Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

joss whedon

Expand Messages
  • zanna90
    did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good
    • Bobby Hutchison
      Do you have a link? ... From: zanna90 To: thewonderwoman_forum@yahoogroups.com Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Do you have a link?
         
        ----- Original Message -----
        From: zanna90
        Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
        Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

        did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good


      • jose diaz
        joss whedon something like web long Bobby Hutchison wrote: Do you have a link? ... From: zanna90 To:
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          joss whedon something like web long


          Bobby Hutchison <bobby_hutchison@...> wrote:
          Do you have a link?
           
          ----- Original Message -----
          From: zanna90
          Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
          Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

          did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good



          Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

        • Nick Nixon
          I think this is the interview mentioned... http://www.infocusmag.com/05augustseptember/whedonuncut.htm V. WONDER WOMAN: Flight and Height I understand you’ve
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            I think this is the interview mentioned...
             
             
             
            V. WONDER WOMAN:
            Flight and Height

            The teaser poster for the �Wonder Woman� feature Whedon will write and direct.  �I do not believe she will be flying,� he predicts.  �She might jump.  There could be some hopping.�  I understand you�ve not yet written a word of the �Wonder Woman� screenplay.
            Not too many words.

            Did you tell Warner Bros. you weren�t keen to deal with it until �Serenity� enters release?
            Not release. It�s not that I haven�t been working on it.

            You have been working on it?
            The way I work, I�m like a vulture. I circle and circle and then I dive. I usually don�t actually write anything until I know exactly how it�s going to turn out. I don�t �let the computer take me away.� I�m an absolute Nazi about structure. I make outlines. I make charts and graphs with colors.

            You�ve done that for �Wonder Woman�?
            Not for �Wonder Woman,� because I�m still working out the plot. But I�m finding the moments that matter; I�m finding the things that make the story really resonate; the things that I just can�t wait to film. I have great big questions to answer, but I�m in that beautiful, free-form poetical place where you just get to think up moments and see if they fit in your movie. And that�s almost more fun than anything. And that work, which is a vital part of what got me interested in doing the job in the first place, is being done.

            But I do have to see �Serenity� through. I�ll be finished with the movie within a month but I have to make sure it gets taken care of all the way through release. I have, in the past, found that I was able to do more than one thing at a time.

            Will Diana be able to fly under her own power, or will an invisible plane be involved?
            I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have a guy who flies. I don�t see her flying. She might jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will be because it came out really cool. And I have theories about how to make that work.

            You�ve said there will be �no star-spangled panties� like the ones Lynda Carter wore in the old TV series. Are you ruling out star-spangled miniskirts?
            Not exactly. The look that she�s sporting in DC Comics right now is closer to where I�d have her than the TV series, or the old look. The color scheme and the silhouette have to remain because they�re her. But the American flag is not what she�s going to be wearing.

            So you�re not ruling out minis?
            No. She�s still going to look like Wonder Woman. She�s not going to look like Trinity. She�s going to look like Wonder Woman, but she�s just not going to be hokey.

            In the teaser poster the eagle remains on her chestplate.
            The eagle is OK with me. Because it�s not like we invented them. It�s a lot less to swallow than the fact that Jor-El wears a big �S.� That bugged me.

            As you go about casting Diana, do you set a height requirement? How important is it that the Amazon princess be tall?
            It�s important. I�m looking for somebody statuesque, regal, beautiful, who can really act and do a lot of stunts with no elbow or knee pads. I�m asking a lot. So if I happen to find all those qualities in somebody who does not quite meet my height requirement, I will be casting some really short love interest. The height is definitely a part of the package. But the most important part? No. And the fact of the matter is, a woman stands as tall as she makes you think she is. For example, I always thought [�Buffy� writer-producer] Marti Noxon was four inches taller than she actually was. I just found that out last week.

            �Wonder Woman� producer Joel Silver prides himself on his casting acumen. Has he yet offered any suggestions?
            No. You know, we talked specifically about that. And the idea was always, �Write the part, and then we�ll figure it out.�

            You�ve also talked about her being very young. Are you thinking college-age? Teen-ager?
            I�d say that�s a pretty flexible thing because it�s her first time setting foot in the world of men. But that doesn�t necessarily mean she has to be a teen-ager. So, yes, they are thinking of a young woman. They�re thinking, I expect, of something franchise-able.

            Will it be appropriate to describe the �Wonder Woman� movie as a fish-out-of-water tale?
            I would say very much so.

            Will this be one of the key ways it distinguishes itself from other superhero movies?
            Yes, I think so. Ultimately, structurally, yes, that�s a big distinguishing factor, but I think there will be other elements that are specific to her. But then again, I haven�t seen the new �Batman� and I haven�t seen the script for �Supes� [Warner Bros.� upcoming �Superman Returns� feature].

            Will Diana contend with a print-derived supervillain?
            At this point I�m looking at creating something a little different. I don�t think her rogues gallery necessarily offers me what I need. But that�s not a final decision, that�s just my instinct.


             
            Nick
             
             
             
             
            ----- Original Message -----
            Sent: 8/1/2005 5:00:34 PM
            Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

            Do you have a link?
             
            ----- Original Message -----
            From: zanna90
            Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
            Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

            did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good


          • Bobby Hutchison
            Wow - Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOO much, Nick, for the link to the interview. I really enjoyed the excerpt that you included in the email and the entire (long
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Wow - Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOO much, Nick, for the link to the interview.  I really enjoyed the excerpt that you included in the email and the entire (long article) at the link you provided.  You are awesome.  I am more excited now than ever before after reading this interview.  I think Joss really has it right and although it's early days - wow - he's right on the money so far IMHO.
               
