This Week In Doctor Who - July 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002
      THIS WEEK IN DOCTOR WHO - July 10, 2002
      by Benjamin F. Elliott
      Vol 5, No 28

      Welcome to the weekly guide to Doctor Who on Television. This Week In Doctor
      Who is turning 4 years old in the next few days. The original edition went
      out on July 13, 1998, posted only to the rec.arts.drwho newsgroup (but don't
      hold that against it). Amazing how time passes. Don't know if I'll do
      anything unusual with the column next week to celebrate the anniversary - it
      would have to be new and interesting.

      Last week, I got e-mails questioning why I did not report a story regarding
      the possibility of a new Doctor Who series in 2003 starring Anthony Stewart
      Head (Taster's Choice commercials, Giles on Buffy The Vampire Slayer,
      well-liked singer). The reason - the story was bogus. Someone took reports
      that David Fury (who works on "Buffy" and "Angel") had been asked by the BBC
      to look into how Doctor Who could be revived, borrowed some quotes from the
      press releases when Anthony Stewart Head guest starred in Death Comes To
      Time and some Big Finish audios, and created a rumor. For anyone who still
      believes that Anthony Stewart Head has been hired to be the Doctor, go to
      http://www.gallifreyone.com/ , click on the News Page, scroll down to the
      June 29th news to read the real report (the BBC chatted with David Fury at
      one point), then scroll back up to the July 2nd explanation debunking the
      Anthony Stewart Head rumor.

      This Week In Doctor Who handles reports of possible new series and
      negotiations on a case by case basis. In my view, unless we clearly are
      getting a new series (or a new rerun package), and the deal has been signed,
      it is probably counterproductive to wade into the matter. Frankly, if
      serious negotiations were underway, the type of people who would be involved
      would probably keep it secret until deals were signed. Anyone who would be
      aware of such negotiations would be held to strict secrecy, and could not
      report on their information. I don't know if Doctor Who will ever have a new
      series or a big syndication deal again, but if it does it will come as a
      burglar in the night, when we least expect it, with all the contracts
      already signed and notarized.

      USA - Texas Doctor Who fans might feel rather confused by KERA 13
      http://www.kera.org/ by now. In the past week, they moved their repeater in
      Wichita Falls, TX from 24 to 44 and changed its call letters from K24AD to
      K44FI. Also, KERA's website indicates that they are now running Red Dwarf in
      place of Doctor Who on their Friday night lineup. Since I sincerely doubt
      that Red Dwarf episodes run 2 hours, 20 minutes or 1 hour, 35 minutes long,
      and Zap2it.com still has the Doctor Who stories indicated, I am assuming
      that this is an error on the web page which will be fixed.

      USA - Iowa Public TV fans in the Quad Cities area (Davenport, IA;
      Burlington, IA; Rock Island, IL; Moline, IL) will soon be able to see Doctor
      Who either clearer or for the first time. KQCT 36, currently a rather low
      power Davenport, IA repeater of KQPT 24 (Quad Cities Public TV), has a
      construction permit to go to full power, and approval from the FCC to be
      transferred to the Iowa Public Broadcasting Board. When it is full power, it
      will be an IPTV station, and the second IPTV signal on channel 36. If you
      have a digital TV in the Quad Cities, then should they keep up with FCC
      regulations KQCT-DT will be on channel 34 by May 2003 when noncommercial
      stations are *supposed* to have digital signals on the air. There is no
      mention of any of this on IPTV's http://www.iptv.org or KQPT's
      http://www.kqpt.org websites, nor any clue when KQCT will join IPTV (and
      probably change its call letters). Info gleaned from the resources at
      http://www.100000watts.com/ and http://www.radio-info.com/ , both worth

      USA - WCET 48 http://www.wcet.org/ Cincinnati, OH has been at lower power
      lately while they put up their digital antenna. Maryland Public TV
      http://www.mpt.org/ has also been telling viewers of WMPT 22 and WMPB 67 to
      expect periods of lower power while their digital antennas go up. As a
      general rule, setting up the digital transmitters has usually required the
      analog channels to either operate at reduced power or go off the air for
      periods of time. Cable/satellite viewers frequently don't notice this, but
      those watching over the air do. Don't be surprised when/if your Doctor Who
      station becomes hard to see for a while.

