Welcome, Ian Bruk!

  • minciusodas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
      Joe, I'd like to welcome Ian Bruk. He's an Investigatorius at our
      lab, leading and funding our work at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thinkingconcretely/ He is working on
      Living Research Reports for analyzing a company from an investor's
      point of view, as at http://www.materialchange.com I realized that
      the software we're developing for him might monitoring the wisdom of
      an investment might be helpful for analyzing a transit system. He's
      interested to join us here, and I've signed him up. Ian, welcome!
      Andrius, http://www.ms.lt

      Hi Ian,

      Your letters are fantastic. THANK YOU!!!

      The lists will be incredibly helpful. It's amazing the kind of deep
      currents that your instincts tap into. I mean, how do we design a
      metric for measuring the Anti-Establishment quotient of a company? It
      might be, for example, how far on the technology fringe you are to be
      blogging about it. I suppose this means that you sell when the
      quotient drops! So this is very practical as we're thinking concretely.

      I'm writing this proposal for BetterTransit.org and I'll be posting
      stuff at our working group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thinkingconcretely/ So I'm researching
      stuff on the web regarding "transit performance measurements" and
      found a good paper that suggests a holistic approach. The idea is
      that we can better appreciate the performance of a solution if we
      consider it within the entire system. A light rail line may seem
      profitable, but it may force the routing of new unproductive bus
      feeder lines. A dedicated bus lane may seem unprofitable, but if it
      is used by car pools and van pools, may actually be a great use of
      funds for decreasing congestion. So this kind of whole-system
      decision making may fit very well with your Living Research Reports
      that we are developing, based on the top-ten-list of effects, etc.
      (imagine reasons like increasing mobility, reducing congestion,
      reducing pollution, etc.)

      So I will be including you as one the Investigators in the pool that
      we draw from. If you could send me a CV that would be great, please
      do so.

      A Whole-System Approach to Evaluating Urban Transit Investments by
      Johnathan E. D. Richmond, 1999. The author looks at new light-rail
      systems for metropolitan areas in the USA, considers ridership,
      development benefits, capital costs and operating financial
      performance. He concludes that capital funds spent have generated few
      benefits, equal or better results could be gotten from adjusting fare
      levels and low cost improvements in existing bus services. Light rail
      forces the need for unproductive new feeder bus lines - costs that are
      not factored in. Buses cost less when costs of capital are factored
      in, but this is ignored after the capital is expended. Ottawa,
      Pittsburgh, Miami and Houston are cited as positive examples of
      bus-centered transit systems. A noteworthy exception is San Diego,
      where rallying around the new light rail has improved all transit
      services and increased ridership. Ottawa and Houston increased riders
      by simply adding more buses, keeping fares down. Houston introduced
      special rights-of-way lanes for buses, but also for use by carpools
      and vanpools, which allowed them to combine the cost benefit analysis
      for both. Innovation is needed in optimizing bus networks.
      http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/professional/wholesys.pdf

      You're welcome Andrius.

      I'd like to join the transit group as I find it very interesting. And
      topical. As I said, or think I said, I'm now living on an island that I
      guess would qualify as a village. 4,000 inhabitants year round and
      8,000 during summer high season. And transit is an issue here.
      There is no bus. There is only, I believe, one licence for a taxi
      which is completely cost prohibitive. They are hitch hiker friendly
      but I don't think that's the solution. I think some form of ride board,
      Drupal powered of course, is needed. They did play around with
      an "arm band" system to screen hitch hikers but that didn't work.

      It's funny you mention the anti-establishment quotient because
      that's what I think is holding back the transit system on this island.
      It's the perfect place for Thailand inspired "Baht Buses" which are
      basically pickup trucks with two benches and a canopy that would
      just cruise the island and pick up people who flag it down. But
      again the establishment of the island as well as the provincial
      insurance establishment don't allow this.

      So though this island prides itself on "being green minded" it really
      should be scolded for its transit because it is very wasteful. I think
      any study of transit will have to deal with these problems. That is
      the solution may highlight changes in laws that need to be made.

      Regards,

      Ian

      P.S. I'll work on getting you a C.V.
    • Ian Bruk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2003
        Thanks for the invitation. Though I am interested in all Minciu Sodas
        laboratory initiatives I find transit especially relevant to me at
        this time.

        I am attempting, with Material Change, and
        thinkingconcretely@yahoogroups.com, to find one possible way for the
        laboratory to finance itself and to continually focus on the bottom
        line. As Ayn Rand wrote: "Every dollar you spend is a vote".

        I find that Andrius' premise of thinking openly and caring about
        thinking continue to resonate with me when I get question the whole
        internet phenomenon.

        Though I am working on getting Andrius a CV most importantly I think
        is that I am pretty committed to being a "web logger" and am now
        struggling with the collaboration and knowledge management facets of
        this movement. I currently am philosophically drawn to open source
        solutions in this space and am keen to find people interested in
        Drupal.org's solution.

        I just wanted to give a short introduction. And re web logs I found a
        link that could be interesting to this group. The first article "Power
        to the People" speaks about web logs (hmmm they leave out open source
        alternatives) and urban planning but I notice there are some
        interesting articles about transporation also.

        Regards,

        Ian Bruk