              Some of the ridiculous things we've heard in the rumor mill (such as a quite "mature" actress playing the part, etc.) are clearly being dealt with here.  She's going to be young.  He seems to really want to get the essence of her and I especially liked "She’s not going to look like Trinity. She’s going to look like Wonder Woman, but she’s just not going to be hokey."  Yay!!!!!! 

              Regarding the possibility of flying he said, "I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have a guy who flies. I don’t see her flying. She might jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will be because it came out really cool. And I have theories about how to make that work."  
              Interesting (and fine with me).  Basically the whole thing was interesting.  I am sure many of you will have other points from this interview that you will want to discuss.  But these things stood out to me. 
               
              I'm so thrilled with this interview (let's face it, we get so little!!!!) that I just want to spin around and around...and around. 
               
              Oh and one last thing.  You know what would be cool - is when members (all of us) know of something that will be coming on Television that would be of interest to the group (e.g. LC GMA interview, etc., etc.) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's share this with the group in advance so more people can watch and discuss.  It's so disapointing to read about something after the fact that more of us could have enjoyed.  If we all share info on WW, we can all be more in the loop and have better discussions. 
               
              Anyway, I'm thrilled with this interview...
               
              Bobby
               
              ----- Original Message -----
              Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 2:39 PM
              Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

              I think this is the interview mentioned...
               
               
               
              V. WONDER WOMAN:
              Flight and Height

              The teaser poster for the “Wonder Woman” feature Whedon will write and direct.  “I do not believe she will be flying,” he predicts.  “She might jump.  There could be some hopping.”  I understand you’ve not yet written a word of the “Wonder Woman” screenplay.
              Not too many words.

              Did you tell Warner Bros. you weren’t keen to deal with it until “Serenity” enters release?
              Not release. It’s not that I haven’t been working on it.

              You have been working on it?
              The way I work, I’m like a vulture. I circle and circle and then I dive. I usually don’t actually write anything until I know exactly how it’s going to turn out. I don’t “let the computer take me away.” I’m an absolute Nazi about structure. I make outlines. I make charts and graphs with colors.

              You’ve done that for “Wonder Woman”?
              Not for “Wonder Woman,” because I’m still working out the plot. But I’m finding the moments that matter; I’m finding the things that make the story really resonate; the things that I just can’t wait to film. I have great big questions to answer, but I’m in that beautiful, free-form poetical place where you just get to think up moments and see if they fit in your movie. And that’s almost more fun than anything. And that work, which is a vital part of what got me interested in doing the job in the first place, is being done.

              But I do have to see “Serenity” through. I’ll be finished with the movie within a month but I have to make sure it gets taken care of all the way through release. I have, in the past, found that I was able to do more than one thing at a time.

              Will Diana be able to fly under her own power, or will an invisible plane be involved?
              I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have a guy who flies. I don’t see her flying. She might jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will be because it came out really cool. And I have theories about how to make that work.

              You’ve said there will be “no star-spangled panties” like the ones Lynda Carter wore in the old TV series. Are you ruling out star-spangled miniskirts?
              Not exactly. The look that she’s sporting in DC Comics right now is closer to where I’d have her than the TV series, or the old look. The color scheme and the silhouette have to remain because they’re her. But the American flag is not what she’s going to be wearing.

              So you’re not ruling out minis?
              No. She’s still going to look like Wonder Woman. She’s not going to look like Trinity. She’s going to look like Wonder Woman, but she’s just not going to be hokey.

              In the teaser poster the eagle remains on her chestplate.
              The eagle is OK with me. Because it’s not like we invented them. It’s a lot less to swallow than the fact that Jor-El wears a big “S.” That bugged me.

              As you go about casting Diana, do you set a height requirement? How important is it that the Amazon princess be tall?
              It’s important. I’m looking for somebody statuesque, regal, beautiful, who can really act and do a lot of stunts with no elbow or knee pads. I’m asking a lot. So if I happen to find all those qualities in somebody who does not quite meet my height requirement, I will be casting some really short love interest. The height is definitely a part of the package. But the most important part? No. And the fact of the matter is, a woman stands as tall as she makes you think she is. For example, I always thought [“Buffy” writer-producer] Marti Noxon was four inches taller than she actually was. I just found that out last week.

              “Wonder Woman” producer Joel Silver prides himself on his casting acumen. Has he yet offered any suggestions?
              No. You know, we talked specifically about that. And the idea was always, “Write the part, and then we’ll figure it out.”

              You’ve also talked about her being very young. Are you thinking college-age? Teen-ager?
              I’d say that’s a pretty flexible thing because it’s her first time setting foot in the world of men. But that doesn’t necessarily mean she has to be a teen-ager. So, yes, they are thinking of a young woman. They’re thinking, I expect, of something franchise-able.

              Will it be appropriate to describe the “Wonder Woman” movie as a fish-out-of-water tale?
              I would say very much so.

              Will this be one of the key ways it distinguishes itself from other superhero movies?
              Yes, I think so. Ultimately, structurally, yes, that’s a big distinguishing factor, but I think there will be other elements that are specific to her. But then again, I haven’t seen the new “Batman” and I haven’t seen the script for “Supes” [Warner Bros.’ upcoming “Superman Returns” feature].

              Will Diana contend with a print-derived supervillain?
              At this point I’m looking at creating something a little different. I don’t think her rogues gallery necessarily offers me what I need. But that’s not a final decision, that’s just my instinct.


               
              Nick
               
               
               
               
              ----- Original Message -----
              Sent: 8/1/2005 5:00:34 PM
              Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

              Do you have a link?
               
