Extra! Extra! Read all about it...

  • sassyriot
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9 6:01 PM
      N E W I S S U E O F A L T A R M A G A Z I N E
      Altar Magazine, a forum for critical thought, coalition building,
      artistic creativity, and activism, is kicking off its second issue.
      With more pages and better print quality, this issue will feature
      articles such as Myopia by Inga Muscio, Hajira: Part Two by Fawzia
      Afzal-Khan, Arting Up the Revolution by Jonathan Culp, Concrete
      Blonde Interview, Celie's Revenge: Hip-hop Betrays Black Women by
      Jennifer McLune, No Justice No Peace: a critique within the peace
      movement, Scott Heron Interview (Prefuse 73, Savath + Savalas) and
      much more from writers and artists living all over the world.

      $3 gets you a copy of Altar Magazine #2
      $5 gets you Altar Magazine #1 & #2
      $20 gets you both issues and an Altar Magazine t-shirt

      PAYMENT OPTIONS:
      1- Send cash, check or money order made out to 'Altar Magazine' at:
      Altar Magazine
      955 Metropolitan Ave. #4R
      Brooklyn, NY 11211

      2- Use a Credit Card by clicking on the following link:
      https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=info%
      40altarmagazine.com&item_name=Altar+Magazine+%
      232&no_note=1&tax=0¤cy_code=USD

      ** NOTE: If you live outside of the US, please add a few dollars to
      help with shipping costs **

      Please email with any questions or for more information. We
      appreciate your support of this independent media project. We would
      not exist without you!

      V I S I T U S O U R N E W A N D I M P R O V E D W E B S I T E !
      W W W . A L T A R M A G A Z I N E . C O M
      Find out what's new with Altar Magazine!
      Give feedback on the website and the magazine!
      Read Articles, Interviews and Reviews that Don't Appear in the
      Magazine!
      Become part of the Altar Magazine Volunteer Staff!

      B A C K I S S U E S
      You can still get a copy of Issue One FEATURING...
      Interviews with:
      * Mr. Lif on the politics of hip-hop
      * Sleater Kinney, ladymen in effect
      * Elaine Brown and Constance Curry, two civil rights activists talk
      about current politics
      * shebang!, an all-girl breaking crew from Canada chat about being b-
      girl pioneers
      * Bitch & Animal, self-described tittie tribal hoe down funk

      Articles:
      * Before and After September 11th: Notes from an Anti-Racist,
      Feminist Patriot by Zillah Eisenstein
      * Justice is a Human Right, the struggle for prison reform by
      Vanessa Filley
      * A Look at the Emergence of Graffiti Culture by J. Jarosz
      * Hajira: Part One, a short story about a friendship between two
      Pakistani women struggling to define themselves within the confines of
      their expected societal roles
      AND MORE!!!

      The cost is $3 per issue.
      ** NOTE: If you live outside of the US, please add a few dollars to
      help with shipping costs **

      You can purchase your copy using a credit card via Paypal by clicking
      on the following link:
      https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=info%
      40altarmagazine.com&item_name=Altar+Magazine&no_note=1&tax=0┬Ący_code=U
      SD

      Or you may send cash, check or money order (made out to "Mandy Van
      Deven") to:
      Altar Magazine
      955 Metropolitan Ave. #4R
      Brooklyn, NY 11211

      M E E T T H E E D I T O R!
      CHEAP SMALL PRESS FAIR
      Sunday, Oct. 19, 2003
      11am - 5pm
      @ The Nest, 88 Front Street, Brooklyn, NY
      (corner of Front and Washington)
      in Brooklyn: F to York, A/C to Hight St.
      Free Entry
      Browse and Buy Literary Journals, Books, and Zines from Local and
      National Independent Publishers
      Everything for $10 or Less!
      For more info visit www.odetogo.com.

      M I S S I O N S T A T E M E N T
      Altar Magazine believes that problems are not monolithic, and neither
      are solutions. It is imperative to have socially progressive women
      and men fighting on all fronts of the movement whether that is anti-
      racist work, feminism, anti-heterosexism, economic justice or any
      other political action. Altar Magazine exists within a community that
      is fragmented, but not broken. It exists in a time when coalition is
      crucial and must be implemented.
      We believe that the personal is political; therefore, all forms of
      creativity are inherently political.
      We want to create a space where critical thought and understanding
      happen simultaneously. This is important because before we can
      create social change we must be able to re-imagine communities that
      foster difference. We must be able to take ownership of that which we
      do not claim in order to effectively critique this oppressive system
      that we know and perpetuate.
      Social change is not momentous. It is a process. Our hope is that
      each individual recognizes his or her place within this system of
      change.