss late changes
      to schedules. If you see TWIDW's information getting out of synch with what
      your local station is actually airing, let me know ASAP.

      Additions and corrections are welcome at
      thisweekindoctorwho-owner@yahoogroups.com , bfelliott@... ,
      bfelliott3 on AOL IM, or thebfe on Yahoo Messenger. And now, the listings:

      RADIO/INTERNET:

      Fri 7PM EST "Interstellar Transmissions"
      http://www.interstellartransmissions.com
      WWNN AM1470 Pompano Beach/Boca Raton, FL (Miami/West Palm Beach, FL)
      http://www.wnnhealthtalkradio.com
      Joey Reynolds' weekly radio show for sci-fi news and interviews, which can
      be heard online worldwide. Doctor Who news usually discussed during the
      show. Xenia Seeburg is the primary guest this week. Dunno if it'll be live
      or taped - Joey will be at the Gallifrey convention when it airs.

      TV:

      UK:

      UK Gold http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb
      http://www.telewest.co.uk/flextech/ukgold.htm
      Late Fri 1:45-4:40AM, Sat 6-9AM GMT "Doctor Who and the Silurians" movie
      As U*N*I*T helps a Nuclear Power station prepare to come online, the 3rd
      Doctor and Liz investigate evidence of sabotage that may be caused by
      intelligent life not of the human variety.
      Late Sat 12:55-3:55?AM, Sun 6-9AM GMT "The Ambassadors Of Death" movie
      British space module Recovery 7 loses contact just as it rescues Mars Probe
      7. As Recovery 7 returns to Earth, the authorities seek to learn what has
      happened to the crew while they were in space. Forces are working against
      U*N*I*T and the space control team to keep the secrets of Mars Probe 7
      hushed up - until the appropriate time.

      UK Gold + 1
      Late Fri 2:45-5:40AM GMT "Doctor Who and the Silurians" movie
      See UK Gold for story details.
      Late Sat 1:55-4:55?AM GMT "The Ambassadors Of Death" movie
      See UK Gold for story details.

      Homechoice http://www.homechoice.co.uk
      Video On Demand. Now playing:
      "Robot" all 4 pts
      "The Ark In Space" all 4 pts
      "The Sontaran Experiment" both pts

      CANADA/USA:

      BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca
      Weeknights 2 episodes Midnight + 4AM EST (9PM + 1AM PST)
      Saturday/Sunday complete stories Midnight + 3:30AM EST (9PM + 12:30AM PST)
      Wed "The Seeds Of Doom" pts 1+2 of 6
      Thu "The Seeds Of Doom" pts 3+4 of 6
      Fri "The Seeds Of Doom" pts 5+6 of 6
      Sat "Image Of The Fendahl" all 4 pts
      Sun "The Sun Makers" all 4 pts
      Mon "The Masque Of Mandragora" pts 1+2 of 4
      Tue "The Masque Of Mandragora" pts 3+4 of 4

      Channel numbers in brackets ( ) indicate a digital station that is not on
      the air. Low power stations do not currently have digital assignments.

      NHPTV New Hampshire http://www.nhptv.org
      analog 11,49,52
      digital 57,48,(49) - not on digital schedule yet
      Boston Dish Local 8781,11
      Sat 11PM EST "The Trial Of A Time Lord" pts 5+6 of 14 (Mindwarp pts 1+2)

      WCNY/W59AU Syracuse/Utica, NY http://www.wcny.org
      analog 24,59
      digital 25-1
      Sun 5:30PM EST "The Brain Of Morbius" pt 3 of 4

      WSKG Binghamton, NY http://www.wskg.com
      analog 46
      digital (42) - under construction
      Sat 11:30PM EST "Terror Of The Zygons" pt 3 of 4

      WQED/WQEX Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org
      analog 13,16
      digital 38-1,(26)
      Pittsburgh DirecTV Local 13,947
      Pittsburgh Dish Local 8136,13
      Late Sat Mid EST "Enlightenment" pt 3 of 4

      WYBE Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org
      analog 35
      digital (34) - coming 2003
      Philadelphia DirecTV Local 35,909
      Philadelphia Dish Local 8162,35
      Sat 11PM EST "The Armageddon Factor" pt 6 of 6
      Sat 11:30PM EST "Destiny Of The Daleks" pt 1 of 4

      MPT Maryland http://www.mpt.org
      analog 22,67,28,31,62,36
      digital 42,(29),(62),(44),(28),(56) - simulcast of analog begins in 2003
      DC/Hagerstown & Baltimore DirecTV Local 22,980
      Late Sat Mid EST "Earthshock" movie

      WCET Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org
      analog 48
      digital 34-1
      Cincinnati DirecTV Local 48,909
      Cincinnati Dish Local 8356,48
      Sat 11PM EST "Planet Of Fire" pts 1+2 of 4

      WILL Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu
      analog 12
      digital (33) - under construction
      Sat 11:40PM CST "The Power Of Kroll" pt 1 of 4

      IPTV Iowa http://www.sffn.com http://www.iptv.org
      analog 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36,36
      digital 50-1,(45),(25),(18),(28),(33),(35),(35),(34)
      Des Moines Dish Local 9116,11
      Omaha, NE Dish Local 9146,32
      Cedar Rapids Dish Local 9161,12
      Sat 11:35PM CST "Robot" pts 3+4 of 4

      KERA/K44FI Dallas/Wichita Falls, TX http://www.kera.org
      analog 13,44
      digital 14-1
      Dallas DirecTV Local 13,889
      Dallas Dish Local 8406,13
      Late Fri 12:30AM CST "The Keeper Of Traken" movie

      KBDI/K32EO Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org
      analog 12,32
      digital (38) - under construction
      Denver DirecTV Local 12,910
      Denver Dish Local 8211,12
      Late Fri 12:30AM MST "The Trial Of A Time Lord" pts 13+14 of 14 (The
      Ultimate Foe pts 1+2)
      Sat 11PM MST "Paradise Towers"? pts 1+2 of 4
      According to KBDI's website, they are skipping to Paradise Towers, and not
      airing Time And The Rani, the regeneration story which should come first.
      This is not a case of production order versus story order - Time was filmed
      before Paradise in production order.

      KUED/KUES Salt Lake City/Richfield, UT http://www.kued.org
      analog 7,19
      digital 42-1,(19)
      Salt Lake City DirecTV Local 7,982
      Salt Lake City Dish Local 8536,7
      Sat 11:30PM MST "State Of Decay" pt 2 of 4

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Gray's River, WA
      http://www.kbtc.org
      analog 28,15,65
      digital (27),(19) - under construction
      Seattle DirecTV Local 12,910
      Seattle Dish Local 8620,28
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PST "The Trial Of A Time Lord" pts 9+10 of 14
      (Terror Of The Vervoids pts 1+2)

      KTEH/KCAH San Jose/Watsonville, CA http://www.kteh.org
      analog 54,25
      digital (50),(58) - under construction
      San Francisco DirecTV Local 54,903
      Salinas Dish Local 9190,25 - coming 2/20/2003 according to Dish
      San Francisco Dish Local 8234,54 - uplinked but unavailable to subscribers
      Sun 11:30PM PST "An Evening With Peter Davison" KTEH production
      At last word, KTEH hoped to resume airing Doctor Who in May. Doctor Who will
      return with the 4th Doctor era.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2003.

      ---