              ----- Original Message -----
              From: zanna90
              Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
              Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

              did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good


            • Nick Nixon
              Actually, it was Ty (zanna90) that pointed to the article. I knew that it would be on whedonesque.com, so I went there and it was at the top of the page. It
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                Actually, it was Ty (zanna90) that pointed to the article. I knew that it would be on whedonesque.com, so I went there and it was at the top of the page.
                 
                It was a very good article and very heartening as you say. I feel much better about things, though I must say you can tell with some of his commenst about the costume that he is obviously aware that he has ruffled a few feathers with fans and is trying to smooth things over. It seems he "worded" things a little better than he has in past interviews... we'll put it that way!!!
                 
                As far as the flying, was it actually Whedon who mentioned that or was it Silver? I remember it being said...  that they were trying to figure out the whole "flying on air currents" thing and how they could translate it to screen. It may never have been him in the first place that wanted her to fly, I can't remember. Like you said Bobby, there has been SO MUCH said in the rumor mill and otherwise!
                 
                And that is a great idea about making sure we post about upcoming appearances, etc. I apologize for not doing so with the 20/20 interview, but I guess I assumed that most of the members here are members over at LyndaCarterFans Yahoo group as well. The guys over there are so GREAT about keeping up with stuff like that. I have a hard time doing it myself and I actually found out about it only fifteen minutes before it began because I checked my mail and someone over there posted about it.
                 
                Later,
                Nick
                 
                 
                 
                ----- Original Message -----
                Sent: 8/1/2005 6:11:02 PM
                Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                Wow - Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOO much, Nick, for the link to the interview.  I really enjoyed the excerpt that you included in the email and the entire (long article) at the link you provided.  You are awesome.  I am more excited now than ever before after reading this interview.  I think Joss really has it right and although it's early days - wow - he's right on the money so far IMHO.
                 
                Some of the ridiculous things we've heard in the rumor mill (such as a quite "mature" actress playing the part, etc.) are clearly being dealt with here.  She's going to be young.  He seems to really want to get the essence of her and I especially liked "She�s not going to look like Trinity. She�s going to look like Wonder Woman, but she�s just not going to be hokey."  Yay!!!!!! 

                Regarding the possibility of flying he said, "I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have a guy who flies. I don�t see her flying. She might jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will be because it came out really cool. And I have theories about how to make that work."  
                Interesting (and fine with me).  Basically the whole thing was interesting.  I am sure many of you will have other points from this interview that you will want to discuss.  But these things stood out to me. 
                 
                I'm so thrilled with this interview (let's face it, we get so little!!!!) that I just want to spin around and around...and around. 
                 
                Oh and one last thing.  You know what would be cool - is when members (all of us) know of something that will be coming on Television that would be of interest to the group (e.g. LC GMA interview, etc., etc.) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's share this with the group in advance so more people can watch and discuss.  It's so disapointing to read about something after the fact that more of us could have enjoyed.  If we all share info on WW, we can all be more in the loop and have better discussions. 
                 
                Anyway, I'm thrilled with this interview...
                 
                Bobby
                 
                ----- Original Message -----
                Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 2:39 PM
                Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                I think this is the interview mentioned...
                 
                 
                 
                V. WONDER WOMAN:
                Flight and Height

                The teaser poster for the �Wonder Woman� feature Whedon will write and direct.  �I do not believe she will be flying,� he predicts.  �She might jump.  There could be some hopping.�  I understand you�ve not yet written a word of the �Wonder Woman� screenplay.
                Not too many words.

                Did you tell Warner Bros. you weren�t keen to deal with it until �Serenity� enters release?
                Not release. It�s not that I haven�t been working on it.

                You have been working on it?
                The way I work, I�m like a vulture. I circle and circle and then I dive. I usually don�t actually write anything until I know exactly how it�s going to turn out. I don�t �let the computer take me away.� I�m an absolute Nazi about structure. I make outlines. I make charts and graphs with colors.

                You�ve done that for �Wonder Woman�?
                Not for �Wonder Woman,� because I�m still working out the plot. But I�m finding the moments that matter; I�m finding the things that make the story really resonate; the things that I just can�t wait to film. I have great big questions to answer, but I�m in that beautiful, free-form poetical place where you just get to think up moments and see if they fit in your movie. And that�s almost more fun than anything. And that work, which is a vital part of what got me interested in doing the job in the first place, is being done.

                But I do have to see �Serenity� through. I�ll be finished with the movie within a month but I have to make sure it gets taken care of all the way through release. I have, in the past, found that I was able to do more than one thing at a time.

                Will Diana be able to fly under her own power, or will an invisible plane be involved?
                I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have a guy who flies. I don�t see her flying. She might jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will be because it came out really cool. And I have theories about how to make that work.

                You�ve said there will be �no star-spangled panties� like the ones Lynda Carter wore in the old TV series. Are you ruling out star-spangled miniskirts?
                Not exactly. The look that she�s sporting in DC Comics right now is closer to where I�d have her than the TV series, or the old look. The color scheme and the silhouette have to remain because they�re her. But the American flag is not what she�s going to be wearing.

                So you�re not ruling out minis?
                No. She�s still going to look like Wonder Woman. She�s not going to look like Trinity. She�s going to look like Wonder Woman, but she�s just not going to be hokey.

                In the teaser poster the eagle remains on her chestplate.
                The eagle is OK with me. Because it�s not like we invented them. It�s a lot less to swallow than the fact that Jor-El wears a big �S.� That bugged me.

                As you go about casting Diana, do you set a height requirement? How important is it that the Amazon princess be tall?
                It�s important. I�m looking for somebody statuesque, regal, beautiful, who can really act and do a lot of stunts with no elbow or knee pads. I�m asking a lot. So if I happen to find all those qualities in somebody who does not quite meet my height requirement, I will be casting some really short love interest. The height is definitely a part of the package. But the most important part? No. And the fact of the matter is, a woman stands as tall as she makes you think she is. For example, I always thought [�Buffy� writer-producer] Marti Noxon was four inches taller than she actually was. I just found that out last week.

