6612WONDER WOMAN # 7 Review from theouthouseres.com

  • Raffy
    Mar 23, 2012
      Like many wonder fans, I was shocked by the secret history of the New52 Amazons. They're definitely not the heroic race that the Marstonian Amazons were. And although I was expecting more shocks to come, I certainly never thought they would be this unlikable. For if the Amazons behaved this way through the centuries, then it does put into question what Wonder Woman's mission and responsibilities are as their champion to the outside world. Is it just to "fight evil"? Is it to stop Ares?? I certianly cannot see her role as Ambassador if the Amazons has this stance towards the outside world. However, there is another way of looking at all this.... http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/18758-review-wonder-woman-7.html
      Review: Wonder Woman #7

      Written by Christian Hoffer

      Comics Reviews

      A review of the latest issue of Wonder Woman!

      Comic Review Cover
      Credits & Solicit Info:

      Remember the myth of Orpheus? Wonder Woman certainly does. And we hope she's learned its lessons well, because someone she dearly loves is in Hell's clutches – and she's the only one who can mount a rescue mission! But Hades has no mercy, even for his own family – in fact, especially for his own family – and he doesn't intend to let her walk out of his domain without paying a terrible price!

      Written by: Brian Azzarello
      Pencilled by: Cliff Chiang
      Inked by: Cliff Chiang
      Cover Color by: Cliff Chiang
      Lettered by: Jared K. Fletcher

      Review:

      In Wonder Woman #7, Diana, Hermes and Lennox, accompanied by Eros, visit Hephaestus, the god of the forge, to arm themselves for a trip to Hell. While there, they discover a shocking secret of the Amazons, namely that there are male Amazons working in the forges of Hephaestus. While I won't spoil the most sordid details of how the male Amazons are made, the shocking secret proves to Diana just how flawed Amazon culture truly was. What really stands out in this issue is Diana's reaction to why the male Amazons are working for Hephaestus. Whereas the Amazon tribe might have rejected their brothers, Diana sees them as family and predictably tries to rescue them from a threat that might not even exist.

      There's been a bit of hullabaloo about this issue, which continues the Amazon Princess's tour throughout DC's Greek pantheon. Unsurprisingly, several bloggers have protested that Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang's depiction of the Amazons have somehow sullied the character of Wonder Woman and demeaned her as a character. However, from what I read in the issue, the Amazon tribe's flaws only serve to strengthen Diana's character and make her stand out from her flawed sisters.

      The controversy in the issue stems from the heartless and callous attitude the Amazons show to their male offspring. Incorrectly, some bloggers have claimed that this sordid revelation has diminished Diana's moral character since Paradise Island is no longer as idyllic as it was pre new-52. At the end of the issue, the Amazons' actions only serve to strengthen Diana's resolve and highlight what a great character she is. Wonder Woman has always been an independent woman and a character of principle. If anything, the fact that she flat out rejects the crimes of her people and immediately seeks retribution makes her as strong as ever.

      If some overzealous bloggers refuse to see what a fantastic book this is because the creators choose to depict the Amazons as something other than perfect, than they are simply missing the forest because of the trees. Perhaps the funniest part of this latest drummed-up controversy is that the Amazons of myth also rejected their male offspring, choosing to kill them by exposure rather than letting them live. As usual, Azzarello and Chiang have knocked it out of the park with a fantastic issue that ends far too soon.
      www.theouthousers.com
      The Greatest Comic Book Website featuring comic book news, reviews, previews, interviews, feature articles, blogs, and the greatest comics forum on the internet!

      Your Favorite Comics are available at:COMICS CONSPIRACY !!115-A E. Fremont Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94087(408) 245-6275"Not Just Another Mutant Hangout!"
      .