      South America - Still need help from someone who has Uniseries
      http://www.uniseries.com.ar down there. What Doctor Who episodes are they

      USA - A couple of weeks ago, Dish Network began giving some of its receivers
      the ability to display local TV channels on their local channel numbers.
      Most Dish Network subscribers are still getting their local channels in the
      8000 block. We are listing both channel numbers now, like we do for DirecTV.

      AUSTRALIA - Jason Fraser, administrator of the Varos Doctor Who website in
      Australia, has redesigned it a bit. The new website is at
      http://www.varos.net/drwho . His site now has a complete history of UKTV's
      Doctor Who broadcasts from 1996 to the present. Coming soon is a complete
      broadcast history of Doctor Who on Australian Television from the 1960s on.
      There is still a mirror of my column on the site.

      Additions and corrections are welcome at
      thisweekindoctorwho-owner@yahoogroups.com , bfelliott@... ,
      bfelliott3 on AOL IM, or thebfe on Yahoo Messenger. And now, the listings:

      BBCi "Doctor Who Censor Clips"
      Requires RealPlayer
      Recently recovered clips from The Web Of Fear episodes 2,4,+5 and The Wheel
      In Space episode 5. The clips were cut from the original New Zealand
      broadcasts of these stories in 1970/1971, and right now the clips survive,
      while the episodes are still missing.

      Fri 7PM EDT (6PM CDT) "Interstellar Transmissions"
      WWNN AM1470 Pompano Beach/Boca Raton, FL (Miami/West Palm Beach, FL)
      WBYU AM1450 New Orleans, LA http://www.bayou1450.com
      Joey Reynolds' weekly radio show for sci-fi news and interviews, broadcast
      live over the internet on all 3 websites listed above. This week - another
      edition of the show.

      UK Gold http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb
      Sat 7:05-9AM BST "The Sun Makers" movie
      A classic story which you can also get in episodic format from BBC Video (no
      way they've deleted it yet, surely.) The 4th Doctor and Leela take on big
      corporations and the evils of high taxes in a bi-partisan satire
      particularly appropriate with the lunatic taxes of today and the corruption
      of companies coming out daily. Don't laugh cause it's just US firms. Clinton
      style integrity went worldwide. I can think of at least one British company
      which has clearly been cooking the books, has been firing all the employees
      they can find, and is probably run by the Collector himself. Is The Sun
      Makers actually a prediction of our near future? I hope not - their dress
      sense is terrible.
      Sun 7:20-9AM BST "Underworld" movie
      The Time Lords helped out a race many years ago. The folks they helped
      betrayed them, stole technology, and mostly destroyed themselves. The Time
      Lords ought to feel annoyed - instead they feel guilty. And the survivors of
      the evil race are now about to pull a guilt trip on the Doctor to help them
      out of a jam.

      Homechoice http://www.homechoice.co.uk
      Video On Demand. Now playing:
      "Robot" all 4 pts
      "The Ark In Space" all 4 pts
      "The Sontaran Experiment" both pts

      BBC Prime http://www.bbcprime.com
      Wed Noon CET, Late Fri 12:30AM, Sat 4PM CET "Battlefield" pt 3 of 4
      Thu Noon CET, Sat 4:25PM, Late Sun 12:30AM CET "Battlefield" pt 4 of 4
      The 7th Doctor and Ace discover the secrets of King Arthur, and Brigadier
      Lethbridge-Stewart faces the greatest danger of his life in the final
      U*N*I*T story of the series.
      Wed Noon CET "Ghostlight" pt 1 of 4
      The last story produced, but not the last aired. The 7th Doctor and Ace
      arrive in the 19th Century at a spooky house that Ace finds alarmingly
      familiar. Has the Doctor betrayed her confidence in the worst way possible?

      TELE 5 Poland http://www.tele5.pl
      Sat-Sun 9:30AM CET "Planet Of Evil" pts 1 - 2 of 4
      Airing in Polish, and in production order.