                �Wonder Woman� producer Joel Silver prides himself on his casting acumen. Has he yet offered any suggestions?
                No. You know, we talked specifically about that. And the idea was always, �Write the part, and then we�ll figure it out.�

                You�ve also talked about her being very young. Are you thinking college-age? Teen-ager?
                I�d say that�s a pretty flexible thing because it�s her first time setting foot in the world of men. But that doesn�t necessarily mean she has to be a teen-ager. So, yes, they are thinking of a young woman. They�re thinking, I expect, of something franchise-able.

                Will it be appropriate to describe the �Wonder Woman� movie as a fish-out-of-water tale?
                I would say very much so.

                Will this be one of the key ways it distinguishes itself from other superhero movies?
                Yes, I think so. Ultimately, structurally, yes, that�s a big distinguishing factor, but I think there will be other elements that are specific to her. But then again, I haven�t seen the new �Batman� and I haven�t seen the script for �Supes� [Warner Bros.� upcoming �Superman Returns� feature].

                Will Diana contend with a print-derived supervillain?
                At this point I�m looking at creating something a little different. I don�t think her rogues gallery necessarily offers me what I need. But that�s not a final decision, that�s just my instinct.


                 
                Nick
                 
                 
                 
                 
                ----- Original Message -----
                Sent: 8/1/2005 5:00:34 PM
                Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                Do you have a link?
                 
                ----- Original Message -----
                From: zanna90
                Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
                Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good


              • Chris
                I do not know how to think about Joss now. I mean on one hand, he wants to keep things from the comics, but at the same time it seems he wants to change
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  I do not know how to think about Joss now. I mean on
                  one hand, he wants to keep things from the comics, but
                  at the same time it seems he wants to change
                  everything. I just do not get it. I mean he wants to
                  change the costume but he wants to keep the costume
                  from the comics, he does not want it to be the
                  American flag, but he wants the eagle. I am confused.
                  ALSO, I received my copy of GAH season 3 today, so I
                  guess they released it a week early, Later
                  dudes!!!!!!!!!

                  Chris H

                  --- Nick Nixon <nick_773@...> wrote:

                  > I think this is the interview mentioned...
                  >
                  >
                  http://www.infocusmag.com/05augustseptember/whedonuncut.htm
                  >
                  >
                  > V. WONDER WOMAN:
                  > Flight and Height
                  > I understand you’ve not yet written a word of the
                  > “Wonder Woman” screenplay.
                  > Not too many words.
                  > Did you tell Warner Bros. you weren’t keen to deal
                  > with it until “Serenity” enters release?
                  > Not release. It’s not that I haven’t been working on
                  > it.
                  > You have been working on it?
                  > The way I work, I’m like a vulture. I circle and
                  > circle and then I dive. I usually don’t actually
                  > write anything until I know exactly how it’s going
                  > to turn out. I don’t “let the computer take me
                  > away.” I’m an absolute Nazi about structure. I make
                  > outlines. I make charts and graphs with colors.
                  > You’ve done that for “Wonder Woman”?
                  > Not for “Wonder Woman,” because I’m still working
                  > out the plot. But I’m finding the moments that
                  > matter; I’m finding the things that make the story
                  > really resonate; the things that I just can’t wait
                  > to film. I have great big questions to answer, but
                  > I’m in that beautiful, free-form poetical place
                  > where you just get to think up moments and see if
                  > they fit in your movie. And that’s almost more fun
                  > than anything. And that work, which is a vital part
                  > of what got me interested in doing the job in the
                  > first place, is being done.
                  > But I do have to see “Serenity” through. I’ll be
                  > finished with the movie within a month but I have to
                  > make sure it gets taken care of all the way through
                  > release. I have, in the past, found that I was able
                  > to do more than one thing at a time.
                  > Will Diana be able to fly under her own power, or
                  > will an invisible plane be involved?
                  > I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have
                  > a guy who flies. I don’t see her flying. She might
                  > jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in
                  > fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will
                  > be because it came out really cool. And I have
                  > theories about how to make that work.
                  > You’ve said there will be “no star-spangled panties”
                  > like the ones Lynda Carter wore in the old TV
                  > series. Are you ruling out star-spangled miniskirts?
                  > Not exactly. The look that she’s sporting in DC
                  > Comics right now is closer to where I’d have her
                  > than the TV series, or the old look. The color
                  > scheme and the silhouette have to remain because
                  > they’re her. But the American flag is not what she’s
                  > going to be wearing.
                  > So you’re not ruling out minis?
                  > No. She’s still going to look like Wonder Woman.
                  > She’s not going to look like Trinity. She’s going to
                  > look like Wonder Woman, but she’s just not going to
                  > be hokey.
                  > In the teaser poster the eagle remains on her
                  > chestplate.
                  > The eagle is OK with me. Because it’s not like we
                  > invented them. It’s a lot less to swallow than the
                  > fact that Jor-El wears a big “S.” That bugged me.
                  > As you go about casting Diana, do you set a height
                  > requirement? How important is it that the Amazon
                  > princess be tall?
                  > It’s important. I’m looking for somebody statuesque,
                  > regal, beautiful, who can really act and do a lot of
                  > stunts with no elbow or knee pads. I’m asking a lot.
                  > So if I happen to find all those qualities in
                  > somebody who does not quite meet my height
                  > requirement, I will be casting some really short
                  > love interest. The height is definitely a part of
                  > the package. But the most important part? No. And
                  > the fact of the matter is, a woman stands as tall as
                  > she makes you think she is. For example, I always
                  > thought [“Buffy” writer-producer] Marti Noxon was
                  > four inches taller than she actually was. I just
                  > found that out last week.
                  > “Wonder Woman” producer Joel Silver prides himself
                  > on his casting acumen. Has he yet offered any
                  > suggestions?
                  > No. You know, we talked specifically about that. And
                  > the idea was always, “Write the part, and then we’ll
                  > figure it out.”
                  > You’ve also talked about her being very young. Are
                  > you thinking college-age? Teen-ager?
                  > I’d say that’s a pretty flexible thing because it’s
                  > her first time setting foot in the world of men. But
                  > that doesn’t necessarily mean she has to be a
                  > teen-ager. So, yes, they are thinking of a young
                  > woman. They’re thinking, I expect, of something
                  > franchise-able.
                  > Will it be appropriate to describe the “Wonder
                  > Woman” movie as a fish-out-of-water tale?
                  > I would say very much so.
                  > Will this be one of the key ways it distinguishes
                  > itself from other superhero movies?
                  > Yes, I think so. Ultimately, structurally, yes,
                  > that’s a big distinguishing factor, but I think
                  > there will be other elements that are specific to
                  > her. But then again, I haven’t seen the new “Batman”
                  > and I haven’t seen the script for “Supes” [Warner
                  > Bros.’ upcoming “Superman Returns” feature].
                  > Will Diana contend with a print-derived
                  > supervillain?
                  > At this point I’m looking at creating something a
                  > little different. I don’t think her rogues gallery
                  > necessarily offers me what I need. But that’s not a
                  > final decision, that’s just my instinct.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Nick
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ----- Original Message -----
                  > From: Bobby Hutchison
                  > To: thewonderwoman_forum@yahoogroups.com
                  > Sent: 8/1/2005 5:00:34 PM
                  > Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon
                  >
                  >
                  > Do you have a link?
                  >
                  > ----- Original Message -----
                  > From: zanna90
                  > To: thewonderwoman_forum@yahoogroups.com
                  > Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
                  > Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon
                  >
                  >
                  > did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog
                  > page its quite good
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > Visit your group "thewonderwoman_forum" on the web.
                  >
                  > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  > thewonderwoman_forum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                  > Terms of Service.




