This Week In Doctor Who Classic - November 22, 1999

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2001
      Fourth and final installment in the rerun week. This Week's regular edition
      will go out tomorrow. Thanks for bearing with the extra messages, and I hope
      you've found them entertaining.

      This special edition was written for an April Fools Edition of the Doctor
      Who Alliance in 1999, which was eventually canceled before it went out. The
      column was eventually posted to the rec.arts.drwho newsgroup on May 10,
      1999.

      Benjamin F. Elliott
      bfelliott@...
      --------------------------------

      Doctor Who returns to TV for the first time!

      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - November 22, 1963

      At long last, loyal readers, the BBC is picking up Doctor Who! I know we've
      all been waiting for this moment for many years. Time for rejoicing, dancing
      in the streets, and giving Police Public Call Boxes funny looks. I don't
      think anything could mar our enjoyment this weekend.

      So, for the first time ever, the Doctor Who schedule column actually has a
      station's schedule to cover. This is exciting. Maybe someday it will sell to
      other countries. It could happen.

      One more thing: William Hartnell has been cast as 'Doctor', not Peter
      Cushing as some sources have claimed. William Russell will play 'Ian
      Chesterson', Jacqueline Hill will play 'Barbara Wright', and Carole Ann Ford
      has been cast as 'Susan'.

      As always, additions, corrections, and updates should go to
      snewman@... . And now, off to the listing:

      The UK:
      BBC
      5:15PM GMT 'An Unearthly Child' premiere of series
      In 76 Totters Lane there sits a junkyard. It's an ordinary, if oddly
      compiled, place. However, deep inside the junkyard sits something that
      doesn't fit the decor. A London Police Public Call Box. Why is it sitting in
      that junkyard, instead of out where it could be useful? And how is the
      mysterious link between this box and an extraordinary teenager at Coal Hill
      School? The answers to these and deeper questions form the basis for this
      pilot episode - the first ever broadcast of Doctor Who.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, ta ta.

      Sydney Newman

      Doctor Who is not yet a registered trademark of the BBC. This is 1963.