      BBC Kids http://www.bbckids.ca
      Weeknights 7:30PM, 10:30PM, 2AM, 4AM EDT (4:30PM, 7:30PM, 11PM, 1AM PDT)
      *Weeknight episodes are NEW to BBC Kids. Weekends are reruns.*
      Saturdays 3:30PM, 10:30PM EDT (12:30PM, 7:30PM PDT) - complete stories
      Sundays 3:30PM, 10:30PM EDT (12:30PM, 7:30PM PDT) - complete stories
      Wed "The Pirate Planet" pt 4 of 4
      Xanak prepares to crush another planet - Earth - within the next few hours.
      In reaction to news of this planetary peril, MCI Worldcom executives were
      seen to pop champagne corks in glee. They then promised to decide if the
      company will declare bankruptcy within the next 3 weeks, with a little smirk
      on their faces. Uh, guys, you do know that the Doctor is there and plans to
      prevent this catastrophe? What if the world lives, and you actually have to
      decide on what to do with the company?
      Thu-Fri "The Stones Of Blood" pts 1 - 2 of 4
      The Black Guardian impersonates the Doctor, putting Romana in grave danger.
      Sat "The Invisible Enemy" all 4 pts
      An alien invades the Doctor's mind in a daring plan to conquer the universe,
      and give Leela screen time as the hero(ine). John Leeson makes his first
      audio appearance as K9.
      Sun "Image Of The Fendahl" all 4 pts
      A time scanner, capable of destroying the Earth, leads the 4th Doctor and
      Leela to discover a terrifying secret from Gallifrey's past.
      Mon-Tue "The Stones Of Blood" pts 3 - 4 of 4
      World's Wildest Police Videos - When Ancient Stones Attack! I wonder why
      that special was never made.

      NHPTV New Hampshire 11,49,52 http://www.nhptv.org
      Late Thu & Late Sat Mid EDT "Frontios" pts 3+4 of 4
      The secret to defeating the Gravis lies with a race memory buried inside
      Turlough. We're doomed. And once again Worldcom execs were seen to cheer for
      some reason.

      WCNY/W59AU 24,59 Syracuse/Utica, NY http://www.wcny.org
      Sun 5:30PM EDT "Genesis Of The Daleks" pt 2 of 6
      Cassandra warns the Trojans not to accept that wretched horse, but no one
      listens. Now the 4th Doctor warns the Kaleds about the danger of the Daleks,
      with similar results. Watch Doctor Who - it helps you remember history.

      WQED/WQEX 13,16 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.wqed.org
      DirecTV 13,947 Dish 8136,13
      Late Sat Mid EDT "Time-Flight" pt 3 of 4
      Kalid's identity is revealed. Oh no - it can't be. Oh dear. It's the head of
      that British firm that's been firing everyone in sight. Either that or the

      WYBE 35 Philadelphia, PA http://www.wybe.org
      DirecTV 35,909 Dish 8162,35
      Sat 11PM EDT "The Robots Of Death" pts 1+2 of 4
      Murder, mayhem, and sparkling dialogue. When we hand control of our lives to
      robots, then treat them as dirt, what happens when the robots have enough?
      Chris Boucher will control the vertical. Chris Boucher will control the
      horizontal. Welcome to the Outer Limits of Doctor Who. You must watch.

      MPT Maryland 22,28,31,36,62,67 http://www.mpt.org
      DirecTV 22,980
      Late Sat Mid EDT "The Robots Of Death" movie
      See WYBE for details.

      WCET 48 Cincinnati, OH http://www.wcet.org
      DirecTV 48,909 Dish 8356,48
      Sat 11PM EDT "Time-Flight" pts 1+2 of 4
      The 5th Doctor, in shock over the events of Earthshock, helps Heathrow
      Airport search for a missing Concorde.

      WYIN 56 Gary, IN (Chicago, IL) http://www.chicagowho.com http://www.wyin.tv
      Sat 11PM CDT "The King's Demons" both pts
      King John's one busy boy - not only is he signing the Magna Carta in London,
      he's also in rural England creating strife at a noble's house. How can he be
      in two places at once - King John wasn't a Time Lord? Was he?