                  ____________________________________________________
                  Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Bobby Hutchison
                  Hi Chris, Well the Eagle isn t on the American flag...I m not too overly concerned about the seeming contradictions in all of the things that you refer to. I
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Chris,
                     
                    Well the Eagle isn't on the American flag...I'm not too overly concerned about the seeming contradictions in all of the things that you refer to.  I think it's quite early on and he's cooking up a lot in his head, plus the way things get reported...well it may seem pretty chaotic.  I am not going to be overly anxious.  I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. 
                     
                    Best,
                     
                    Bobby
                     
                    ----- Original Message -----
                    From: Chris
                    Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 5:18 PM
                    Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                    I do not know how to think about Joss now.  I mean on
                    one hand, he wants to keep things from the comics, but
                    at the same time it seems he wants to change
                    everything.  I just do not get it.  I mean he wants to
                    change the costume but he wants to keep the costume
                    from the comics, he does not want it to be the
                    American flag, but he wants the eagle.  I am confused.
                    ALSO, I received my copy of GAH season 3 today, so I
                    guess they released it a week early,  Later
                    dudes!!!!!!!!!

                    Chris H

                    --- Nick Nixon <nick_773@...> wrote:

                    > I think this is the interview mentioned...
                    >
                    >
                    http://www.infocusmag.com/05augustseptember/whedonuncut.htm
                    >
                    >
                    > V. WONDER WOMAN:
                    > Flight and Height
                    > I understand you’ve not yet written a word of the
                    > “Wonder Woman” screenplay.
                    > Not too many words.
                    > Did you tell Warner Bros. you weren’t keen to deal
                    > with it until “Serenity” enters release?
                    > Not release. It’s not that I haven’t been working on
                    > it.
                    > You have been working on it?
                    > The way I work, I’m like a vulture. I circle and
                    > circle and then I dive. I usually don’t actually
                    > write anything until I know exactly how it’s going
                    > to turn out. I don’t “let the computer take me
                    > away.” I’m an absolute Nazi about structure. I make
                    > outlines. I make charts and graphs with colors.
                    > You’ve done that for “Wonder Woman”?
                    > Not for “Wonder Woman,” because I’m still working
                    > out the plot. But I’m finding the moments that
                    > matter; I’m finding the things that make the story
                    > really resonate; the things that I just can’t wait
                    > to film. I have great big questions to answer, but
                    > I’m in that beautiful, free-form poetical place
                    > where you just get to think up moments and see if
                    > they fit in your movie. And that’s almost more fun
                    > than anything. And that work, which is a vital part
                    > of what got me interested in doing the job in the
                    > first place, is being done.
                    > But I do have to see “Serenity” through. I’ll be
                    > finished with the movie within a month but I have to
                    > make sure it gets taken care of all the way through
                    > release. I have, in the past, found that I was able
                    > to do more than one thing at a time.
                    > Will Diana be able to fly under her own power, or
                    > will an invisible plane be involved?
                    > I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have
                    > a guy who flies. I don’t see her flying. She might
                    > jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in
                    > fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will
                    > be because it came out really cool. And I have
                    > theories about how to make that work.
                    > You’ve said there will be “no star-spangled panties”
                    > like the ones Lynda Carter wore in the old TV
                    > series. Are you ruling out star-spangled miniskirts?
                    > Not exactly. The look that she’s sporting in DC
                    > Comics right now is closer to where I’d have her
                    > than the TV series, or the old look. The color
                    > scheme and the silhouette have to remain because
                    > they’re her. But the American flag is not what she’s
                    > going to be wearing.
                    > So you’re not ruling out minis?
                    > No. She’s still going to look like Wonder Woman.
                    > She’s not going to look like Trinity. She’s going to
                    > look like Wonder Woman, but she’s just not going to
                    > be hokey.
                    > In the teaser poster the eagle remains on her
                    > chestplate.
                    > The eagle is OK with me. Because it’s not like we
                    > invented them. It’s a lot less to swallow than the
                    > fact that Jor-El wears a big “S.” That bugged me.
                    > As you go about casting Diana, do you set a height
                    > requirement? How important is it that the Amazon
                    > princess be tall?
                    > It’s important. I’m looking for somebody statuesque,
                    > regal, beautiful, who can really act and do a lot of
                    > stunts with no elbow or knee pads. I’m asking a lot.
                    > So if I happen to find all those qualities in
                    > somebody who does not quite meet my height
                    > requirement, I will be casting some really short
                    > love interest. The height is definitely a part of
                    > the package. But the most important part? No. And
                    > the fact of the matter is, a woman stands as tall as
                    > she makes you think she is. For example, I always
                    > thought [“Buffy” writer-producer] Marti Noxon was
                    > four inches taller than she actually was. I just
                    > found that out last week.
                    > “Wonder Woman” producer Joel Silver prides himself
                    > on his casting acumen. Has he yet offered any
                    > suggestions?
                    > No. You know, we talked specifically about that. And
                    > the idea was always, “Write the part, and then we’ll
