      From: peterdegret <P-D-Gret@...>
      To: darci386 <darci386@...>
      Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:59 AM
      Subject: Re: Why Do Men Love Flag Bikinis?

      The author missed a lot and tended to replace it with very shallow reasoning. Most women buy flag bikinis because it's the Fourth of July and they want to be noticed. A few men may associate the flag with motherhood and patriotism, but when it's on a bikini, they're looking at T&A. Marston himself was a self promoting narcissist. Wonder Woman's colors were a way of selling the character. Since he was a god unto himself, he owed no real loyalty to anyone or anything. If he thought it was more profitable, she would have worn swastikas.

      That why most people look at and wear the flag in real life. Fiction has additional factors.

      With books and movies you have a choice to look or not to look. Reading a Wonder Woman or Captain America comic can be avoided quite easily. 40s bond rallies and patriotic themed movies were not mandatory.

      This sort of brings about one of the few exceptions. A guy working his regular 48 hours a week, and then goes to a bond rally after helping out with a rubber drive, may feel different about seeing a woman dressed in a flag outfit. 40s pin up girls inspired a lot of guys in more ways than just T&A. That was a different time, and a different sensibility.

      Peter

      --- In thewonderwoman_forum@yahoogroups.com, "darci386" <darci386@...> wrote:

      > Anyone notice the Yahoo news yesterday?  In a Fourth of July-related article, Piper Weiss wrote:
      >
      > "But the real dawn of patriotic swimwear, and perhaps the reason why it's still loved today, can be traced to 1941 when a psychologist named William Multon Marston created the comic book character Wonder Woman. She may have worn a once-piece back then, but it wasn't Modestwear.
      >
      > "Marston's superhero was designed to have "all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman." In sense, she was the perfect woman, who fought evil through love, not fists. Her weapon, the lasso of truth, turned those captive into blubbering men, powerless to their own honest impulses.
      >
      > "Kate Upton, anyone? ("We apologize in advance for your decreased productivity," tweets GQ along with more images of Upton from the July Issue.)
      >
      > "But to be completely fair, GQ wasn't the first magazine to put a girl in flag swimwear on its cover. Neither was the now defunct George, which plastered Gisele Bundchen across newsstands back in the early '90s.
      >
      > "It was Gloria Steinem's Ms. Magazine. On the cover of the first issue in 1972, Wonder Woman wears a particularly scant one-piece swimsuit decorated in stars and stripes. Above her, the cover line reads "Wonder Woman for President." It was an attempt save the female superhero from the clutches of fanboys and to remake her into a image of female potential for young girls.
      >
      > "Four decades later, I've been assigned to write a story for a women's website about why men love women in flag bikinis knowing full-well that most people will click on this story to look at photos of women in flag bikinis. I'm not sure if Ms. won out."
      >
      > The complete article is at http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/fashion/why-men-love-flag-bikinis-005100093.html

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic