Ball If You Wanna, But Do It With Some Class G

  • Ryan Whitehead
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
      No mention yet of the new new OutKast "Stankonia" (album of the year and a
      new peak in their ouevre imho)? I thought it was a weak game in '98 when
      David Toop listed Aquemini and Ancient Termites as his albums of the year,
      yet the wire made no aknowledgement (that I was aware of) of OutKast. Fact:
      they're making some of the most exciting modern popular music today--really
      troubling the blood brain barrier. In many ways, Stankonia is a slum
      looking-glass to the cosmopolitan world of Arto Lindsay: what, for Arto,
      exists theoretically in the hips & ass but mainly shakes the brain is
      inverted. He claims he'll "fuck until the dawn" . . . but you know it's
      going to be a dissection of the moment. When Dre (or should I say Possum
      Alloisius Jenkins the Third/Andre 3000) says he'll make love to your every
      molecule, you quake with anticipation, perhaps despite your avowed gonadal
      preference. Not to stretch the connection to tautly--they're very different.
      Beyond a mood tangent and the common ground of a highly listenable
      cracking in barriers, the main point is this: why one and not the other? I
      don't buy the "we can only cover so much" argument: we've all gotta choose
      our ground, and this is a slum you absolutely want to include. Are OutKast,
      for some reason, too main stream? I don't think that's the right critique
      when the wire features Timbaland. So what's the source of the neglect?
      Timbaland is primarily a producer, so perhaps there's sufficient separation
      from the sentiment of songs--we're just impressed with the production values
      and we can removedly wink and sigh at the mention of 'booty clubs' and what
      not? This can't be right either, because DJ Assault gets laudatory remark.
      But he's so over the top that he's cartoon. The most righteous movement in
      the trajectory from Sly & The Family & Jimi & The Isleys & The Atomic Dog &
      G-Funk & Gil Scott & Prince . . . So what gives?

      Incredible sonic and lyrical richness . . . few intelligent rappers are so
      able to live up to their own elevated claims, they tell and it never
      manifests. OutKast lay it out--who else turns foreign policy into a wicked
      jam (Bombs over Baghdad--a show don't tell message in and of itself), or
      lays out the flushed vague/specific image "Sade is on the tape deck/i'm
      moving in slow motion" as clear brilliant as wcw's red wheelbarrow in the
      rain.

      neglect it and lose out.

      rw out*

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • pozuga@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
        ryan wrote:

        >OutKast. Fact:
        >they're making some of the most exciting modern
        >popular music today

        and they're pretty snappy dressers to boot. i could be wrong but i think
        there was an OutKast review in the hiphop section of one of the recent issues.

        carlos
      • jamello@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
          Ha...I don't know where you're located but here in the States I haven't been
          able to pick up ANY music/lifestyle/culture magazine during the past few
          months that DIDN'T have a huge OutKast feature story.

          The fact that The Wire has not (yet) jumped on the bandwagon is not
          necessarily reason for conspiracy theories. Besides, they REALLY NEED the
          space to squeeze in their 1,864th Derik Bailey CD review ;-)
        • Ryan Whitehead
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
            >Ha...I don't know where you're located but here in the States I haven't
            >been
            >able to pick up ANY music/lifestyle/culture magazine during the past few
            >months that DIDN'T have a huge OutKast feature story.

            This was kindof my point--why wasn't the wire hip to this before magazines
            as downstream as newsweek? it would be nice to read an intelligent piece,
            not just the schlock. i'm not sure that the glut is a reason to ignore a
            phenomenon--if it's relevant, it's relevant. it's just reason to do
            something new with it. all articles out there rehash the same crap. and with
            a readership that (total assumption here) generally considers the mainstream
            to be directly pumped with sewage, there's the risk that OutKast will be
            lumped with the dreck--Sisqo, DMX, etc. I mean, their name on the cover of
            Rolling Stone was right next to Limp Bizkit's. And as I said, David Toop was
            the only one to make mention of Aquemini in the 98 rewind. Look at the 98
            rewind list: Black Star, Mix Master Mike, Money Mark, Dj Disk--these are the
            albums they pull out of the hip hop vein, and the only one near Aquemini is
            Disk. Black Star's good but tires out quickly in comparison. There seems to
            be a preference for hip hop that looks to the old skool (with the exception
            of Anti Pop) in the Wire. Look at the rest of the albums on the rewind--i've
            got a good many of them and i've heard pretty much all the rest, and I feel
            confident in this proclamation . . . The Pulp, Sonic Youth, Derek Bailey,
            Royal Trux, Mercury Rev, and virtually every other album on the list
            (exceptions: Conrad, David Ware, and Dreyblatt) aren't up there . . . Many
            of the artists listed have done work of Aquemini's calibre, but these
            records aren't. Put it up there with the best of breed: Daydream Nation,
            Sweet Sixteen, Aida, etc. And Stankonia surpases Aquemini.

            for now i'll take my avowed biases and check out,
            rw

            http://profiles.msn.com