                    > figure it out.”
                    > You’ve also talked about her being very young. Are
                    > you thinking college-age? Teen-ager?
                    > I’d say that’s a pretty flexible thing because it’s
                    > her first time setting foot in the world of men. But
                    > that doesn’t necessarily mean she has to be a
                    > teen-ager. So, yes, they are thinking of a young
                    > woman. They’re thinking, I expect, of something
                    > franchise-able.
                    > Will it be appropriate to describe the “Wonder
                    > Woman” movie as a fish-out-of-water tale?
                    > I would say very much so.
                    > Will this be one of the key ways it distinguishes
                    > itself from other superhero movies?
                    > Yes, I think so. Ultimately, structurally, yes,
                    > that’s a big distinguishing factor, but I think
                    > there will be other elements that are specific to
                    > her. But then again, I haven’t seen the new “Batman”
                    > and I haven’t seen the script for “Supes” [Warner
                    > Bros.’ upcoming “Superman Returns” feature].
                    > Will Diana contend with a print-derived
                    > supervillain?
                    > At this point I’m looking at creating something a
                    > little different. I don’t think her rogues gallery
                    > necessarily offers me what I need. But that’s not a
                    > final decision, that’s just my instinct.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Nick
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > ----- Original Message -----
                    > From: Bobby Hutchison
                    > To: thewonderwoman_forum@yahoogroups.com
                    > Sent: 8/1/2005 5:00:34 PM
                    > Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon
                    >
                    >
                    > Do you have a link?
                    >
                    > ----- Original Message -----
                    > From: zanna90
                    > To: thewonderwoman_forum@yahoogroups.com
                    > Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
                    > Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon
                    >
                    >
                    > did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog
                    > page its quite good
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >
                    >  Visit your group "thewonderwoman_forum" on the web.
                    >  
                    >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    >  thewonderwoman_forum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    >  
                    >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                    > Terms of Service.



                               
                    ____________________________________________________
                    Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Chris
                    I could not agree more Bobby!!!! Chris H ... ____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment
                      I could not agree more Bobby!!!!

                      Chris H

                      > Oh and one last thing. You know what would be cool
                      > - is when members (all of us) know of something that
                      > will be coming on Television that would be of
                      > interest to the group (e.g. LC GMA interview, etc.,
                      > etc.) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's share this with the
                      > group in advance so more people can watch and
                      > discuss. It's so disapointing to read about
                      > something after the fact that more of us could have
                      > enjoyed. If we all share info on WW, we can all be
                      > more in the loop and have better discussions.
                      >
                      > Anyway, I'm thrilled with this interview...
                      >
                      > Bobby



                      ____________________________________________________
                      Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Chris
                      I did not mean it is on the flag, I just meant it is the symbol for the nation. I do hope for teh best with EVERYTHING I read on-line, but when it is in an
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I did not mean it is on the flag, I just meant it is
                        the symbol for the nation. I do hope for teh best
                        with EVERYTHING I read on-line, but when it is in an
                        interview with Joss, it makes me wonder more. Still,
                        I WILL see the film, then pass my judgment. I mean, I
                        hate Nicholas Cage, usually will NOT watch any of his
                        films, but I will see GHOST RIDER next year & decide
                        what I think of it. I just wish they would get it out
                        sooner than NEXT August, with the photography being
                        COMPLETE already.

                        Chris H

                        --- Bobby Hutchison <bobby_hutchison@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Chris,
                        >
                        > Well the Eagle isn't on the American flag...I'm not
                        > too overly concerned about the seeming
                        > contradictions in all of the things that you refer
                        > to. I think it's quite early on and he's cooking up
                        > a lot in his head, plus the way things get
                        > reported...well it may seem pretty chaotic. I am
                        > not going to be overly anxious. I am looking
                        > forward to seeing what he comes up with.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Bobby



                        ____________________________________________________
                        Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Carol Campbell
                        ... Dear Nick and Everybody, I have to be honest with all of you, this interview/weblog does not fill me with great confidence. I think these responses were as
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- Nick Nixon <nick_773@...> wrote:

                          > I think this is the interview mentioned...
                          >
                          > http://www.infocusmag.com/05augustseptember/whedonuncut.htm

                          Dear Nick and Everybody,
                          I have to be honest with all of you, this
                          interview/weblog does not fill me with great confidence. I think
                          these responses were as flaky as a bowl of cereal.Whedon is suppose
                          to be a writer and these answers were punched out on a keyboard? <big
                          deep, sigh> I guess I'm becoming more of an old fart than I ever
                          realized. Does this man truly understand the passions that the WW
                          fans possess? I am not a happy camper.....

