Starting a zine

  • andipandipoo
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
      Hey, me and my friend are starting a zine and we
      need help! why do some people ask for two or more
      stamps when you request a copy of their zine? what is
      some of the lingo used in zine making? anything you
      can help us with is greatly appreciated
    • medellia2001
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
        it usually takes more than one stamp to mail a
        zine, esp if it's half-page size or larger. the first
        thing you have to do is decide what kind of zine you
        want to do---personal, political, craft, music, film,
        blah blah blah. write some articles, put in lots of
        pretty pictures, and, voila, you have a zine. --jen
        (w@ste of ink)
      • lowhug
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 5 10:37 AM
          Call for entries: LAUNDRY BASKET. <br><br>A
          one-shot zine from the editor of LOW HUG. This was just
          going to be a feature, but I've decided to make a
          mini-zine out of it. Therefore, I am opening the call
          again. <br><br>I want to know about your dirty laundry.
          mishaps(the entire load turns blue from that new towel you
          threw in with the light colored wash); Laundromat
          adventures (from equipment disasters to hostile run-in with
          other patrons over the last free dryer to someone
          trying to steal your underwear); advice from your mom or
          laundry mentor (for example, how to make your own laundry
          detergent with washing soda and Borax); or anything else
          laundry,Laundromat, or fabric care related. <br><br>So, please
          contribute if you can! Aim for a paragraph or two, around
          200-225 words. The deadline is March 15th. Please e-mail
          contributions to lowhug@... - please don't just post them
          to the list as I may not see them, thank you.
          - I tend to do zine-related things on the weekends,
          and respond to e-mails then.<br><br>Please contribute
          if you can. You'll get a copy of the issue when it
        • lowhug
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 5 10:37 AM
            After much delay, LOW HUG #7 is finally ready,
            hot off the photocopier! <br><br>It's turned out to
            be a somewhat low-key issue, with many thoughts on
            the 9/11 terrorist attacks, as well as a well-written
            "Media Junkies" review
            Editrix<br><br>"Get Your Fix on Route 66: Looking for Inspiration in
            Tough Times? The Grapes of Wrath bears fruit" by Jack
            Persico<br><br>"9/11 is Not a Joke," by Jason Pankoke (of
            Micro-FILM)<br><br>Media Junkies: Film, Television, Music, and Zine
            Reviews by LOW HUG writers.<br><br>The issue is 36 pages,
            digest sized, and is $2. Mailing addy is: A.j. Michel,
            PO Box 2574, Champaign, IL 61825<br><br>Thanks for
            HUG<br>"LOW HUG: Unpretentious and honest, though not
            necessarily exciting, since 1998."