Re: What Do You Think of This?

  • Anders Dahl
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 1998
      >I write the Matmos article (they were the first to get back to me
      >which was very good of them), lay it out on the page and everything,
      >having been given the all-clear by the next guy up on the hierarchy,
      >next thing I know the editor tells me that 'this week's music page
      >isn't really what we're looking for', pulls the Matmos one because
      >'we don't really want articles on bands no-one's heard of', replaces
      >it with one featuring The Unbelievable Truth on the grounds that it's
      >band he's heard of (he's not too clued up on music, it must be said)
      >and effectively fires me.
      >
      >And I'm mightily pissed off about it! Now we have a music section
      >that looks like every other student paper music section, all of which
      >are modelled on the truly ghastly Melody Maker.
      >
      >So- what do you think of this whole thing?

      A student newspaper doesn't event have any real commercial pressures, which
      had made the reasoning behind the article replacement more understandable.
      I'm sorry for your sake. Running a student paper in the style of a
      commercial-we-only-want-to-make-more-money newspaper make no sense to me.

      Publish the article here on the mailinglist. I'm sure it will be more
      appreciated here than by your evil boss...

      anders.
    • Mark Coyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 1998
        Hi

        >So- what do you think of this whole thing?

        typical of the modern, commercial, thrusting, bland students of today with
        no fire in their belly.

        Cheers
        Mark
      • jk from mpls
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 1998
          ---John <W.J.Gibson@...> wrote:
          > next thing I know the editor tells me that 'this
          week's music page
          > isn't really what we're looking for', pulls the
          Matmos one because
          > 'we don't really want articles on bands no-one's
          heard of', replaces
          > it with one featuring The Unbelievable Truth on the
          grounds that it's
          > band he's heard of (he's not too clued up on music,
          it must be said)
          > and effectively fires me.

          Well, tell him that he's failed in his own right
          because I've never heard of The Unbelievable Truth,
          but I know of Matmos!

          Anyway, if you're feeling a bit energetic you could
          pull a little stunt. Print up your article on a
          newsprint insert (this is assuming that your student
          paper is printed on newsprint), and trek on down to
          the newspaper's distribution station bright & early
          at 4 AM and place the flier in as many issues of the
          paper as you can. Then it will be delivered as "part
          of the paper" after all. Since you are a newspaper
          employee, no one would stop you from doing it (like
          the editor is gonna be out of bed yet; he's gonna
          leave all the grunt work to everyone else). The
          distribution staff would assume it was a last minute
          ad they forgot to include. Heh heh. You could also
          just print them on standard copy paper & place them
          in issues as well. I used to go around the campus
          early on the day the special entertainment section
          was distributed and place my own articles & fliers in
          the issues that were sitting out so that everyone
          would be able to read my own contributions. Never got
          busted ...
        • mltsnt
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 1998
            At 05:07 PM 10/5/98 GMT0BST, you wrote:
            >I write the Matmos article (they were the first to get back to me
            >which was very good of them), lay it out on the page and everything,
            >having been given the all-clear by the next guy up on the hierarchy,
            >next thing I know the editor tells me that 'this week's music page
            >isn't really what we're looking for', pulls the Matmos one because
            >'we don't really want articles on bands no-one's heard of'

            ...hey man i'll be starting up a tiny zine here (though i've yet to decide
            if it'll be WEB or PHYSICAL) and i'd love to print your matmos interview...

            mlt/
            http://members.xoom.com/multsanta/