                          Carol.....joy(less)

                          "Art, like morality, consists by drawing the line somewhere."
                          - G.K. Chesterton
                        • Georgeo
                          I agree with you Bobby. This interview is really reassuring. And it is a very good one. Mr. Whedon as in the beginning knows what he wants and what he is
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I agree with you Bobby. This interview is really reassuring. And it is a very good one. Mr. Whedon as in the beginning knows what he wants and what he is doing. I thought of the possibility that many of the things he have said about Wonder Woman have been taken out of context. Like the "star-spangled panties" issue. It didn't make sense to me that the first things he said about the project were so on the money and suddenly nothing made sense. Now we know he does not want an over sexualized Wonder Woman and God Bless him for that! Plus, he is keeping the elements that make her Wonder Woman, and I say we all love you for that! He is using a Rucka inspired designs, and I say hooray! I think Rucka style is very good. I am happy, very happy with this interview!!!!!!!!
                             
                            I am also very happy that he is keeping with his promise of writing the script first and then cast the part. I think that is the best way to do it. It will give him more liberty and more freedom to do his vision as he sees it, not as others see it. And I am very glad he is not letting anybody tell him what he should do, even Joel Silver!
                             
                            About her not flying, I am also ok with that. He is going to have her jumping and that's cool. That is what the original Wonder Woman did and very suitable for the first movie. If he nails the bracelet deflecting (he can be very clever with this) and the lasso is done properly (you know, very high-tech) I will be more than ok with her not flying. Actually it will work. And I would love to see the invisible plane. If he asked me (and I know he would not), I would say to him look at Alex Ross design for the plane in "Spirit of Truth" that is the coolest invisible plane design ever! And the way I always imagined a real life invisible plane would look like.
                             
                            Wow! Thanks for posting the interview Nick! I am very happy indeed. We are still on track after all. And my hopes for the project and my faith in Joss Whedon have returned!!!!
                             
                            Jorge
                            PS: I also agree, if someone knows of an interview or a TV event with Lynda, please share. Some of us are very absentminded and miss this things!

                            Bobby Hutchison <bobby_hutchison@...> wrote:
                            Wow - Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOO much, Nick, for the link to the interview.  I really enjoyed the excerpt that you included in the email and the entire (long article) at the link you provided.  You are awesome.  I am more excited now than ever before after reading this interview.  I think Joss really has it right and although it's early days - wow - he's right on the money so far IMHO.
                             
                            Some of the ridiculous things we've heard in the rumor mill (such as a quite "mature" actress playing the part, etc.) are clearly being dealt with here.  She's going to be young.  He seems to really want to get the essence of her and I especially liked "She’s not going to look like Trinity. She’s going to look like Wonder Woman, but she’s just not going to be hokey."  Yay!!!!!! 

                            Regarding the possibility of flying he said, "I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have a guy who flies. I don’t see her flying. She might jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will be because it came out really cool. And I have theories about how to make that work."  
                            Interesting (and fine with me).  Basically the whole thing was interesting.  I am sure many of you will have other points from this interview that you will want to discuss.  But these things stood out to me. 
                             
                            I'm so thrilled with this interview (let's face it, we get so little!!!!) that I just want to spin around and around...and around. 
                             
                            Oh and one last thing.  You know what would be cool - is when members (all of us) know of something that will be coming on Television that would be of interest to the group (e.g. LC GMA interview, etc., etc.) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's share this with the group in advance so more people can watch and discuss.  It's so disapointing to read about something after the fact that more of us could have enjoyed.  If we all share info on WW, we can all be more in the loop and have better discussions. 
                             
                            Anyway, I'm thrilled with this interview...
                             
                            Bobby
                             
                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 2:39 PM
                            Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                            I think this is the interview mentioned...
                             
                             
                             
                            V. WONDER WOMAN:
                            Flight and Height

                            The teaser poster for the “Wonder Woman” feature Whedon will write and direct.  “I do not believe she will be flying,” he predicts.  “She might jump.  There could be some hopping.”  I understand you’ve not yet written a word of the “Wonder Woman” screenplay.
                            Not too many words.

                            Did you tell Warner Bros. you weren’t keen to deal with it until “Serenity” enters release?
                            Not release. It’s not that I haven’t been working on it.

                            You have been working on it?
                            The way I work, I’m like a vulture. I circle and circle and then I dive. I usually don’t actually write anything until I know exactly how it’s going to turn out. I don’t “let the computer take me away.” I’m an absolute Nazi about structure. I make outlines. I make charts and graphs with colors.

                            You’ve done that for “Wonder Woman”?
                            Not for “Wonder Woman,” because I’m still working out the plot. But I’m finding the moments that matter; I’m finding the things that make the story really resonate; the things that I just can’t wait to film. I have great big questions to answer, but I’m in that beautiful, free-form poetical place where you just get to think up moments and see if they fit in your movie. And that’s almost more fun than anything. And that work, which is a vital part of what got me interested in doing the job in the first place, is being done.

                            But I do have to see “Serenity” through. I’ll be finished with the movie within a month but I have to make sure it gets taken care of all the way through release. I have, in the past, found that I was able to do more than one thing at a time.

