Are MP3s enough? Or do you still need real CDs? Your opinion please...

  • mystical sun
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
      I am in a quandry. I have been releasing electronic music since early
      1990. The goal until the age of MP3 was to record and album of music,
      press it and release it through the channels. This it turns out was
      always a big headache. Dealing with distributors and shipping product
      takes time away from making music. I sold over 5000 copies of my first
      CD release "Primordial Atmospheres" on my own. Last year I ran out of
      CDs and since I have not re-ordered more. Here is why, there is this
      little site, you might have heard of it, MP3.COM. At first I was
      concerned that putting tracks up there might not be the best idea, so I
      tested the waters with just a few, thinking it would help sales in the
      traditional channels. Then MP3.COM started this thing called Payback
      for Playback. It turns out that I have done very well, in fact, I have
      done far better in the last year then all the years of my traditional
      CDs sales combined. So now I am really wondering if it is worth
      releasing my material through the standard channels at all? What is
      your thinking, yes make CDs? No, don't MP3s are good enough.

      http://www.mp3.com/mysticalsun
      electronic:trance:ambient:soundscapes:film
    • wmvrrvrrmm@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2000
        In a message dated 04/11/2000 03:12:36, mysticalsun@... writes:

        << I am in a quandry. I have been releasing electronic music since early
        1990. The goal until the age of MP3 was to record and album of music,
        press it and release it through the channels. This it turns out was
        always a big headache. >>

        I love the booklets and the artwork that come with the CD though. I even like
        the minidiscs. I like the idea of a whole product for merchandising, it has a
        nice vibe. I'd be afraid that I'd accidently delete my MP3s.

        <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/wmvrrvrrmm/">The Wmmvrrvrrmm Place !</A>
        The art and writings of Dominic (wmmvrrvrrmm) Kulcsar

        <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/velvet_belly_uk/">The Velvet Belly Page</A>
        An unofficial fansite dedicated to the Norwegian band Velvet Belly
      • sunfish
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2000
          What is
          > your thinking, yes make CDs? No, don't MP3s are good enough.
          >
          > http://www.mp3.com/mysticalsun
          > electronic:trance:ambient:soundscapes:film
          Hi I'm a 'denizen' of mp3.com and have been since I came on line. I remember
          your name- you are in a 'genre' (I flipping hate those genres) that allows
          best for 'brain to ear' communication. Electronics is relatively new- so is
          compression and the cd is where it all ends anyway for a while- I gather
          stuff and some ends up burnt to cdr eventually, or I buy the 'DAM' cd. it's
          all quite enjoyable and enlightening I will join in very soon- so I'm
          biased. I do wonder what other's cdr file would sound like sometimes- I
          feel this technology has a way to go yet.
          I like to see the graphics though. I hope that people won't neglect the
          young cover artists if they have the money- just because it's your page-
          doesn't mean you can't use others for the visual bits?