      WILL 12 Urbana, IL http://www.will.uiuc.edu
      Sat 11:15PM CDT "The Sun Makers" pt 3 of 4
      See UK Gold for details.

      KAWE/KAWB 9,22 Bemidji/Brainerd, MN http://www.lakelandptv.org
      Sat 8PM, Sun 11PM CDT "Terror Of The Zygons" pt 4 of 4
      The 4th Doctor gives the Brigadier a big bang. Scotland sends the English a
      special present - Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster. Could be worse, they could
      have sent Arthur Anderson to audit the financial records.

      TPT 2 St. Paul, MN http://www.tpt.org
      digital 16.5 (2.5) DirecTV 2,891 Dish 8576,2
      Sat 11:30PM, Sun 5:30AM CDT "Warriors' Gate" pt 2 of 4
      K9 is seriously injured, and the Doctor goes through the looking glass. Will
      he find Alice and the March Hare? Or just some very hairy creatures?

      IPTV Iowa 11,12,21,24,27,32,32,36 http://www.sffn.com http://www.iptv.org
      digital 50
      Sat 11:35PM CDT "The Trial Of A Time Lord" pts 3+4 of 14 (The Mysterious
      Planet pts 3+4)
      The Tribe of the Free decides to liberate the dwellers in the Caves from
      Drathro, the powerful robot - whether they like it or not. And the Time
      Lords want to blame the Doctor for this. Now really, people. Revolution is a
      fact of human life. Thomas Jefferson wrote that "A little Revolution now and
      then is a good thing". Then again - Time Lords don't seem interested in the
      opinions of Americans.

      KERA/K44FI 13,44 Dallas/Wichita Falls, TX http://www.kera.org
      digital 14.1 DirecTV 13,889 Dish 8406,13
      Late Fri 12:15AM CDT "The Seeds Of Doom" movie
      John Steed and Emma Peel, looking suspiciously like the 4th Doctor and
      Sarah, turn the tables on a plot to use alien plants to create a worldwide
      vegetable paradise.

      KBDI/K32EO 12,32 Denver/Colorado Springs, CO http://www.kbdi.org
      DirecTV 12,910 Dish 8211,12
      Pre-empted by pledges. Doctor Who returns July 20.

      KUED/KUES 7,39 Salt Lake City/Richfield, UT http://www.kued.org
      digital 42 DirecTV 7,982 Dish 8536,7
      Sat 11PM, Late Sat 12:30AM MDT "The Armageddon Factor" pt 4 of 6
      Atrios is caught in a Time Loop, but the 4th Doctor and Romana have to
      hurry, because the Time Loop is ... Atrios is caught in a Time Loop, but the
      4th Doctor and Romana have to hurry, because the Time Loop is extending. As
      it gets ... Atrios is caught in a Time Loop, but the 4th Doctor and Romana
      have to hurry, because the Time Loop is extending. As it gets longer, the
      Marshall may have time to press the button, in which case everyone is d ....
      Atrios is caught in a Time Loop

      KBTC/KCKA/K65BU 28,15,65 Tacoma/Centralia/Grays River, WA
      DirecTV 12,910 Dish 8620,28
      Sat 7PM, Late Sat 12:30AM PDT "The Five Doctors" 4 pt version, pts 1+2
      Taken out of time, multiple Doctors and companions work together to find out
      who brought them all to Gallifrey. KBTC area fans will feel a bit like the
      4th Doctor - trapped in a loop of time. You saw this story just last month -
      multiple times. I guess you can invite a friend over, predict what will
      happen, and look like a genius.

      KTEH/KCAH 54,25 San Jose/Watsonville, CA http://www.kteh.org
      DirecTV 54,903 Dish 8234,54
      Pre-empted by pledges. Doctor Who returns July 21.

      Uniseries http://www.uniseries.com.ar
      Sun 9:30AM, 9:30PM, Mon 4:30AM "" 1 episode
      As of this writing, I can not find any listings that will say which episodes
      are airing, or in what language. I'm serious, guys. We need to hear from
      people in Argentina or neighboring countries with this channel.

      Thanks for reading. Until next week, take care.

      Doctor Who is a BBC Trademark. Copyright 2002.