                            Will Diana be able to fly under her own power, or will an invisible plane be involved?
                            I do not believe she will be flying. I think we have a guy who flies. I don’t see her flying. She might jump. There could be some hopping. And there may in fact be an invisible plane. But if there is, it will be because it came out really cool. And I have theories about how to make that work.

                            You’ve said there will be “no star-spangled panties” like the ones Lynda Carter wore in the old TV series. Are you ruling out star-spangled miniskirts?
                            Not exactly. The look that she’s sporting in DC Comics right now is closer to where I’d have her than the TV series, or the old look. The color scheme and the silhouette have to remain because they’re her. But the American flag is not what she’s going to be wearing.

                            So you’re not ruling out minis?
                            No. She’s still going to look like Wonder Woman. She’s not going to look like Trinity. She’s going to look like Wonder Woman, but she’s just not going to be hokey.

                            In the teaser poster the eagle remains on her chestplate.
                            The eagle is OK with me. Because it’s not like we invented them. It’s a lot less to swallow than the fact that Jor-El wears a big “S.” That bugged me.

                            As you go about casting Diana, do you set a height requirement? How important is it that the Amazon princess be tall?
                            It’s important. I’m looking for somebody statuesque, regal, beautiful, who can really act and do a lot of stunts with no elbow or knee pads. I’m asking a lot. So if I happen to find all those qualities in somebody who does not quite meet my height requirement, I will be casting some really short love interest. The height is definitely a part of the package. But the most important part? No. And the fact of the matter is, a woman stands as tall as she makes you think she is. For example, I always thought [“Buffy” writer-producer] Marti Noxon was four inches taller than she actually was. I just found that out last week.

                            “Wonder Woman” producer Joel Silver prides himself on his casting acumen. Has he yet offered any suggestions?
                            No. You know, we talked specifically about that. And the idea was always, “Write the part, and then we’ll figure it out.”

                            You’ve also talked about her being very young. Are you thinking college-age? Teen-ager?
                            I’d say that’s a pretty flexible thing because it’s her first time setting foot in the world of men. But that doesn’t necessarily mean she has to be a teen-ager. So, yes, they are thinking of a young woman. They’re thinking, I expect, of something franchise-able.

                            Will it be appropriate to describe the “Wonder Woman” movie as a fish-out-of-water tale?
                            I would say very much so.

                            Will this be one of the key ways it distinguishes itself from other superhero movies?
                            Yes, I think so. Ultimately, structurally, yes, that’s a big distinguishing factor, but I think there will be other elements that are specific to her. But then again, I haven’t seen the new “Batman” and I haven’t seen the script for “Supes” [Warner Bros.’ upcoming “Superman Returns” feature].

                            Will Diana contend with a print-derived supervillain?
                            At this point I’m looking at creating something a little different. I don’t think her rogues gallery necessarily offers me what I need. But that’s not a final decision, that’s just my instinct.


                             
                            Nick
                             
                             
                             
                             
                            ----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: 8/1/2005 5:00:34 PM
                            Subject: Re: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                            Do you have a link?
                             
                            ----- Original Message -----
                            From: zanna90
                            Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 1:35 PM
                            Subject: [thewonderwoman_forum] joss whedon

                            did anyone read the interview he gave on his weblog page its quite good



                            Yahoo! Mail
                            Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour
                          • Georgeo
                            I believe some things he have said have been taken out of context. Like now we know what he meant by no star-spangled panties. He meant he is not going to have
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                            • 0 Attachment
                              I believe some things he have said have been taken out of context. Like now we know what he meant by no star-spangled panties. He meant he is not going to have her running in a thong. And you know there have been designs that have been, well, extremely short and revealing in that department. Remember Deodato? So I agree with Whedon there, please do not have her running in panties!
                               
                              As for the flag, you see I have never seen Wonder Woman as wrapped in the american flag. The Golden Age Wonder Woman, yes. But the Modern Age Wonder Woman, no. See the designs of John Byrne, Alex Ross, Adam Hughes and even Justice League Wonder Woman. She is wearing the basic elements but it is not the flag. And as you said, there is the national symbols elements. But those combined with the classic elements of Wonder Woman created an unique design that is hers. As I always say, where is the gold with red stars in our national symbols? And he says in the interview that he is keeping all the elements that makes her. So, you see, it is all in how you say it and how is printed. Editing comments can be a killer of ideas. The person conveys something and what is printed conveys the opposite. I knew somehow things were being taken out of context. But I did explode at first like all of us did. We are so passionate about Wonder Woman, and I love it!!!!!
                               
                              Jorge

                              Chris <chris_h71@...> wrote:
                              I did not mean it is on the flag, I just meant it is
                              the symbol for the nation.  I do hope for teh best
                              with EVERYTHING I read on-line, but when it is in an
                              interview with Joss, it makes me wonder more.  Still,
                              I WILL see the film, then pass my judgment.  I mean, I
                              hate Nicholas Cage, usually will NOT watch any of his
                              films, but I will see GHOST RIDER next year & decide
                              what I think of it.  I just wish they would get it out
                              sooner than NEXT August, with the photography being
                              COMPLETE already.

                              Chris H

                              --- Bobby Hutchison <bobby_hutchison@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Chris,
                              >
                              > Well the Eagle isn't on the American flag...I'm not
                              > too overly concerned about the seeming
                              > contradictions in all of the things that you refer
                              > to.  I think it's quite early on and he's cooking up
                              > a lot in his head, plus the way things get
                              > reported...well it may seem pretty chaotic.  I am
                              > not going to be overly anxious.  I am looking
                              > forward to seeing what he comes up with. 
                              >
                              > Best,
                              >
                              > Bobby


                                         
                              ____________________________________________________
                              Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs


                              Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.