Guitar Trio

  • Gareth Bowles
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
      Did anyone else read Lee Ranaldo's description of Rhys
      Chatham, Glenn Branca & co. playing "Guitar Trio" at
      the back of the last issue and think that this sounds
      like the best piece of music ever played ? Did the
      ensemble ever record it ? I have Band of Susans'
      (pretty rockin') version, but somehow I have to have
      the original ...

      -Gareth-

      From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
      http://experts.yahoo.com/
    • Andrew Littlefield
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
        There's a Rhys Chatham alb from the late eighties on Homestead (called
        something like 'Der Gotterdammerung') that includes a version of 'Guitar
        Trio' performed by Chatham, Robert Longo and Susan Stenger - is this the
        Band of Susans version you mention? Whatever, it doesn't sound much like the
        'sonic apocalypse' that Ranaldo described, more like The Feelies.

        > ----------

      • Kvetner Spoog
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
          --- In thewire@egroups.com, Andrew Littlefield
          <Andrew.Littlefield@j...> wrote:
          > There's a Rhys Chatham alb from the late eighties on Homestead
          (called
          > something like 'Der Gotterdammerung') that includes a version
          of 'Guitar
          > Trio' performed by Chatham, Robert Longo and Susan Stenger - is
          this the
          > Band of Susans version you mention? Whatever, it doesn't sound much
          like the
          > 'sonic apocalypse' that Ranaldo described, more like The Feelies.

          Having seen Susan and pals perform it live, I can confirm that it's
          way, way more impressive live than on record. The Band of Susans
          version mentioned previously is presumably the one they released
          under their own name on the "Word and the Flesh" LP. The record on
          Homestead is a reissue of the one originally on Dossier, and is
          titled "Die Donnergotter".

          In my view, most of Rhys's recordings are over-polite, but I think
          that's a problem of the recording studio, not the music. It would
          still be great to see "Die Donnergotter" (and "Factor X", on Moers
          Music) back in print. Since Rhys is subscribed to this mailing list,
          perhaps he can tell us more?

          Kvetner
        • Rhys Chatham
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000

            > Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 10:14:15 -0000
            > From: "Kvetner Spoog" <kvetner.spoog@...>
            >Subject: Re: Guitar Trio

            Hi Kvetner,

            My friend Martin Wheeler forwarded me Gareth's original message and asked me if I had seen it, or if I've been asleep in front of my computer (I've been hibernating).

            >In my view, most of Rhys's recordings are over-polite, but I think
            >that's a problem of the recording studio, not the music.

            When we do this music live, we usually play it over PA systems of at least 10,000 watts. And we still blow the midrange woofers, sound engineers hate us in the clubs, we're anything but polite. This might be because of my hearing problem. We don't play at upper range volume levels in order to be aggressive, it's just that it's the only way I can HEAR what the heck we are doing.

            The recordings are mere representations of the live performances. The pieces are meant to be experienced viscerally and it's hard to get this effect over a 100 watt system; and for that reason I didn't allow the music to be recorded for a long time. But I finally realized that not having a document of the music wasn't a good idea, so I allowed records to be released, even though they imperfectly represent the live sound.

            > It would still be great to see "Die Donnergotter" (and "Factor X", on Moers
            >Music) back in print. Since Rhys is subscribed to this mailing list,
            >perhaps he can tell us more?

            Thanks very much for your kind words, which are much appreciated! There's going to be a release of a 3 CD boxed set of a lot of my out-of-print stuff from the 70s and 80s on the Table of Elements Records. It's due out next spring. It will include a new recording of An Angel Moves to Fast to See, an evening length set for 100 electric guitars, with Jonathan Kane (co-founder of Swans) on drums and Ernie Brooks (ex-Modern Lovers) on Bass. Also there will be some previously unrelased material.

            Guitar Trio and Drastic Classicism will also be on it. David Linton is the drummer. On guitars are Nina Canal, Joe Dizney, Scott Johnson, Ned Sublette, among others. Oh, Die Donnergotter will also be on the boxed set, with Karen Haglof, Robert Poss, Susan Stenger, Ben Neill, Tim Schellenbaum and Mitch Salmen, oh yeah and Bill Brovold (Vikings) and others on guitar, JP (he played with the Dictators for a time) is the drummer. Gee, I hope I didn't forget anyone...

            best,

            Rhys Chatham
            website: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rhys.chatham/